Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Where are all the LiPo fires?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clipper707, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Clipper707

I have never heard or read about a DJI LiPo Battery fire from any forum members.

Has anyone experienced this? Are the fears overblown?

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yes, they are overblown. However, it's still a possibility and you really don't know when or where it will happen. The few incidents I've heard of happened while charging the batteries.

3. Trumple

There was a story on here or the DJI forums of a guy who had a fire while charging his Phantom 2 battery

4. Buckaye

The only fire I saw was someone who deliberately punctured the battery of you-tube.... these batteries are pretty stable... used to see a lot more fires on CP Helicopters - but then again the crashes of those things were magnificent :)

BlackOpsTeamster likes this.
  5. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A myth? Don't believe it can happen to you? Tell that to these guys...

Lipo Battery Fires are Real

BlackOpsTeamster likes this.
  6. N017RW

Before the train veers too far...

We know about the dangers, especially while charging.
    That's where people can have the most opportunity to misuse the battery by forcing high C-rate charges, insuffucuent supervision, etc.

Crash damage or deliberate puncturing, etc. don't count.

The OP was asking specifically about DJI batts. and I have not heard of one but I'd think if one did the word would spread fast.

As much as I don't like it, their 'intellignet' interface has seemingly greatly reduced the risk. It will never be zero but the OP asks a good question

7. Holt

Lithium Ion batteries will cook off depending on the circumstances. Mostly when exposed to shock and damage, or used incorrectly. But it does happen, always be aware, I recommend carrying a lithium battery spill kit and a fire extinguisher rated for that sort of fire (I forget what rating it is, if have to go back and look).

8. Clipper707

Of course I believe it can happen, but anecdotal evidence doesn't tell me much about likelihood or probability, and definitely doesn't drive me to carry a fire extinguisher and a spill kit when I'm deciding what to lug around in my backpack.

If I was losing my forum friends here to LiPo spontaneous combustion events, I might alter my behavior. Truth is, I don't know of anybody experiencing a DJI battery flare-up. I don't know anybody who knows anybody.

And yes, I meant specifically the DJI batteries.

My own anecdotal experience is I've never had any issues. I've owned 7 P1 and 5 P2 batteries and I charge more than a teenage daughter with Daddy's Amex card.

Fplvert likes this.
  9. DroniRoma

Hi folks!

We just launched a LiPo Fire Accident Assessment Free Survey on Google Forms.

LiPo Fire Accident Free Assessment

The purpose of the Assessment is to build and share a free data base to document, analyse and increase awareness of LiPo Fires accidents happening worldwide.

Assessment results, and possibly a final analysis report, will be openly and freely available a few days after the deadline of October 15th, 2015 and published via @DroniRoma main social media channels (Twitter, G+, Instagram).

Whether you are a professional unmanned vehicle operator or an RC hobbyist, help sharing this survey within your fellows and circles if you like this initiative: the more people are involved, the more useful the assessment will be for the RC and professionals community!

All collected data will be anonymous, and completing the assessment is just a matter of less than a couple of minutes.

Thank you in advance for your time and contribution!
    - DroniRoma

10. m0j0

I think it is pretty unlikely. Yes I think it is overblown and 5 youtube videos as proof that it has happened doesn't change my opinion at all. In fact it proves my point. How many LiPo batteries out of what a million. Criminey!

11. RVD98072

I know that there are a lot of lipo fires but I haven't seen one with a dji battery since it has the BMS built in, etc.

I have personally never had a fire across all of my lipos (probably have around 40-50 of them at home). Just to play it safe, I usually store and charge them in my fireplace though. It is a bit of a pain since I store them in the fireplace, have to remove them all when charging, and then put them all back in when done. But I guess it's the price to pay to be safe. I could just charge with them in there but in case of fire, I didn't want 40-50 lipos all going up in smoke...

I build and ride electric bikes (endless sphere forums) so most of my lipos are for that hobby.