When is Phantom 5 release?

For those thinking that the P3As are a thing of the past, Amazon is getting a new shipment in about a week with scheduled delivery of March 24th. I just ordered one tonight ... $729 including tax with free Prime shipping.

What about P5 having same image sensor as P4P but retracting legs and 360º gimbal? Keep that under 2kg and at least for us in Oz it would mean a better camera platform without needing CASA licence etc. Question is, would that cannibalise Inspire sales?

Reactions: AyeYo
What about P5 having same image sensor as P4P but retracting legs and 360º gimbal? Keep that under 2kg and at least for us in Oz it would mean a better camera platform without needing CASA licence etc. Question is, would that cannibalise Inspire sales?
I'm curious how a 360deg gimble might be an advantage on a single operator AC. Add provision for second operator and an FPV camera and this would prove useful. Shouldn't impact on the inspire as it will always carry a significantly better imaging system.

Reactions: iClick
I'm curious how a 360deg gimble might be an advantage on a single operator AC. Add provision for second operator and an FPV camera and this would prove useful. Shouldn't impact on the inspire as it will always carry a significantly better imaging system.
Yes, 2nd operator option would be ideal however using autonomous flight apps such as Autopilot would benefit from 360º gimbal movement. Better to yaw the camera than trying to the yaw the aircraft.

For those thinking that the P3As are a thing of the past, Amazon is getting a new shipment in about a week with scheduled delivery of March 24th. I just ordered one tonight ... $729 including tax with free Prime shipping.
I hope you get accessories such as extra batteries or case for that price. P3P MSRP is $799 and can be had for less.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, 2nd operator option would be ideal however using autonomous flight apps such as Autopilot would benefit from 360º gimbal movement. Better to yaw the camera than trying to the yaw the aircraft.
I'm not sure if there is any significant advantage (camera rotation vs yaw) in autonomous flight however from a strict operator control perspective yawning the AC to maintain camera focus on a POI is significantly easier to manage than having a separate camera control to operate.

I have been researching and the one thing I have been watching are the announcements from Ambarella.. Their latest announcements I believe can give us a glimpse of what's to come. The P4P's chipset, the H1 - was developed way back in January 2015 (when the new announcement was released)..

Fast forward January 2016, they came out with the H2.. One thing I am interested in is in the description, it actually claims to have an image stabilization routine that can potentially eliminate the need for a mechanical gimbal.. This along with serveral mentions of 10 bit video processing.. Hmmmm..

https://www.ambarella.com/news/91/7...K-Ultra-HD-SoCs-for-Sports-and-Flying-Cameras

January 2017 We now have the H3..
.8K HD at 30fps.. The newest chipset from these guys claims to have a chip that will be able to execute flight control algorithms while doing the video processing.. (Room for other goodies?) There's also mention of HDR on all chips listed here, but there seems to be a bit more emphasis on this chipset.

https://www.ambarella.com/news/104/...HD-SoCs-for-Virtual-Reality-and-Drone-Cameras

Reactions: Dronefriend
I have been researching and the one thing I have been watching are the announcements from Ambarella.. Their latest announcements I believe can give us a glimpse of what's to come. The P4P's chipset, the H1 - was developed way back in January 2015 (when the new announcement was released)..

Fast forward January 2016, they came out with the H2.. One thing I am interested in is in the description, it actually claims to have an image stabilization routine that can potentially eliminate the need for a mechanical gimbal.. This along with serveral mentions of 10 bit video processing.. Hmmmm..

https://www.ambarella.com/news/91/7...K-Ultra-HD-SoCs-for-Sports-and-Flying-Cameras

January 2017 We now have the H3..
.8K HD at 30fps.. The newest chipset from these guys claims to have a chip that will be able to execute flight control algorithms while doing the video processing.. (Room for other goodies?) There's also mention of HDR on all chips listed here, but there seems to be a bit more emphasis on this chipset.

https://www.ambarella.com/news/104/...HD-SoCs-for-Virtual-Reality-and-Drone-Cameras
Really? All the smarts in the phantoms aren't DJiI original developments? Who would have thought. Yes- anbarela worth watching as are developments in camera technology. We know DJI doesn't design or make cameras either. Things maybe different no ambarella is owned by Intel.

I hope you get accessories such as extra batteries or case for that price. P3P MSRP is $799 and can be had for less.
I prefer to shop Amazon and their pricing showed the P3P to be $799 as you said (P3A at $699). I paid $699 plus tax. Currently I see the P3P at $758 (plus tax). I really don't need 4K and have found all the 2.7K video from my previous P3A to be adequate for my needs. I also prefer specific sellers that are "fulfilled by Amazon" as I've had to return 4 DJI Phantoms for technical issues and QA problems so I don't just order from anybody just because the price is lower. I've done that before and got a "returned" unit that wasn't refurbished but didn't work properly. Considering that I paid $999 for my first Phantom 3 Advanced when they first released, I'm happy with what I got. Also, the one I received works perfectly in every way with not a single issue.

Reactions: Damjo
Really? All the smarts in the phantoms aren't DJiI original developments? Who would have thought. Yes- anbarela worth watching as are developments in camera technology. We know DJI doesn't design or make cameras either. Things maybe different no ambarella is owned by Intel.

Movidius is the company you're thinking of.

I hope the "P5" will be a folding type like the Mavic, but with a camera as good or better that the current P4P.

I have the P4P and Mavic now and I really don't think you can beat the folding form factor of the Mavic... as a matter of fact I carry the Mavic in it's tiny backpack wherever I go... I only go for my P4P when I need the superior image quality.
Have you found the Mavic has less tolerance for wind?

My problem with upgrades is batteries. No problems going from P4 to PRO but I would bet my left one that the 5 will have a different battery and the TEN that I have sitting here now for the 4 series.... ho hum.... round we go again....
The Good side of it is when we get an update and it's attendant new battery we do get marginally better flight time.

I don't own a Mavic, but often fly with a friend who does and we're frequently in high winds. My observation is the Mavic is superior to my P3 in wind. The Phantom shape has a lot more sail for the wind to catch.

A Mavic-type airframe configuration with a P4P camera would be a worthy next-gen drone.

Mine complains about high wind with repeated warnings and distractions. I can see one warning, but constantly whining about the wind is rather annoying.

I think that before thinking about P5, we should see if Dji solves the P4P problems and the bugs in his camera. I would not like to buy a P5 and lose months waiting for updates or having to return it to Dji. We have already seen this with P4P, and we continue to see it after five months. It does not give me much reliability to buy a P5, knowing that P4P does not work correctly and has several faults that have not been corrected

Last edited:
Reactions: Arbutus
We have already seen this with P4P, and we continue to see it after five months. It does not give me much reliability to buy a P5, knowing that P4P does not work correctly and has several faults that have not been corrected
What faults would these be?
I haven't found any faults in mine.

What faults would these be?
I haven't found any faults in mine.

You are one of the lucky ones.
The P4P has two major problems that many owners have reported, and that is why they have returned the P4P to Dji. One is "frame jerk" and the other is "horizon tilt".
If you have time, check out the Dji forum, and you can check what I say. It is supposed that there is a chip in the camera, and in the next units will be replaced by a new one, and that is the cause of the recording failures. ( As an example if you select 4K and 60fps ) ( Is this true ?). There are more bugs, but they affect fewer units. Someone from Dji said that the next upgrade will fix the issues in the camera, we must wait and see if this is true.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka