When is Phantom 5 release?

Reaction score
I bought a P4 last May and use it for photography. I was tempted to go for a P4P when it was announced, because of the much improved camera. But I know as soon as I buy a P4P the P5 will come out with even better camera and other whizz-bang features.

Seems like DJI has released the next higher Phantom version every spring, and the Plus or Pro version every fall. So who has any info about when the P5 will be announced or released? Where does the DJI news first come out?

I bought a P4 last May and use it for photography. I was tempted to go for a P4P when it was announced, because of the much improved camera. But I know as soon as I buy a P4P the P5 will come out with even better camera and other whizz-bang features.

Seems like DJI has released the next higher Phantom version every spring, and the Plus or Pro version every fall. So who has any info about when the P5 will be announced or released? Where does the DJI news first come out?
P5 sounds interesting ,,hope it doesnt have big price ,,,$$$£££££$$$$$$

Oh, if only we knew.... <sigh>...
You'll have to wait, along with the other 10's of '000's like you and I...
In any event, I'll be waiting for the P6 as I still haven't completed my time with my P3.

Seems like DJI has released the next higher Phantom version every spring, and the Plus or Pro version every fall.
Every Spring and every Fall? Well it was every spring and fall in 2016 anyway.
Phantom 3 Pro and Adv, released in April 2015
Phantom 3 Standard released in August 2015
Phantom 4 released in March 2016
Phantom 4 Pro released in November 2016

I know as soon as I buy a P4P the P5 will come out with even better camera and other whizz-bang features.
DJI kept the same camera in the P3/P4 for almost two years
The P4 pro camera has only just been released and it's a huge improvement above what we were used to.
I wouldn't be expecting a new and better camera for quite a while.

The short answer is DJI will release a new model when they have a new model to release.
Holding off for some imagined future product doesn't make much sense.
If one of the current models does what you want/need, buy it.

I think at the moment DJI has a fair line up, seems the P3 series isn't being phased out just yet and with the P4P's camera the phantom line up offers something for almost everyone from the bigger to the full cinematographer without stepping into the realms of the Inspire. Tho I'd love something like an aspire or matrice 200 it's rather large.

Reactions: Damjo
Actually they did phase out the better part of P3. No more P3A or P. And right after Christmas too. First right after Christmas they drastically reduce the price of Pro to same price as Advanced without reducing Advanced price, then a month later neither are available.
Seems there's a minimum price DJI is willing to sell these units unless there's a stripped down version like the Standard. So when the later models start dropping in price thus pushing the older ones down, DJI discontinues them even if there still is decent demand for them.
I'm just concerned about still being able to get OEM consumables and accessories such as batteries and props, bug fixes in firmware and app, and repair parts.

Every Spring and every Fall? Well it was every spring and fall in 2016 anyway.
Phantom 3 Pro and Adv, released in April 2015
Phantom 3 Standard released in August 2015
Phantom 4 released in March 2016
Phantom 4 Pro released in November 2016

DJI kept the same camera in the P3/P4 for almost two years
The P4 pro camera has only just been released and it's a huge improvement above what we were used to.
I wouldn't be expecting a new and better camera for quite a while.

The short answer is DJI will release a new model when they have a new model to release.
Holding off for some imagined future product doesn't make much sense.
If one of the current models does what you want/need, buy it.
I would agree with your last paragraph but not the middle one. Remember they just took complete control of Hasselblad ( they were just part owners before) so I reckon the rate of camera tech and lens quality increase is going to be frightening. Of course the top end cameras may be first in line for the new stuff but the Phantoms won't be far behind.

I'm hoping that by the time the P5 comes out, it'll be time for an upgrade for me. My goal is to give my P3P a solid two years. I don't do enough commercial operations to justify getting every generation as they come out.

You won't see a significantly improved imaging system on any new phantom untill the sensor manufacturers release a new chip and the camera manufacturers have it in production. Same applies to the obstacle avoidance tech.

I will be surprised if we don't have some info on the next model at the end of May

Don't be too surprised if you don't see anymore Phantoms released by DJI. They talked about discontinuing the Phantoms up to 4. They might be hinting to a entirely new (Phantom Sized) bird that will be replacing the Phantoms. Who knows.

Don't be too surprised if you don't see anymore Phantoms released by DJI. They talked about discontinuing the Phantoms up to 4. They might be hinting to a entirely new (Phantom Sized) bird that will be replacing the Phantoms. Who knows.
Hi just started gettind adds about dji falcon,,,is this old or new

I hope the "P5" will be a folding type like the Mavic, but with a camera as good or better that the current P4P.

I have the P4P and Mavic now and I really don't think you can beat the folding form factor of the Mavic... as a matter of fact I carry the Mavic in it's tiny backpack wherever I go... I only go for my P4P when I need the superior image quality.

P5 sounds interesting ,,hope it doesnt have big price ,,,$$$£££££$$$$$$
It probably will be priced accordingly for Consumer Drones, depending on features they upgrade or incorporate. But, you can probably expect it to have a different battery again! That is where DJI makes their Money, Batteries.

I think at the moment DJI has a fair line up, seems the P3 series isn't being phased out just yet and with the P4P's camera the phantom line up offers something for almost everyone from the bigger to the full cinematographer without stepping into the realms of the Inspire. Tho I'd love something like an aspire or matrice 200 it's rather large.

The Matrice 200/210 variants seem like a great platform for mid level commercial use and is on the top of my list as of now. Diverse enough to accommodate all my near future needs...

My problem with upgrades is batteries. No problems going from P4 to PRO but I would bet my left one that the 5 will have a different battery and the TEN that I have sitting here now for the 4 series.... ho hum.... round we go again....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik