What to know before flying in Mexico?

You Don't Need to Shoot Down a Drone to Destroy It Anymore
gallery-1444329644-16546536684-153387d48d-k.jpg

Right... but is Mexico actually going to buy these for their minimum wage guards to play with? It's people taking photos, not ISIS invading.

I understand the not flying at historic sites in Mexico...but from what I've read you now need a permit no matter what in Mexico...but it's virtually impossible to find out the real rules. I called the Embassy in Washington DC, and they gave me an email address in Mexico - I sent an email but never got a reply.

I understand the not flying at historic sites in Mexico...but from what I've read you now need a permit no matter what in Mexico...but it's virtually impossible to find out the real rules. I called the Embassy in Washington DC, and they gave me an email address in Mexico - I sent an email but never got a reply.
Someone above posted that it was only for a 2kg or more drone. A phantom with a battery is only 1.2-1.3kg so you should be fine.

Someone above posted that it was only for a 2kg or more drone. A phantom with a battery is only 1.2-1.3kg so you should be fine.
Yeah I read those new regs - but it would be nice to have this info from a real authority in Mexico - or some real definitive proof. I look forward to hearing from some of the pilots who posted above who are going there now.

I just went there and had no problems
Mexico customs even held my phantom and just asked the value and put it back.
It's 1280 grams, less than the 2kg, and the batteries are less than 100 w/h
Drones aren't illegal or the "bad" thing
I was more worried about the batteries and how many I had due to conflicting answers when I called the airline.
Wife carried 2 batteries and I left one in the phantom as required.
As I read it, as long as the battery is installed in device it can be a checked bag
PHMSA - Lithium Batteries

Last edited:
Cozumel and Isla Mujeres are great spots if you are visiting the Cancun area.

A few of mine from two trips last year down there:

Cozumel:

Isla Blanca & Mujeres:

I love these videos, what camera are you using? Resolution? Frame rate?

I live in Mexico. The 2015 regulations have been superseded by regulations that were published in May of 2016. Oddly enough (or to be expected depending on how you look at) the link is broken where the rules were published in Mexico. I took my printed copies to a person high up in the federal system so he could get me a letter that seems to be the most important CYA document if you are here and flying all of the time. Other than staying away from restricted areas and 5nm away from heliports there are almost no unusual regulations regarding micro drones (less than 2kg) which applies to P4 pilots in the document that pertains to flying them. However, if you take photos or video then these are the main requirements (off the top of my head, sorry). And I know, who flies one of these without taking photos or video.

1. You must have an approval letter from SEDENA which is a federal military organization and the letter must state you have their permission to take photo or video from a drone.
  2. You must have a insurance liability policy that at the current exchange rate is equal to about $150,000 USD liability (should be $20 USD per month or less)
  3. You must have general aeronautical knowledge.
  4. You are supposed to register with DGAC which is the Mexican FAA.
Please Read On without being overly discouraged
I am relatively sure that these regulations are designed so they can be enforced when bad people use them against police operations or transporting things over the boarder etc... As stated I am trying to get the letter because I want to fly all year long but there is no real process to be found for getting that letter. Tried to get insurance from 3 insurance companies and they do not have such policies thus far. I am a licensed commercial helicopter pilot so aeronautical knowledge is covered. And there is no system I can find to register with DGAC.

Bottom line. Mexico has an amazing lifestyle, scenery and wonderful people once you get desensitized to the differences in government and culture. You can speed and fail to stop at stop signs every day for a decade and you will not likely get ticket but you can get stopped for nothing and you are best off giving up 100 pesos (five bucks) to save time. Be smart if you come down to Mexico to fly your drone and obey any rules you know in the states or elsewhere that are common sense. There were six drones flying in the fireworks last weekend (over the ocean) and I did not see any incidents. Liability insurance and personal injury lawyers are almost non-existent so you have to watch out for yourself. Know that if you launch around people you will be surrounded by many very quickly, mostly with smiles and questions so try to launch away from crowds. If Mexican national gets mad about what you are doing, you should stop doing it. The last thing you want to do is get in a fight in Mexico and tour of a Mexican jail.

As of this post someone I know recently brought a P4 in from a US flight and someone else I know had one shipped successfully from the US. I know several people both US and Mexican Nationals who fly without these requirements. But be prepared that rules and enforcement of rules often changes and are enforced differently in different regions. So just know that most likely you will have no issues whatsoever but there is always some risk operating a drone (or even a car for that matter) outside of your native land.

Most importantly when traveling anywhere outside of your comfort zone, ALWAYS have some cash because someone can generally resolve your problem for you with a few pesos.

Look under "Rules and Requlations" for a thread titled "Flyng in Mexico -Prohibited to Americans". According to the documents posted there, US citizens are not allowed to fly their drones in Mexico. If true, all of the regulations stated above would apply only to Mexican citizens, not tourist.

Reactions: Rob Levine
Look under "Rules and Requlations" for a thread titled "Flyng in Mexico -Prohibited to Americans". According to the documents posted there, US citizens are not allowed to fly their drones in Mexico. If true, all of the regulations stated above would apply only to Mexican citizens, not tourist.
I got that from the Mexican authorities. They told me over and over that no foreigners are allowed to fly drones in Mexico - particularly those from the U.S. They told me - also over and over that this situation will not change until Mexico and the US have a bilateral agreement on the use of UAS. Not likely to happen, IMO, in the time of Trump.

I got that from the Mexican authorities. They told me over and over that no foreigners are allowed to fly drones in Mexico - particularly those from the U.S. They told me - also over and over that this situation will not change until Mexico and the US have a bilateral agreement on the use of UAS. Not likely to happen, IMO, in the time of *****.
BTW - isn't it kind of infantile to replace the name of the current US president with a bunch of stars? We're not children here.

Reactions: danno02
I got that from the Mexican authorities. They told me over and over that no foreigners are allowed to fly drones in Mexico - particularly those from the U.S. They told me - also over and over that this situation will not change until Mexico and the US have a bilateral agreement on the use of UAS. Not likely to happen, IMO, in the time of *****.
Had the misfortune of hitting the random red button going through customs.
Agent picked up drone and asked "phantom"?
I said yes
He asked value
I said $600
He put it back and sent us on our way.

Well all this means is that I can or can't fly in Mexico. I'm leaving for Cozumel in a couple weeks and hope to bring a new Mavic. Just dont want to come home without it. :(

Well all this means is that I can or can't fly in Mexico. I'm leaving for Cozumel in a couple weeks and hope to bring a new Mavic. Just dont want to come home without it. :(

I know the feeling. Im going there on a cruise in a couple weeks and was planning on taking my P3 Pro. This was "what I thought" the only port out of the 4 that im stopping at that I can fly without issues.. I guess not now.. No sense dragging it along if I cant use it.

Yeah I read those new regs - but it would be nice to have this info from a real authority in Mexico - or some real definitive proof. I look forward to hearing from some of the pilots who posted above who are going there now.

So What would a P3 Pro weigh with battery, Gimbal guard, and prop guard brackets installed?

Greetings from the Emerald Isle, noob so-first post/question.

P3 pro user and as of yesterday Spark too! Have completed RPAS training and clocked 50 or so hours in the air-waiting for competency test-(IAA- FAA equivalent) for commercial uav licence in Ireland.

My question is this: I'm travelling to Mexico City and on to Puerta Vallarta/Punta Mita this week for vacation, I'm planning on bringing my new spark-purely for convenience and not to return from what I hope to be stunning vistas without air footage! I've read all the above threads-some good advice but as all things bureaucratic move so quickly and generally against our fantastic hobby, are there any new restrictions or do's and dont's I should consider?

Great forum I look forward to adding my "10 cents" in the future.

I live in Mexico. The 2015 regulations have been superseded by regulations that were published in May of 2016. Oddly enough (or to be expected depending on how you look at) the link is broken where the rules were published in Mexico. I took my printed copies to a person high up in the federal system so he could get me a letter that seems to be the most important CYA document if you are here and flying all of the time. Other than staying away from restricted areas and 5nm away from heliports there are almost no unusual regulations regarding micro drones (less than 2kg) which applies to P4 pilots in the document that pertains to flying them. However, if you take photos or video then these are the main requirements (off the top of my head, sorry). And I know, who flies one of these without taking photos or video.

1. You must have an approval letter from SEDENA which is a federal military organization and the letter must state you have their permission to take photo or video from a drone.
  2. You must have a insurance liability policy that at the current exchange rate is equal to about $150,000 USD liability (should be $20 USD per month or less)
  3. You must have general aeronautical knowledge.
  4. You are supposed to register with DGAC which is the Mexican FAA.
Please Read On without being overly discouraged
I am relatively sure that these regulations are designed so they can be enforced when bad people use them against police operations or transporting things over the boarder etc... As stated I am trying to get the letter because I want to fly all year long but there is no real process to be found for getting that letter. Tried to get insurance from 3 insurance companies and they do not have such policies thus far. I am a licensed commercial helicopter pilot so aeronautical knowledge is covered. And there is no system I can find to register with DGAC.

Bottom line. Mexico has an amazing lifestyle, scenery and wonderful people once you get desensitized to the differences in government and culture. You can speed and fail to stop at stop signs every day for a decade and you will not likely get ticket but you can get stopped for nothing and you are best off giving up 100 pesos (five bucks) to save time. Be smart if you come down to Mexico to fly your drone and obey any rules you know in the states or elsewhere that are common sense. There were six drones flying in the fireworks last weekend (over the ocean) and I did not see any incidents. Liability insurance and personal injury lawyers are almost non-existent so you have to watch out for yourself. Know that if you launch around people you will be surrounded by many very quickly, mostly with smiles and questions so try to launch away from crowds. If Mexican national gets mad about what you are doing, you should stop doing it. The last thing you want to do is get in a fight in Mexico and tour of a Mexican jail.

As of this post someone I know recently brought a P4 in from a US flight and someone else I know had one shipped successfully from the US. I know several people both US and Mexican Nationals who fly without these requirements. But be prepared that rules and enforcement of rules often changes and are enforced differently in different regions. So just know that most likely you will have no issues whatsoever but there is always some risk operating a drone (or even a car for that matter) outside of your native land.

Most importantly when traveling anywhere outside of your comfort zone, ALWAYS have some cash because someone can generally resolve your problem for you with a few pesos.

Great information! I had another member here tell me about an import charge, true? We are going back to Cancun in a few months and was thinking about bringing along an AIR. When I asked about it, this is what I was told:

Well hold on to your hat here’s the scoop. Just off the press Customs charges 16% of the value of the drone to import it. They look it up online and swag it up to a max of 200.00 US dollars. A one time charge to import the drone. I’m my case I’m a Commercial pilot and I can’t even bring it into the country. I come to Cobo so often and MX is so corrupt it’s not even with it. Save you hard earned money and drone and just be a tourist. Hope this has helped. Safe travels.

Im leaving for Mexico next week. I have a Phantom 4 but thinking of getting a Spark because it's small.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj