What to know before flying in Mexico?

Belive me or not, I came back 30 min ago. I'm still in Mexiko, it's my honeymoon.

I buyed my drone only for this Trip, and I was really pissed of..

This is what I understand also. I'm flying into Cancun in 2 weeks. I'll be taking the phantom as I did last year with no problems at all. I'll update the thread on my experience.
I'm flying to Puerto Vallarta on Monday with my drone
Will post videos when I get back.
Did it last year without any issue.
I would post a vid but it's with my old FC40 and you would laugh at the quality

I will be in Yucatán and Cozumel next week. I am planning on flying my butt off

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Awesome! It would be great to have the thread updated with your experience at the border and any issues with authorities.

Have a great time!

Guys ! Let's make something clear :) I just back from mexico and rules are

Not fly on night
Don't transport illegal items (like drugs)
50m away from people
I think it Was max 120m high
And 9km away from any airport !

This is the rules i was told in chichen itza when i try fly there ! My drone was taken from me and card deleted ! I was lucky they returned my drone ! I use program for back up deleted files so i have my videos and photos back But i was told is close to airport and it is true if you check map!
In playa is small airport ! In Tulum is airport mexican air base you can check on map ! So you fly on own risk ! I flying in tulum for 10 min because i was not aware of this ! Little plane nearly hit my drone ! I was so scared and land quick :( You can fly over cenotes and other places in rules abowe !

Hope make this little bit clear as i cant find any info in december :)

I just got back from Puerto Vallarta.
No issues with bringing drones or batteries on plane or flying in mexico and since we had connecting flights it was multiple times of bringing it through security.
My wife did hit the random red button in customs in mexico.
They opened the case and the agent lifted the drone out and asks "phantom?".
I said yes and he asked the value and put it back.
I was even within the yellow zone of the Airmap app in the marina but still didn't show up as a NFZ.
Even saw another phantom fly by our boat in the marina.

I just got back from Puerto Vallarta.
No issues with bringing drones or batteries on plane or flying in mexico and since we had connecting flights it was multiple times of bringing it through security.
My wife did hit the random red button in customs in mexico.
They opened the case and the agent lifted the drone out and asks "phantom?".
I said yes and he asked the value and put it back.
I was even within the yellow zone of the Airmap app in the marina but still didn't show up as a NFZ.
Even saw another phantom fly by our boat in the marina.

Fantastic update! Glad you were successful. I'm heading to Cancun tomorrow. I'll post my experience when I return.

Cheers!

noob here so my vids aren't the best
sunrise by Paradise Village.
We could see jets taking off from airport but still safe to fly
I did get a Class D advisory on my go app when we were out in the ocean. Can't find anything that would make it possible
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fantastic update! Glad you were successful. I'm heading to Cancun tomorrow. I'll post my experience when I return.

Cheers!
I had various answers on the batteries, one person I talked to at the airline said to remove battery from drone but online it said to keep it in device.
One person didn't even know what a drone was and had to look up battery requirements online.
Pack Safe
I had my wife carry the 2 spare batteries and had the electrical connections taped up.
Nobody looked at anything.
I had everything printed out and knew the batteries were less than 100 w/hr
One suggestion is to get more sd cards unless you delete the bad vids as you go. I do short video clips but maxed out 2 16gb cards and used part of a 8gb and was only using 1080p

I tried flying my mavic in COBA, and they made me take it down immediately they have security everywhere, they are on point. So i tried my luck at TULUM, didnt go so well 30 seconds after i took off 3 security guards came out of nowhere i even took off away from everyone i went to a far corner to avoid people, they told me to take it down and that i needed to go with him because flying the drone at tulum is a federal crime idk if he was bsing but i was scared, they made me delete everything in my phone and told me i jad to leave. So if you guys are planning to fly at these places be very careful... anywho here is one of the 5 pictures they deleted of TULUM

Attachments

• IMG_20170110_205708_860.jpg
    IMG_20170110_205708_860.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 988
Hello,

The security gut froh citchen itza sayd this Regulation is one week old. And They have an Signal who makes you lost your Signal froh your Drohne. A Yuneec Drohne just Fall down, so no Other drohnes ca fly jet.
If They See you flying, They will take your Drohne and you can go home without.
I'll try to talk to this idiot more than 30mins that my drone is no Yuneec ****, but He does'nt care.

Greez from Xpu-Ha

What you're trying to say is that security at Chichen Itza have frequency jammers that interrupt the drones and make them fall?

Yes violence is scary. I'm here with my phantom flying lots! Absolutely no issues at all bringing along the phantom. All packed in the dji hardshell as carry on luggage.

Reactions: Budman
So it sounds like you all have had similar experiences to me... I've tried to do 3 different Mexican ruins: the Tepozteco in Morelos (central Mexico), Coba, and Tulum. Every single time I've had the same reaction from the guards. They tell me that I can't fly there and chase me off. Drone operators are pretty easy to spot since crowds quickly gather to see what you're doing. I was planning on going back this year and would really like to get more pictures though. Does anyone know the CORRECT way to get permission to fly? They always told me I needed a permit but NOBODY could tell me where or how that happens. I'd gladly pay.

Also, someone mentioned a signal jammer at Chichen Itza. Are they doing that everywhere now? I was able to get pictures of Tulum by launching from a public beach away from the ruins and flying over the ocean. I might try that again but would be afraid that they might use some type of anti-drone technology to knock it out of the sky (with more people flying these days I'd be afraid of anything from signal jammers to projectiles).

Attached are a couple of my previous pics (taken a couple years ago) for those of you that wanted pics but got chased off.
coba.jpg Tulum.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers