Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What to know before flying in Mexico?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Speziale, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Michael Speziale

I'm taking a trip to a resort in Mexico over the summer, and I want to know what I have to do to legally fly in That country. I read somewhere that you have to acquire something along the lines of a drone permit, but I just wanted to know exactly what steps I should take. Thanks!!

2. dand.

#2 dand., Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. 185EZ

#3 185EZ, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. 185EZ

#4 185EZ, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  5. MALWAIR

I'm glad this question was brought up. I plan to fly my P3P in Cozumel this summer as well.

6. Hemar174

i flew in mexico last year, in Cancun at the beach, in Merida in one cenote, in san Miguel allende around town etc.... but wen i try to fly in places like chichen itza , or in teotihuacan immediately the guards come and say that you can not fly in that places without permissions....... at least I could take some pictures and videos here is the "piramide del sol"

Attached Files:

#6 Hemar174, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    dudemang likes this.
  7. Michael Speziale

I'm going to Cabo San Lucas, and I read several places online that they are allowed on carry on. Even with the batteries, currently.

8. damoncooper

Cozumel and Isla Mujeres are great spots if you are visiting the Cancun area.

A few of mine from two trips last year down there:

Cozumel:

Isla Blanca & Mujeres:

irenavision likes this.
  9. RVD98072

I was in Puerto Vallarta last week and nobody gave me any trouble. I was sort of discreet and flew pretty high and fast (didn't hover close to anybody). I took off once from a beach that was away from any hotels (so nobody really there). I also flew a lot from my hotel when I moved to another location much further away from the airport.

There was one area (Marina) that's close to the airport so I didn't fly much there (only for about 5 minutes and brought it back down) but there was another random guy flying his drone out in the open in the middle of the beach closer to the airport than I was, etc. Although it's technically only a few miles from the airport, airplanes don't go in this area because it's full of hotel resorts so all airplanes fly another route away from here.

I stuck with US laws that I know...so I stayed under 400 ft, etc.

James Taylor likes this.
  10. irenavision

beautiful footage damoncooper! I am going going to Mexico, Tulum area in a couple of weeks. Getting very excited. I am a newbie to drones so just getting my feet wet with some practice runs over lakes in Jersey. I have been researching whether or not to turn off the VPS system on the Phantom 3 pro when flying over water and coming up with different answers. Did you fly with the VPS on or disabled? Your footage is so fluid and cinematic. Curious if you are using any of the automated modes on the Phantom like waypoint or the litchi ap or is this all controlled by you? Its gonna take a lot of practice time on my part to get footage anywhere near this level but am eager to learn:)

11. JohnK

I fly over water all the time with my P3P and have never turned the VPS off. 150 flights, no issues.

#11 JohnK, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016