What to know before flying in Mexico?

What part are you going to? I was in Cancun Mid April. I have a P3P and was going to pick up an AIR, but the stories I heard scared me off from doing that. Not sure I want some Mexican Immigration officer taking my stuff, or making me pay a few hundred dollars as an "import tax". But then, perhaps a small Spark could go un-noticed deep in a backpack or rolled up in socks in baggage. If you take it with you, good luck!

I am heading to Cabo San Lucas next week. Last year I didn't bring my P4P but asked around and even the local policia said it's no problem to fly it.
But I am still scared about Mexican customs taking it or charging me an "import tax" too.
Has anyone been to Mexico lately with their drone?

What part are you going to? I was in Cancun Mid April. I have a P3P and was going to pick up an AIR, but the stories I heard scared me off from doing that. Not sure I want some Mexican Immigration officer taking my stuff, or making me pay a few hundred dollars as an "import tax". But then, perhaps a small Spark could go un-noticed deep in a backpack or rolled up in socks in baggage. If you take it with you, good luck!
My wife haven't decided what resort yet. I figured a spark would give me pretty good pics for just vacation pics.

I'm going to Cabo San Lucas, and I read several places online that they are allowed on carry on. Even with the batteries, currently.
im going to Cabo with my P4P on december 10th 2018 about 2 weeks away.. i wrote to the resort im staying at and they said its ok there.. but i see you have already been there.. what was your trip like ? customs ? etc. etc.

I took my P4 down to Cabo and a few other spots along the coast of Mexico. No issues at all. Although I found out later that the cruise ship I was on had an absolute ban on drones. Which I thought odd as I took it on and off the boat multiple times and no one questioned me, not once.

I did get a few questions from other tourists, a wave or two from a few folks out on board local boats, that was it. I got the sense that local cops didn’t much care one way or the other. I heard after the fact that the cruise people really only get upset about it, if you make it obvious that your have one or try to use it on or near the ship. I didn’t know it was an issue, and wasn’t about to try to fly from the boat. So I never have any issues with it.

Last edited:
speaking from experience ?
Yes. Multiple times, multiple locations. petty Corruption like this is so deeply ingrained in the Mexican system as to be ridiculous. It’s usually pretty much a free for all on stuff like this, but don’t be surprised if some officer comes up and applies a $50 drone fee, go ahead and give it to him and he’ll take it to the appropriate license office for you. It’s the way of life down there, it helps if you have a local with you, Unaccompanied foreigners are easy pickins’.. you’ll be fine at the resort, the owners won’t let them piss off the guests like that, but don’t be surprised if it rears its head elsewhere.

Mexico passed a law on the 25th of July 2017, see it here: http://www.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGAC-archivo/modulo3/co-av-23-10-r4.pdf

I've just spent the last 4 h studying it in details & it simply forbids foreigners from flying in the country by default as you need to be registered. And to even have a chance, you need a local ID.. full results of the research here; https://www.drone-made.com/blog/mexico-drone-laws My Spanish is ok but not perfect so please feel free to correct me if I missed a point.

Mexico passed a law on the 25th of July 2017, see it here: http://www.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGAC-archivo/modulo3/co-av-23-10-r4.pdf

I've just spent the last 4 h studying it in details & it simply forbids foreigners from flying in the country by default as you need to be registered. And to even have a chance, you need a local ID.. full results of the research here; https://www.drone-made.com/blog/mexico-drone-laws My Spanish is ok but not perfect so please feel free to correct me if I missed a point.
Yes that is the law - quite clear. But no one follows it - but if you fly in Mexico anyways that will always be hanging in the background.

Yes that is the law - quite clear. But no one follows it - but if you fly in Mexico anyways that will always be hanging in the background.
And note how it subtly takes a dig at the US President - they want a bi-lateral agreement with the US for drones - but they hate our president.

UPDATE: Fly with my drones around Mexico all of the time. Always with 4 batteries. This trip today(Mexico City Airport) they told me max 2 batteries per drone. I have two drones with 4 each. They made my wife (who is Mexican so so I expect it would have been difficult for a non-spanish speaking American) go back out of security box them and check them. And checking them is what logic and their own regs say to never do. POINT - Traveling from or laying over in MX City and having to clear security could cost you two batteries (or not. I have made the same trip a dozen times and they said no regs changed). Other airports in MX hardly pay attention to them. And transferring thru MX city is fine. As is my usual advice in Mexico be build expectations that anything can change anytime. For what it's worth.

Reactions: Dronemade

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka