What temperature is too low to fly

Reaction score
I was wondering how cold it needs to get before it's not advisable to fly the phantom 2? I have been flying when it's in the upper 30's. Will it do any damage to the battery or electronics if I were to fly it below freezing?

Martycox51 said:
I was wondering how cold it needs to get before it's not advisable to fly the phantom 2? I have been flying when it's in the upper 30's. Will it do any damage to the battery or electronics if I were to fly it below freezing?

Luckily I live in Florida so very little to worry about here :)

However, as far as the electronics go - freezing temp shouldn't be too big of an issue... you want to keep your batteries fairly warm because you don't want them going from freezing to operating temp in the span of a flight...

I have read on some other posts some concern over condensation and the electronics? Though I have to say - I have not read anywhere where someone has actually had an issue with condensation because of flying in cold weather... but maybe worth mentioning.

anyway - there's a lot of videos of people flying in freezing temps - I think... like with everything... the more you can avoid going from one extreme to another the better - especially with things that heat up under normal usage (the battery, the motors) - try to keep them warmer until you fly...

I have never had any issues down to zero degrees Fahrenheit, I have seen some weird flight behavior at -5 below and colder
My personal rule of thumb is to not fly below zero(F) degrees

Alaska-Flyer said:
I have never had any issues down to zero degrees Fahrenheit, I have seen some weird flight behavior at -5 below and colder
My personal rule of thumb is to not fly below zero(F) degrees

my personal rule of thumb is to not go outside in below zero :) Yikes - though I hear Alaska is beautiful!

Been flying in around -15C (5F) with no problem. Only thing is the battery, you should be really careful with the voltage, because it will drop down faster. Getting my first battery warning around 35% and it goes to autoland really fast. Still getting flight times of 13 minutes or so with my setup

The specs on DJI's web site say's the operating temperature is -10 C (14F) to 50 C (122F) I myself have flown at -17 C (0F) with no problems, but like mentioned before the cold will affect the battery and reduce your flight time.

I flew on a frozen lake last week. It was -8c. I flew for 12min and landed at around 37%. My fingers were frozen, had a blast following a guy on his quad while he pulled his kids thou. The flight was fine, at one point it seemed to do a dip but maybe it was my frozen fingers.

madsonp said:
The specs on DJI's web site say's the operating temperature is -10 C (14F) to 50 C (122F) I myself have flown at -17 C (0F) with no problems, but like mentioned before the cold will affect the battery and reduce your flight time.

-10 C for the Phantom 2, but I also believe I read the DJI's specs stated the the FC200 camera should only be operated to 0 Degrees? Can anyone comment on What temperature is too low to fly ... With the FC200 Camera?

Thanks

I was flying outside yesterday at 38*f and just after takeoff I made it out maybe 15-20 ' with a full battery. All of the sudden the phantom decided to quit running and shut off in mid air.

Luckily I was only about 10' up. The battery popped out and phantom landed on its top shell.

However I believe at the altitude of 2800' there is a lot more cold air and moisture. Plus with all of the snow already on the ground now melting it just adds more.

I would venture a guess that battery temperature would be the vital and crucial factor here. I keep my batteries warmed in the car, or even in my pocket when it's cold. We seldom have temps below freezing where I live and work, and when it IS that cold, I'd rather be close to a heater with a libation!

I've been in Indiana in November when it was minus 4 F. Even the birds were smart enough not to try flying!

Last edited:
Has anyone flown their Phantom 3Pro in -23C weather? I doubt its possible, but would love to fly over the frozen lake. Yes I'm in Canada, northern Ontario...

Has anyone flown their Phantom 3Pro in -23C weather? I doubt its possible, but would love to fly over the frozen lake. Yes I'm in Canada, northern Ontario...

Unless you own a phantom 2 you might get faster response if you posted you question in the P3 discussion thread

or fly from inside your car :) Keeping an eye on the drone of course!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl