What height?

Reaction score
Is there any way of telling the height of the Drone from a picture it took? Took this yesterday but didn't look at the altitude on GO.

Attachments

• DJI_0003.jpg
    DJI_0003.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 2,659
Is there any way of telling the height of the Drone from a picture it took? Took this yesterday but didn't look at the altitude on GO.
In Windows 7 and probably most others, you can right click to bring up the menu, then at the bottom lrft click on properties. This open a new menu with General, Security, Details, Previous versions tabs across the top. Standard file properties in Windoze. Click Details and it will open a Loooong list of the EXIF data for the file which will include the Lat, Lon and Baro Altitude. That altitude is not absolute, but is the height the drone thought it was at, based on the barometric pressure altimeter built in. NOTE: it is in meters

Attachments

• Drone_Altitude.jpg
    Drone_Altitude.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,158
Reactions: Ansia and Bairdata
In Windows 7 and probably most others, you can right click to bring up the menu, then at the bottom lrft click on properties. This open a new menu with General, Security, Details, Previous versions tabs across the top. Standard file properties in Windoze. Click Details and it will open a Loooong list of the EXIF data for the file which will include the Lat, Lon and Baro Altitude. That altitude is not absolute, but is the height the drone thought it was at, based on the barometric pressure altimeter built in. NOTE: it is in meters

There are two altitudes listed in the EXIF data, in three fields:

Absolute Altitude : +2849.93​
Relative Altitude : +73.00​
GPS Altitude Ref : Above Sea Level​
GPS Altitude : 2849.9 m Above Sea Level​

Note that "Relative altitude" is the barometric altitude relative to the takeoff point, and is the only one accurate enough to use. "Absolute altitude" and "GPS altitude" are the same quantity but, just to be confusing, are not derived from GPS data - they are absolute barometric altitudes above MSL based on a standard atmosphere. Those are not reliably accurate since the atmosphere is rarely standard.

Also note that if the absolute barometric altitude is negative (pressure is higher than at sea level in a standard atmosphere) then "Absolute altitude" will read negative but "GPS Altitude Ref" will change to "Below Sea Level" and "GPS Altitude" will be set to zero:

Absolute Altitude : -76.69​
Relative Altitude : +31.60​
GPS Altitude Ref : Below Sea Level​
GPS Altitude : 0 m Above Sea Level​

Interesting. Mine gives them in feet instead of meters. Perhaps it allocates the measuring system you have set in your DJI Go app?

Edit: Pay no mind to this post. You are correct. They are in meters. I miscalculated.

That's strange - I've never seen EXIF data in anything other than metric units.
I corrected my previous post. When I started looking at other photos that I knew I was high enough and checked the height, I noticed that they were indeed in meters. From the perspective of the original sample I used to check that out, it didn't look very high.

47 meters is my guess

I don't see any mention of altitude in my photo EXIF data or am I not understanding this??

Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera Model: FC300S
Camera Software: Photos 4.0
Maximum Lens Aperture: f/2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv): 20 m

Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution: 72 dpi
Vertical Resolution: 72 dpi
Image Created: 2019:02:03 11:53:30
Exposure Time: 167/250000 sec
F-Number: f/2.8
Exposure Program: Normal Program
ISO Speed Rating: 100
Lens Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Subject Distance: 0.00 m
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
Light Source: Unknown
Flash: No Flash Function
Focal Length: 3.61 mm
Color Space Information: Uncalibrated
Image Width: 4000
Image Height: 3000
Exposure Index: 0
Rendering: Normal
Exposure Mode: Auto
White Balance: Auto
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Gain Control: None
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Subject Distance Range: Unknown

Other Properties:
Resolution Unit: i
Exif IFD Pointer: 206
Exif Version: 2.30
Image Generated: 2019:02:03 11:53:30
Image Digitized: 2019:02:03 11:53:30
Meaning of Each Comp: Unknown
Image Compression Mode: 3.3
Shutter Speed: 1/1495 sec
File Source: Other
Scene Type: Unknown
Digital Zoom Ratio: Unused

I don't see any mention of altitude in my photo EXIF data or am I not understanding this??

Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera Model: FC300S
Camera Software: Photos 4.0
Maximum Lens Aperture: f/2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv): 20 m

Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution: 72 dpi
Vertical Resolution: 72 dpi
Image Created: 2019:02:03 11:53:30
Exposure Time: 167/250000 sec
F-Number: f/2.8
Exposure Program: Normal Program
ISO Speed Rating: 100
Lens Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Subject Distance: 0.00 m
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
Light Source: Unknown
Flash: No Flash Function
Focal Length: 3.61 mm
Color Space Information: Uncalibrated
Image Width: 4000
Image Height: 3000
Exposure Index: 0
Rendering: Normal
Exposure Mode: Auto
White Balance: Auto
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Gain Control: None
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Subject Distance Range: Unknown

Other Properties:
Resolution Unit: i
Exif IFD Pointer: 206
Exif Version: 2.30
Image Generated: 2019:02:03 11:53:30
Image Digitized: 2019:02:03 11:53:30
Meaning of Each Comp: Unknown
Image Compression Mode: 3.3
Shutter Speed: 1/1495 sec
File Source: Other
Scene Type: Unknown
Digital Zoom Ratio: Unused

You are only seeing a partial set of EXIF data. You need a better EXIF reader.

RATS....without the official Chedder data we will not be able to have a winner. :) email it to me and I will extract the EXIF for us (so that It matches MY estimate)

Ah - you were actually looking at the image file in post #1. That is not straight from the aircraft - it was processed in Google Photos and the location and altitude data was removed. Your EXIF list was still incomplete though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing