Vision+ Utility Flight Logger Dashware

jfields026 said:
flyNfrank said:
jfields026 said:
Did anyone ever find a solution to the blank log files?
1. Starting the Phantom, Range Extender, and Remote
2. Connecting to the Phantom wifi
3. Opening the logger app and starting the log
4. Waiting for the spinning icon to disappear
5. Increasing the camera transmit power (is this step really needed?)
6. Opening the DJI app (which is usually still showing the camera screen)
7. After I'm done flying and have landed I go back to the logger app and stop the logging
8. Turn off the Phantom, Range Extender, and Remote

Thanks

I'm on android so I don't know if this part matters or not....But there is something that stood out in reading your steps you take. On #6 you mentioned "(which is usually still showing the camera screen)"....If you see the camera screen at this point you have not been doing the process correctly. You should not see the camera screen until the absolute very last thing, prior to starting the motors.

When selecting your quad from the wifi list, after clicking on it a message box should open which show the word "Connect"(plus a few other words). You select connect, and then select the desktop option where you will open the V+PU app and make your selections. Now go back to dji app and select back button to enter the camera screen and observe the satellite number.....and you know the rest to do.

I'm doing all of that. On the iPhone I connect to wifi in step 2 above. Step 6 where the camera is already open, the DJI app remembers how I left it so usually when I open their app, the camera is still up. When I say logger in steps 3 & 7 I'm taking about the V+PU app. I'm still only getting partial files or blank files. Most of them are blank and the ones that have something start mid-flight.

Ok I think I'm following a little better now. I'm almost positive the V+PU app is not fully compatible, yet, with apple. There is something that system checks for that causes issues. I think it has to do with checking for advertisements in a certain manner? You can find talk on that subject in the main thread that was originally created for the V+PU. I use a Nexus 7 and with it being 7 inches in viewing size it simply blows away using any smart phone when navigating is concerned. The cost for a cheap android tablet shouldn't be that much. I'll admit the video you see when flying is still not that of watching 1080p played back. But it is a great deal better due to the size alone.

I have been beta testing this app for some time now and have countless hours in working with it. I have experienced quite a bit thus far. We should get a new update with in the next day or two that will add additional columns in the flight logger, plus other stuff. The current setup does not need the Pitch, Roll, and Yaw columns. But they will now have to leave them installed because I'm sure some customers have created custom Data Profiles, and Gauges using those columns that would cause their stuff to stop functioning should they remove them.

Btw, on a android setup, you never see the camera page until the very last before powering the motors.

justin00 said:
Yeah I get the other fields and purpose, just wasn't sure how to interpret the pitch, thanks for the explanation of it all though :)

I have finally got my first vid working with data synced.. it was alot less messing around then I thought it would be.. very easy actually (once you figure it out hehe). Hardest bit was figuring out how to offset the data file.

Reason I ask I about pitch is there is a phantom gauge on the dashware site to download and it says you do something with the pitch to work out easily where the sync points are in the video.

Anyways now I need to decide if I shall buy it or not.. only $50 so quite affordable. I don't really do alot of videos but perhaps if I had data being overlayed I would be more enticed to... Having the tele data being displayed really adds a nice feel to the video.. makes up for the lack of sound :)

Last thing.. in another thread someone mentioned being able to monitor each motors rpm/power.. is this something the flytrex system does.. I couldn't find those fields in the CSV files so it doesn't look like this app supports that.. but I'm guessing the apps doesn't support it because the phantom doesn't support it ?? Being able to monitor each motors rpm etc etc would be cool to troubleshoot..

The Phantom Guage is just a image. It has no function. There is a video from a pilot that uploaded it in the main thread, I believe. His video has a gauge he created which uses the pitch data. It was added last week, maybe a week from today. The video is basically to show the working on the gauge.

$50 is nothing if you know you will use the software. The way I look at it is, with winter being close means I personally will not be testing like I do in our current weather. More pilots are online that will let you know how nice your videos look should you add dashware stuff to them. The number one thing I do not care for is how long I have to wait for a larger video to render. I had like over 3hrs into a 7 + minute video not including the youtube time involved.

Monitoring each motor. This is a badass idea, but not possible. I say that based on the dashware side of things. I have not seen anything from dji or dashware anywhere that would even hint the info is available. There is a TON of data that can currently be used from the flight logger. But....the developer just needs to add a column to recover the data. I almost had to use a cuss word or two just to get the columns I mentioned agreed to be added.

If developers go on working with this app I have something to add to the wishlist:
1. output data in gpx format, that is an interchange format for gps data
2. I think it would be possible obtain date/time data: kml file reports timestamp data (millisecond) that I was able to convert in date/time data using an excel formula; date/time data are not correct, but I think it would be possible to match them with a right date/time data, for example obtained from the clock of the device, and then sync .....

Otherwise I have to make the long procedure I showed in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLlJnSIAK8A&list=UUTyadTQAvR5ZBUtExyngM6w

This is how i synch. Right click video file and select properties.
You will have the gps time stamp of when vidoeo started.
If you dont you can download a media file viewer.
Check the file name of logged file. The time is included.
Now you have the offset to the second which you enter in Dashware.

I just did a test to see if this worked..
I ssh'd into both extender and phantom

and did this to check radio TX levels

extender:
root@Phantom:~# uci get wireless.radio0.txpower

Phantom:
root@Phantom:~# uci get wireless.radio0.txpower

All good so far... default settings.. then on my phone I connected to wireles.. and loaded up the app and connected.. clicked on range extender and changed to 17 and clicked ok... then did the same for camera.

ran the same uci commands and nothing changed.... it was still 12 and 7 !!

I don't have iwconfig tools installed.. so I'm pretty sure I can use "uci get" to get the settings..

I have a samsung s5... it appears as if the app isn't changing the settings ???

Also I thought the app installed openwrt (but I might be wrong about that)

Bit concerned now the app has been running but not working..

???

tried the app on another phone and got same result :(

also tried adding this to /etc/rc.local uci set wireless.radio0.txpower=17
but after a reboot the command was still there but it went back to default.. something is obviously running after it starts up.

if i type

uci set wireless.radio0.txpower=17
then do

uci get wireless.radio0.txpower
it shows 17

I am going to install iwconfig and double check the app is not working for me..but suspect its not

Hmm occured to me perhaps your not using uci to set power... if thats not the case curious to hear how you do it?? iwconfig isnt installed so it cant be doing that..

I have modified /etc/config/wireless to have 17 as the perm setting..

Also in other threads they talk about setting power to 27-30dbm.. but your app only goes to 20 anyways. Is that the max of the device and people doing 20+ arent gaining anything??

Anyways awaiting your response :)
Thanks and sorry for being annoying..

Hi there
Just tried your app for first time on my Galaxy Note 3.
Followed your steps and found the VisionPlusUtility file on my phone.
The file under that is called vpu2014.10.11.11.00.52.raw and 681KB in size.
Is that correct?
Is so, how do I convert to CSV for export to my computer to use in Dashware? :?:

Your help will be appreciated.

justin00 said:
Hmm occured to me perhaps your not using uci to set power... if thats not the case curious to hear how you do it?? iwconfig isnt installed so it cant be doing that..

Also in other threads they talk about setting power to 27-30dbm.. but your app only goes to 20 anyways. Is that the max of the device and people doing 20+ arent gaining anything??

The source code for our free version vision+ utility is at https://github.com/taco-rc/VisionPUtility

We use iw to change the tx power.

GustavL said:
Hi there
Just tried your app for first time on my Galaxy Note 3.
Followed your steps and found the VisionPlusUtility file on my phone.
The file under that is called vpu2014.10.11.11.00.52.raw and 681KB in size.
Is that correct?
Is so, how do I convert to CSV for export to my computer to use in Dashware? :?:

Your help will be appreciated.

You may need to reboot your device. I have to do this when using my Nexus 7. However, the raw file was put in place in case you failed to properly shut the app down before powering down your quad.

Btw, another option to find the .csv and .kml files in the VisionPlusUtility folder was to install a file manager app such as ES File Explorer. Once I learned I needed to reboot my tablet I never used the app again.

Just make sure you close out the Utility and Flight Logger before powering down the quad, and you will be ok.

Thanks for your help flyNfrank

I rebooted my device but it's still the .raw file.

I did try to close the logger after the flight, but the box was already un-ticked. So, the logger must have stopped already during the flight. I read somewhere it will do that after 5 minutes. Don't know if that is correct.

Is there a way to convert the .raw file to .csv

Did you keep app open and then open DJI app?
If you close app it will untick box and not work. Atleast thats how it works on my S5..

Also it shouldnt stop after 5 mins..mine will stay open the full battery and let me untick(save/write log to file).. just remember to keep app open
GustavL said:

I did try to close the logger after the flight, but the box was already un-ticked. So, the logger must have stopped already during the flight. I read somewhere it will do that after 5 minutes. Don't know if that is correct.

GustavL said:

Ok I see whats going on now. The app is meant for android devices. I think there might be away around it though. ocatcr will need to guide you. Or, find the main thread and search it. There is plenty of info on this subject there.

Cool thanks :)

Is there an iw command I can use to check?? I'll try iwlist txpower
I woulda though iw was part of wireless-tools which isnt installed??

wasnt implying your app was a fake or anything :) hope it didnt seem like that. Just thought it wasnt working for me based on uci..hopefully theres an iw cmd I can use..

*edit* **** i dont have iwlist.. any way to check setting?? Iw phy0 info doesnt mention dbm from what i saw.

ocatcr said:
justin00 said:

The source code for our free version vision+ utility is at https://github.com/taco-rc/VisionPUtility

flyNfrank said:
GustavL said:

Ok I see whats going on now. The app is meant for android devices. I think there might be away around it though. ocatcr will need to guide you. Or, find the main thread and search it. There is plenty of info on this subject there.

I went in search of the main thread and discovered our great moderator has merged all the V+PU topics into one, the one we're in now. At this point the way you know which post belong to which thread, you go by the topic title at the top of the post you're viewing.

justin00 said:
Cool thanks :)

Is there an iw command I can use to check??
I woulda though iw was part of wireless-tools which isnt installed??

one last thing.. just about others setting power to 30dbm?? That useless?? I read why you recommend 15-17 over 20.

wasnt implying your app was a fake or anything :) hope it didnt seem like that. Just thought it wasnt working for me based on uci..hopefully theres an iw cmd I can use..

ocatcr said:
justin00 said:

Let me warn you now you will only get one answer. So if you have something you really want answered, just continue to post it over & over until the magic moment takes place. There is a language barrier and he uses a translator to communicate. But keep asking your questions.

I wish I could get iwconfig to work... can't get opkg update to work.. gives a 404 error :( grr!!!
Can't figure out how to see the speed.

iw doesn't seem to give it :(

*edit* followed this to get iwconfig installed :)
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15771&start=60#p249963

testing the app now.. lol... standby!

Lol the app works..

sorry for doubting/asking the questions :p

all good...

and hey.. I learnt how to permanently set the speed so I can just stick to using this app for the data logging, which is a great feature :)

thanks heaps and sorry to bother you... silly me.. :]

BTW looks like "uci" set does not work on PV2+ as it might have on earlier versions.. uci is mentioned in how-to threads in the other forums for the other devices, but yeah
iw phy phy0 set txpower fixed 1700 for e.g (to set to 17dbm) works like a charm :)

Sorry for O/T.. very interesting.. the phantom runs an AP that the extender connects to it looks like.. and the extender runs an AP that the users connect to

I know this is may not be what you are looking for, but I have a few time factors in my recent "63mph horizontal and 32mph descent " video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603lntVYmgE[/youtube]

GustavL said:

Maybe you are looking for this information:
if you are not able (or forget) to close the app to the "right" moment, you can export raw data to csv and kml files by clicking your option key and than "Export all". Then search "VisionPlusUtility" folder.
Here in my Samsung Note 3:
Export%2Ball.jpg

Thanks for that information.

Went out flying again, followed the steps but swithched off the Utility App after about 3 minutes.

This time it worked fine. Converting the raw file to .csv and .kml.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT