Video Of DJI Phantom out of control

Northwest_Scene said:
Tripnman said:
I know it's the standard response around here but have you done a full calibration on the TX and the IMU? If you've opened up the TX and don't see a possible mechanical failure point on the stick, then you may be looking at a firmware failure inside the airframe - almost if it's misinterpreting the command signals.

One more thing gleaned from lurking on these boards... Have you had other crashes? Some have reported wildly unpredictable flights after a crash and several of them lead to the discovery of cracked GPS pucks inside the shell.

Totally in the dark here. I've been lucky and have not had a single malfunction in over 60 hours of flight time in PV2 and a whopping two hours in PV2+.

I plug the bird in atleast once a week for imu and tx calibration when Im doing video editing. And this is my first crash, and I dont think the p1 have those gps pucks just a board taped under the top center ?

P1 has GPS under tape - it's a glass square (same as in the pucks).. back to your incident. Was your phone wifi on and or did you have the GoPro remote controler anywhere in the vicinity? I'm not asking to be abnoxious, flew mine over a parked car and it did almost the exact thing as yours did - hard left and full throttle - turns out GoPro remote control was sitting on seat of friends car and it was ON. We duplicated the eratic flying 3 times with the GoPro remote. A phone receiving "push notifications" can produce same results.

EMCSQUAR said:
Northwest_Scene said:
Tripnman said:
I know it's the standard response around here but have you done a full calibration on the TX and the IMU? If you've opened up the TX and don't see a possible mechanical failure point on the stick, then you may be looking at a firmware failure inside the airframe - almost if it's misinterpreting the command signals.

One more thing gleaned from lurking on these boards... Have you had other crashes? Some have reported wildly unpredictable flights after a crash and several of them lead to the discovery of cracked GPS pucks inside the shell.

Totally in the dark here. I've been lucky and have not had a single malfunction in over 60 hours of flight time in PV2 and a whopping two hours in PV2+.

I plug the bird in atleast once a week for imu and tx calibration when Im doing video editing. And this is my first crash, and I dont think the p1 have those gps pucks just a board taped under the top center ?

P1 has GPS under tape - it's a glass square (same as in the pucks).. back to your incident. Was your phone wifi on and or did you have the GoPro remote controler anywhere in the vicinity? I'm not asking to be abnoxious, flew mine over a parked car and it did almost the exact thing as yours did - hard left and full throttle - turns out GoPro remote control was sitting on seat of friends car and it was ON. We duplicated the eratic flying 3 times with the GoPro remote. A phone receiving "push notifications" can produce same results.

No gopro remote and cellphone in my car at all time. No cell towers or powerlines near by either, I was located in a public lake or park away from commercial buildings etc. Ive flown near hotels and have not encountered such problem before this, but the dji rep did mention interference with a stronger signal? If thats the case like all the other fly aways, would it have something to do with the stock TX? Maybe a good idea to upgrade to a FUTABA like the ones DSLR PRO KIT uses?

Justgregg said:
Sell it as fast as you can! If it still flies!!!! I have had nothing but problems with DJI service and this pos p2!!!!

If i can somewhat get close to what i invested for the drone itself I would; and would consider other companies or brands; but man its kinda tough to sell this now especially if there are numerous of cases just like mine and afraid that people might not wanna buy it :roll:

ordered parts came in today for upgrades with no phantom to fly :cry: having my first withdrawals lol. I just hope that DJI tech will resolve the issues. It will probably be a very long wait till i receive the item back, and till then all i get to do is review and edit all my previous flight footage.

Hopefully they will tether fly it extensively before sending it back.

Here are a few ifs.......

If vibration from the blades approached the resonant frequency of one of the NAZA sensors, it is possible that the resulting sympathetic resonance to make the NAZA think an angle is horizontal.

If GPS took an interference hit, the reacquisition of satellites gives more accurate info with each sat found and locked. This is usually very quick on a hot start, but may not be quick enough for the NAZA to disregard the inaccurate data and fly post haste to where it thnks it just was.

Both ifs, no concrete data to prove either without accurate log files

But, impact can cause a sensor to "stick" and not allow IMU calibration. The trip back to repair (or even just sitting undisturbed for a few days) may allow the sensor to free itself, with possible loss of sensor accuracy. So, if it arrives freed up, the tech runs calibration, calls it pilot error and (hopefully ) test flies it very aggressively - which may result in the sensor sticking again and giving him a dose of pilot error. Maybe, Maybe not. Some do the Whack Job on the Counter diagnostic routine to free a stuck sensor and continue flying with out incident.

I had one do the same tilt and boogie maneuver on takeoff. As soon as it cleared my elevated, level, plastic launch pad, it tilted and full powered into a nearby fence. I left it alone a few days until it freed itself, recalibrated IMU (Advanced Calibration), took it outside, did compass dance, waited for direction lock, full sat lockup and home lock, counted to ten and put it in the sky. After flying aggressively for a few minutes, I brought it down to about 30 feet out and 25 feet up, and it just decided to flip over and auger in to the grass.

My guess is that my sensor did free itself, but there was damage done in the original incident.

Still too many ifs and too much conjecture on my part for me to draw absolute conclusions on my experience, but there are a number of similarities in many reported cases to give enough info to start asking the right questions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart