Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

OI Photography said:
gen3benz said:
D3wey makes the B3ST! :lol:

If the upcoming P2 "jailbreak" mentioned at that first link happens, Dewey will soon have a much bigger market for his doors than just the nuts in this thread. (I'm lookin at you, mr OI Photography)
Eeeeeeexcellent...

Seems other are making P2 battery doors.

Yeah I'd noticed a few more popping up here and there. To be expected really and a bit of competition is never a bad thing. I also stand by the fact that people should try and get into this. Where people come up with their pricing I have no idea... I know I could probably make twice as much for my stuff if I wanted but I see it through the eyes of a buyer and personally I'd never spend that kind of money on a battery door unless it was CF.

Any on with my cheap tat... bring out the devil in you! :twisted: :lol: (a customer request). I can always make the boobs bigger for a fee but she'll weigh you down more (sounds just like real life!) :lol:

SheDevil1.jpg

SheDevil2.jpg

Did anybody find another source for that 5400mAh ThunderPower batt? I don't find any on ebay right now, and this is the only retailer I found with them in stock still: http://www.wowhobbies.com/tp5400-3spp25 ... clipo.aspx

I need to hurry up and get one so I can make the battery bay adjustments before assembling the rest. The 4500mAh nano-tech battery is a no-go, there's just no way to deal with the extra length without additional modifications, and even then it would be a sub-optimal solution. I knew that would probably be the case but wanted to at least give it a shot. The good news is it'll work fine (and probably very well) on a 450 or 550, so I'm sure I can unload it easily (I'm running 4S on mine).

Dewey, I did get the LED module wired up in the skull door but haven't been able yet to get pics that give an accurate representation of the net visual effect...which is actually very cool, even with (and perhaps partially due to) the way the light bleeds through the material. I also couldn't get a battery low enough while I was doing it to trigger a fast-red flash, but even the yellow looks neat. But, the 'free your phantom' door will probably still benefit from the way you engineered it to prevent that.

OI Photography said:
Did anybody find another source for that 5400mAh ThunderPower batt? I don't find any on ebay right now, and this is the only retailer I found with them in stock still: http://www.wowhobbies.com/tp5400-3spp25 ... clipo.aspx
I saw a listing a couple days ago for a G8 thunderpower 5400 (same seller I bought from) but he was asking $138.99 :shock: with a best offer. I talked him down to $100 from the retail $117.99
Battery fits great and weight is good too at 360g with heatshrink and xt60.

Was going to fly it this morning....went to charge the battery and.....cant find my thunderpower balance adapter!!
Ugh :cry: I will keep looking...or make one....
Battery door is due to arrive tomorrow, along with other shapeways parts. Now on to balancing these 9x5 cf props.

gen3benz said:
OI Photography said:
I saw a listing a couple days ago for a G8 thunderpower 5400 (same seller I bought from) but he was asking $138.99 :shock: with a best offer. I talked him down to $100 from the retail $117.99

Right, I think the seller you got it from was draganfly, yes? I've been watching for them to put up another one on ebay but I missed that one you saw. I did see them sell a few of the 4S versions of that batt though. I've been keeping an eye on their website (and a few others), and they seem to be very hard to come by. I think I'll go ahead and order at least one even if I have to pay the regular retail price.

Thanks for that pic btw, I had been wondering what it looked like from the front when inserted. I tried to look at your previous pics and start cutting the rails and ribs in the bay to accommodate it, but I think I'll wait till I can see better exactly where it does or will make contact on that side. Also, what diameter heat shrink did you end up using on it?

gen3benz said:
OI Photography said:
Battery fits great and weight is good too at 360g with heatshrink and xt60.

+1. Looking forward to your test flight and report! That is a great weight for a 5400mah. Mine (as light as I can homebrew) is 397g for comparison.

OI Photography said:
Thanks for that pic btw, I had been wondering what it looked like from the front when inserted. I tried to look at your previous pics and start cutting the rails and ribs in the bay to accommodate it, but I think I'll wait till I can see better exactly where it does or will make contact on that side. Also, what diameter heat shrink did you end up using on it?
Yeah, wait on the trimming. It actually slides into the rails but they start bending out a bit. You may want to try to keep the P2 battery tabs in the back for future P2 battery use as Dewey suggested. I figure when P2 batteries come down in price I will snap it in place and put a velcro strap over the door and it wont go anywhere. As it sits right now I can fit some "El Guano" 3s2p maddog 5400s in there.

I dont know what size the guy put on there, im assuming 4". It comes with clear heatshrink already, but mine was cracked in a couple places so I took it off.

EG,
Speaking of your maddog 5400 batteries. I contacted them and brought up your battery. This is what they said...

" Thanks for the reply Mark.
I was just looking to save weight by not running another power lead and parallel connector.
Probably end up buy 2 2700s and mod them like El Guano, a guy on the forums.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082830
Thanks"

Haven't seen that one yet. Very interesting. I will be working on a stock battery for that setup. I know they can do the 3s2p setup.

Mark Grohe
http://www.2dogrc.com
[email protected]
800.517.3810 ext 1
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/2dogrc
Our YouTube Channel
http://www.2dogrc.com/2dogrc

gen3benz said:
OI Photography said:
I dont know what size the guy put on there, im assuming 4". It comes with clear heatshrink already, but mine was cracked in a couple places so I took it off.

My maddogs are bound with 3.35" (85mm) heatshrink. It's too small, they barely squeeze into the unheated heatshrink (I don't really need to shrink them at all) so I imagine it would be fine for that smaller 5400.

Yeah, wait on the trimming. It actually slides into the rails but they start bending out a bit. You may want to try to keep the P2 battery tabs in the back for future P2 battery use as Dewey suggested. I figure when P2 batteries come down in price I will snap it in place and put a velcro strap over the door and it wont go anywhere. As it sits right now I can fit some "El Guano" 3s2p maddog 5400s in there.

Interesting you say that. When i test fitted that 5800 4s it fitted but bent the rails out a bit. I think they will be fine bending a little. Personally I'd be happy to bow the plasic a bit and use that battery.

Out of interest has anyone approached any of the manufacturers directly? If/when someone unlocks the P2 handshake there will be a massive market for the first people that produce them. I might do a bit of email next week. Not a quick solution of course.

Hi guys this is my 1st forum I have ever subscribed to but here we go my question to you guys or whom ever reads this is: I have found a battery who's dimensions are 6''.1.7''.1.8'' and the power rating is an 8400mah 3s 25c. Total weight of the battery is 615g so far its the largest single battery I can find but the search still goes on. Is it possible to put this battery into this conversion because from my estimates it would be possible to get a 30min run time out of it fully loaded.

etab83 said:
Hi guys this is my 1st forum I have ever subscribed to but here we go my question to you guys or whom ever reads this is: I have found a battery who's dimensions are 6''.1.7''.1.8'' and the power rating is an 8400mah 3s 25c. Total weight of the battery is 615g so far its the largest single battery I can find but the search still goes on. Is it possible to put this battery into this conversion because from my estimates it would be possible to get a 30min run time out of it fully loaded.
1.7 ~ 43mm is too tall to fit through the door. Its roughly 38mm but you could trim it, but then the sweet d3 battery door wouldnt snap on it.

EL Guano got 30 mins from a bare phantom with a 5400mah
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2083688

DeweyAXD said:
Interesting you say that. When i test fitted that 5800 4s it fitted but bent the rails out a bit. I think they will be fine bending a little. Personally I'd be happy to bow the plasic a bit and use that battery.
To be honest, I did get a little chop happy. But hey...i'm the lab rat with this battery. Now we can learn from my mistake. :D

etab83 said:

I got 31 minutes flight with 8800mah, 645g battery weight 1262g AUW. That's with zero peripherals on an already-lightened phantom. I don't think you can get 30 minutes with your 8400g battery "fully loaded" meaning gimbal, gopro, OSD, and FPV. Maybe 20 mins if you're lucky (which I get on a 5400 with that config--the power to weight lines cross around that point and it becomes more and more inefficient to add more battery weight).

etab83 said:

Hi Etab - welcome aboard. Etab has a lot of questions that he's been asking on all my videos (which became tricky to manage) so i invited him to gain help from your brains (as well as mine) guys.

First up Etab its best to stick to cm when dealing with batteries. Most websites (even US ones) use metric for these (though I'm sure you imperial guys can work it out better than i can in their heads!).

I make that 15.24cm x 4.3cm x 4.5cm.... which can't be correct. Can you post a link to it?

I've not found a battery over 5400 that will fit without major 'sticking out' or cutting. Genbenz has found the best solution so far as you will have seen above.

Dewey - were you testing again?

**** it I was REALLY hoping I'd got away with that one.... I've secretly cracked a sustainable power source (first one since the Sun) and thought i'd try it out.... went a bit silly on the throttle i guess :lol: (great vid that!!)

OI Photography said:
Right, I think the seller you got it from was draganfly, yes?
That's the guy. Tried talking him down to $33 each for his 2700s(mad dog range) and make some packs of my own. TP G8 2700s weigh 180g each. Lowest he would go was $45.

To be honest, I did get a little chop happy. But hey...i'm the lab rat with this battery. Now we can learn from my mistake. :D

Nothing wrong with being a lab rat. I get plenty of excercise on my wheel!

Just measured that 5800 4s that 'just' fit in the P2 shell and its actually ever so slightly wider at 50.81mm so yeah the good news is that looks like the perfect fit! I will be very interested to see what sort of times you get out of it.
Just have to track down a UK source now.... joy!

First flight with the 5400mah G8 thunderpower.
(my fiance found my tp balance adapter cable!)

8" P1 props/nuts
FPV, gopro,iosd,v2 led, NO gimbal, shhhweet D3wey P2 battery door/LED mount/frame'ish
AUW 1123 grams

18mins 39secs
Landed after seeing the first red flashes....but went a bit too long. Especially for the first flight...
Voltage after 5 mins 11.07 :| 3.68 3.68 3.71
Not too happy about going over but with the 8" props i'm happy with the flight time.
This is pretty much chill flying as well, no big amp draws.
Should I adjust the first level protection, loaded to 11.0v?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart