Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Blue Tooth module

Thank you...I will do that.

340cams said:

Make sure you have a compatible devide if you go this route. Needs to be Bluetooth 4.0 compatible so llder iphones/droid phones might not work. Also bare in mind you get this unit bundled as part of the ground station so if you are ever going to invest in that you might want to get the whole lot in one ;)

DeweyAXD said:
340cams said:

Make sure you have a compatible devide if you go this route. Needs to be Bluetooth 4.0 compatible so llder iphones/droid phones might not work. Also bare in mind you get this unit bundled as part of the ground station so if you are ever going to invest in that you might want to get the whole lot in one ;)

+1, and note that the Assistant app only works on apple, no android love for that currently :(

Thank you for that...I have a MAC at home..plus a windows laptop...plus an ipad.

More importantly on my agenda is installing the Frsky current sensor -40A.
Initially, I ordered this because the newest Volt sensor is on back order...it arrived and I was happy to receive it. I then realized I needed XT-60 connectors...wish it would have come with them or at least advertised that I would need them when I made the initial purchase.
Next question I have is installing it. Do I need to cut or unsolder the battery wires going into the motherboard to install this in between the batt? please forgive my novice experience...does anyone have a pic of how they installed their current sensor into their Phantom2?

340cams said:
More importantly on my agenda is installing the Frsky current sensor -40A.
Initially, I ordered this because the newest Volt sensor is on back order...it arrived and I was happy to receive it. I then realized I needed XT-60 connectors...wish it would have come with them or at least advertised that I would need them when I made the initial purchase.
Next question I have is installing it. Do I need to cut or unsolder the battery wires going into the motherboard to install this in between the batt? please forgive my novice experience...does anyone have a pic of how they installed their current sensor into their Phantom2?

What source are you using for FrSky gear? If you're not already using them, I highly recommend alofthobbies.com. The prices are almost always better than the other main US dealers (skywardhobbies, 2dogsrc, rangevideo.com), and aloft was one of the first (if not the first) outlets here in the states quite a while ago. Wayne is the owner and really knows his stuff about any and everything FrSky makes. Also, R Scott Page from aloft has the most comprehensive set of how-to vids for the Taranis: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-A2sf ... s81HuU7p4w

I assume you're talking about the smart port 40A sensor? http://www.alofthobbies.com/sp-40a.html

That's the one that you'll need to work with the X8R/Taranis, unless you have a variometer in the chain between them. However, since you mentioned missing XT60 connectors on it, I figured you might be holding the previous "hub" version: http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-40-amp-sensor.html I've never seen that 40A sensor with XT60 connectors, but I do know the 100A version of that one is available with or without XT60's.

Even if you do have the smart port 40A sensor, you'll need to wire it in-line between the battery and the board, which will get kind of tricky inside the P2 shell. I was looking at putting that same sensor in my 1.5, and I still may at some point, but I'm using XT60 on the batt lead anyway (not using the P2 batt or power connector), and I don't think I'd want to try if I had to connect it to the P2 power wiring.

Unfortunately, FrSky doesn't have anything designed with the Phantom 2 in mind, and even using their stuff on a P1 can be a pain due to the bulk and weight of the connections they add.

340cams said:
I'm not too keen on messing with the power wires....
Is this sensor an easier one to install once it is no longer on back order???
FRSKY LIPO VOLTAGE SENSOR
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-flvs.html
or does it need a similar installation?

That one is indeed easier to install, however it requires the main battery to have a balance tap, which the P2 batt does not. I have one of those sensors and it'll probably go in my 1.5 Phantom once I finish setting up my Taranis for it.

To be honest, I'm not sure if there's anywhere else in the P2 you could get a true unregulated voltage reading from the batt other than that length of lead between the power connector and the board. You might be able to get it off the power lead coming off the board and out the shell that's intended to power an FPV Tx, but I don't know if that's true batt voltage or not.

PJA, I managed to grab a couple of pics today for you.

This one shows the pinout arrangement for the 6-pin cable you're missing and the port it plugs in to:
B8BWIzIl.jpg

From L-R, the leads/pins are as follows:

Yellow: vid signal output
Brown #1: GND (for vid signal output)
Red: power output
Brown #2 GND (for power output)

For the shells, here's the P1 shell w/legs and no guts:
73szoZVl.jpg

VbawV4hl.jpg

AW3i6MBl.jpg

Believe it or not, I forgot to weigh the P2 shell bottom before I installed everything in it. Y'all are my drone bros and all, and you know I'd take a flyaway for any of ya, but I can't be arsed (as sirshap3ways would say) to remove everything again to check the difference between the P1 and P2 shell bottoms...I'm sure you'll understand :D

If I remember correctly the P2 shell weighed just under 250gs (You don't have to take a fly-away for us - not this time lol)

EMCSQUAR said:
If I remember correctly the P2 shell weighed just under 250gs (You don't have to take a fly-away for us - not this time lol)

As long as you know I would...you know, IF that were even possible ;)

Was that weight with legs (and their screws)?

OI Photography said:
EMCSQUAR said:

As long as you know I would...you know, IF that were even possible ;)

Was that weight with legs (and their screws)?
That was just the shell, no legs.

As stated in thread - would you risk it? Knock off batt 137.00 US vs 159.00 original P2 batt.... that and I find it hard to trust vendor who marks pkge as "gift" to beat customs declarations of hazardous materials. I'll pass on that one.

OI Photography said:
PJA, I managed to grab a couple of pics today for you.

This one shows the pinout arrangement for the 6-pin cable you're missing and the port it plugs in to:
B8BWIzIl.jpg

From L-R, the leads/pins are as follows:

Yellow: vid signal output
Brown #1: GND (for vid signal output)
Red: power output
Brown #2 GND (for power output)

OI... Thanks for a nice clear picture of the 6 pin Cable and the pin-out arrangement...

Hopefully I will get that cable in the mail this week as stated in a previous post...
If not, I can set it up with those two smaller cables that came with the Upgrade Board and the Gimbal...

PS: What were those two smaller cables for... I see there's a port on the Upgrade Board where it fits, but what is it for?

Odd my 6pin only had one ground on it. They must have revised it (not that I needed the extra ground).

@ OI - don't feel bad... I started this crazy scheme and forgot to measure the weight of mine and I sure as sh1t won't be taking it apart to find out any time soon :lol:

@ PJA - I saw that last night and alarm bells ring loudly in my head. Pribably from the same people that will sell you a dell laptop battery on ebay that fits perfectly..... But they forgot to tell you that the laptop won't charge it cause its non-genuine! Some P2 owner will risk it sook enough i'm sure. Who knows maybe its the manufacturer DJI use getting some sales on the side! :lol:

Hello OI...

You and 340cams were talking about this Lipo Voltage Sensor...

I can use this for any other Lipo other than the P2, right? Does it work like any other voltage sensor? Mine hooks up to my balance cable from the lipo battery and even has an alarm you can set... I don't know if this one has an alarm, but I like the digital display and how it shows all the cells at once... LMK if it's worth the investment... Thanks!

sp-flvsdisplay.jpg

PJA said:
Hello OI...

You and 340cams were talking about this Lipo Voltage Sensor...

I can use this for any other Lipo other than the P2, right? Does it work like any other voltage sensor? Mine hooks up to my balance cable from the lipo battery and even has an alarm you can set... I don't know if this one has an alarm, but I like the digital display and how it shows all the cells at once... LMK if it's worth the investment... Thanks!

Correct, that lipo sensor like most requires a balance tap on the battery, so the P2 batts are out of the question. In fact, I don't know of any solution currently (other than the NAZA software) to see individual cell voltages on the P2. Reading total voltage would be easy if you wire something in-line between the batt and the board (like soldered to the IPC for example).

That particular FrSky sensor is neat due to the little display on it, but does have some drawbacks:

- Does not have a built-in alarm. If you connect it to a FrSky telemetry system though, you can use the voltage readings to set alarm(s) on your controller.

- While it's generally pretty accurate, sometimes one cell's reading will be off by up to .05v (based on comparison with my bench tester). It's like it needs calibration, but there's no way to do that.

- It's hard to find in stock. The previous version of that sensor (which varies only in the telemetry system port on the side) is still easy to find though, and as a quick batt checker it's hard to beat in size and cost: http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-lipo- ... splay.html

To be honest, right now I don't even have one of those mounted (yet) on my 1.5, I'm just checking the voltages when I land (and relying on the Phantom's LED for the rest). This is the lipo checker I rely on the most and use for all testing on the ground: http://www.buddyrc.com/3-in-1-battery-c ... arger.html (I think you can find it cheaper on ebay)

Related question for ElGuano: do we know for a fact that the NAZA-reported voltage is a truly unadulterated "at the battery" reading?

OI Photography said:
Related question for ElGuano: do we know for a fact that the NAZA-reported voltage is a truly unadulterated "at the battery" reading?

You actually can add a balance lead to the p2 battery, but it involves some solder-surgery, probably not the best option for most people.

The Naza gets a true reading of unregulated voltage off the voltage regulator, so it sees what the ESCs see off the pdb. This is useful, but technically you could get a more accurate "at the battery" reading off a separate bridge if you really wanted. Maybe some people really intent on pushing a pack to its absolute limits would go that route....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart