Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Mike

Not sure of its validity but I saw this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114087

Suggests that there is a second 'pot' (potentiometer screw) on the P2 transmitter controller that handles gains adjustment... might be worth (carefully) testing. In theory then it is a case of working out what channel it uses... suggestion might be that X2 always live to gains tuning and all you need to do is tap into it.

Down to the Home Stretch...

Rearranged a few things under the shell... I think this is the final version before I seal it up.

It got pretty crowded with the Flytrex cable in the way... But my shell does close, so I'm pretty happy about that...

Another question guys (sorry)
:
When I set up my FatShark V2 FPV, do I do it via the iOSD mini? Do I really need to power the transmitter with the Balance Lead Filter if I'm going with the GOPro as my camera. If I do need to connect it, where would that go in reference to the iOSD mini... Also, if I do need to connect it I'd like to do so under the shell... is that advisable?

Latest Interior shot... Not so neat anymore:
13497556344_0621692a43_o.jpg

Firstly let me just go back to OI's post and say how good it is looking! Loving the final look of the 'Free you Phantom' door in the flesh so to speak (though in the photo you didn't catch it mid flashing! ;) )

PJA likewise yours is looking really neat now.

You have options on powering the vTX.

To break it down into actual wires you should have a Red, Yellow & Brown coming from the plug of the upgrade board (that plugs in behind the 8 pin Zenmuse cable on the board (it is the one missing in your current pic!). This is:

Red: 5v VCC
Yellow: Video Output from Zenmuse
Brown: Ground

If you use the power filter then you need to get a 12v supply to it first.... I have the filter and personally I soldered a 12v Aux power (like the old days) and poked it out of the handy hole in the P2 shell (below):

IMG_4004.jpg

Next I stuck a 4 pin servo plug on it (only using the 2 outer pins). That goes to the filter balance port (see below):

IMG_4281.jpg

Of course you then use the supplied cable between the filter and the vTX for power.

If you choose to power the vTX with the power filter then as far as iOSD goes you will only use the Yellow and Brown coming from the upgrade board. These will need to be wired into the INPUT of the iOSD (and the output will go to the vTX).... The red wire being obsolete, can be taped off (or heat shrink the end) cause you won't need it and won't want it shorting stuff out!

If you choose not to use the power filter then you can power you vTX from the Red wire. That makes it sound a little neater but think it out in your head first... you will end up running all 3 wires out of the shell, the red will need to get to the vTX (which it won't cause it is always too short!) and the yellow and brown wires still need to go into the iOSD input. That is why I ended up using the filter.

Personally I found that at short range there was little difference using the power filter but at 500m+ range the signal from the vTX to the goggles was better with the power filter in the loop (less lines). This wasn't exactly a scientific test, more an observation and it may have had nothing to do with the filter!

d3wey,

What is the weight of the FPV mount and battery cage? Will it fit the mad dog 2700's?

DeweyAXD said:
You have options on powering the vTX.

To break it down into actual wires you should have a Red, Yellow & Brown coming from the plug of the upgrade board (that plugs in behind the 8 pin Zenmuse cable on the board (it is the one missing in your current pic!). This is:

Red: 5v VCC
Yellow: Video Output from Zenmuse
Brown: Ground

If you use the power filter then you need to get a 12v supply to it first.... I have the filter and personally I soldered a 12v Aux power (like the old days) and poked it out of the handy hole in the P2 shell (below):

IMG_4004.jpg

Next I stuck a 4 pin servo plug on it (only using the 2 outer pins). That goes to the filter balance port (see below):

IMG_4281.jpg

Of course you then use the supplied cable between the filter and the vTX for power.

If you choose to power the vTX with the power filter then as far as iOSD goes you will only use the Yellow and Brown coming from the upgrade board. These will need to be wired into the INPUT of the iOSD (and the output will go to the vTX).... The red wire being obsolete, can be taped off (or heat shrink the end) cause you won't need it and won't want it shorting stuff out!

If you choose not to use the power filter then you can power you vTX from the Red wire. That makes it sound a little neater but think it out in your head first... you will end up running all 3 wires out of the shell, the red will need to get to the vTX (which it won't cause it is always too short!) and the yellow and brown wires still need to go into the iOSD input. That is why I ended up using the filter.

Personally I found that at short range there was little difference using the power filter but at 500m+ range the signal from the vTX to the goggles was better with the power filter in the loop (less lines). This wasn't exactly a scientific test, more an observation and it may have had nothing to do with the filter!

Here is my problem, Mr. D...

As you can see from the two pics below, one shows two ports on my Upgrade Board that are left 'unanswered' by the (terribly drawn) red arrows. I think you were talking about the bigger one, on the left, behind the Zenmuse Cable Port to use a cable for that. Well, the cable you are talking about didn't come with the Upgrade Board, or the Zenmuse Gimbal, or with anything else I added to this conversion... The only two cables I have left are the two shown below in picture # 2...

13501364785_9dd3f61b42_z.jpg

The larger cable is the iOSD mini cable... It was included with the unit... and I think the smaller cable came with the Upgrade Board... Not sure...

So, I am kinda stuck if I wanted to add the Balance Board to the vTX... I can just connect it all through the iOSD mini cable and be done with it, but would rather filter out any vTX interference with the Balance Filter Board, if that's what it's supposed to do...

The only place I found a "replacement" cable for the Upgrade Board was in this kit here http://www.ebay.com/itm/281296436329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649... Don't know if I want to spend on a kit just for a cable I can maybe find somewhere else or even try and make myself (if I can figure it out)...

Ahhh i see yes the 6 pin cable (that only uses 3 pins) should have been in the box with the upgrade board. Can you go back to the supplier of the upgrade board and complain? I'd of thought they could at least open a box up and send you one. If not i would imagine a DJI dealer can source one on its own and they be willing to send u one from an upgrade board kit if u ask nicely.
The problem is that without that cable you have no output signal from the GoPro so you can't even use iOSD at all (unless you use the Fatshark camera for the moment i guess).
I've made my eyes bleed searching for the supplier/manufacturer of those small cables when i was looking to make a 8 pin extension but no joy.

Howzit said:
d3wey,

What is the weight of the FPV mount and battery cage? Will it fit the mad dog 2700's?

Sorry Justin I thought I'd got my PM reply to you about weights away before my Laptop batt died but it seems it didn't send:

Undertray = 23g + spacers @ 3g each (lighter if you are willing to risk nylon ones)
Battery Cage = 7g + velcro

My larger cage fits these dimensions (based on a Turnight NanoTech 2250 that I designed it around... back when that was good lol): 104 x 35 x 27 mm

Mad Dogs are advertised @ 103 x 35 x 28 mm so you should have no problem squeezing it in there (the 3D print nylon flexes pretty good). Just be sure to get the larger cage! :D

EDIT: @ Elguano - I've been quoting 330mm for like 2 years now :oops: ! I could of sworn it was based on a 330 frame when it first came out (which it obviously wasn't cause it hasn't shrunk in the wash!! Amazingly you are the first person to pick up on it though! :lol: )

DeweyAXD said:
Ahhh i see yes the 6 pin cable (that only uses 3 pins) should have been in the box with the upgrade board. Can you go back to the supplier of the upgrade board and complain? I'd of thought they could at least open a box up and send you one. If not i would imagine a DJI dealer can source one on its own and they be willing to send u one from an upgrade board kit if u ask nicely.
The problem is that without that cable you have no output signal from the GoPro so you can't even use iOSD at all (unless you use the Fatshark camera for the moment i guess).
I've made my eyes bleed searching for the supplier/manufacturer of those small cables when i was looking to make a 8 pin extension but no joy.

Here are the only cables that came in the box, Mr. D... I haven't even used them...

13511921633_74719f1b3c.jpg

And as you can see from the UN-BOXING YouTube Video, That 6 Pin Cable doesn't come in this version of the kit (which is similar to mine)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECIhmmmSkeg

I can see it in that vid bud @ 1:38 (count the white plugs when he is holding it and you can see 2 x 8 pin, 2 x 2 pin and 1 x elusive 6 pin (it only has a plug at one end) ....

6-pin.jpg

Sad to say you've definatley been left short for sure so you should be able to go back to the place you bought it and ask for a replacement.

PJA, I just checked the cable pack that came with my upgrade board, and I do indeed have the 6-pin output cable in mine as well. It's the one with the yellow/brown/red/brown leads in this pic:
SAQrqALl.jpg

It looks to be identical to the vid/power cable hanging out of the stock P2 (non-vision), so I checked the P2 cable packs and none of them seem to have it. The FPV Hub has a 4-pin plug that serves the same function, but I would assume it won't work on the upgrade board's port.

Your best bet is probably to find someone who has the upgrade board but doesn't plan to use the Zenmuse and see if they'd be willing to give up the cable they don't need. I'd give you mine but there's still a chance I may add an H3-3D...however if it turns out it doesn't connect the same way as the H3-2D and the cable isn't needed then you're welcome to it.

WOW! I don't know how I missed that Dewey and OI... This is what happens to you when you get too old... You don't pay attention too well :lol:

I appreciate the help. I looked all over my place here in case I might have dropped it and didn't notice and kicked it under somewhere, or put it away in my spare wire box. Either way, I can't find it...

I emailed the guy I bought it from... maybe he can do something for me...

I see there are only 4 wires attached to that six connector plug. I have two of those little wires that have a two connectors on them. If I put them side by side on the correct pins, I can probably make do with them... They do each fit on two pins in the male connector on the board... I'll just put them side by side on the correct pins and glue them in and ~ VIOLA! Instant Four Lead Connections!!! Would anyone know which pins are for what? And will I ever need those Two Pin Connectors for anything else in this build?

Whata ya guys think of my idea??? :p

What sort of gain adjustments should we be running when utilizing the p2 props and a heavier (4400-5200mah) battery?

@PJA: that idea should work...as long as you match the pinouts correctly and can get the connection to stay in place that's what matters. I'll get you a pic shortly with the cable plugged in to the port so I can label the pin-to-cable layout.

@Howzit: I'm starting with the same gains I was comfortable with on my P1 before the conversion, I'll post whatever final values I end up with. However, I'd suggest only using other's gains as a starting point to begin your own testing.

Now..time for my first 1.5 test flight :twisted:

OI Photography said:
@PJA: that idea should work...as long as you match the pinouts correctly and can get the connection to stay in place that's what matters. I'll get you a pic shortly with the cable plugged in to the port so I can label the pin-to-cable layout.

@Howzit: I'm starting with the same gains I was comfortable with on my P1 before the conversion, I'll post whatever final values I end up with. However, I'd suggest only using other's gains as a starting point to begin your own testing.

Now..time for my first 1.5 test flight :twisted:

Please keep me updated on gains! Parts will be arriving at a furious pace and I'm not really up to snuff with proper gains. Do you have a theory/rule of thumb for increasing gains vs. weight? Perhaps just a percentage? Say, increasing them all by like 10% to start?

I've not touched my gains at all since day one of the Phantom v1 :lol: I am no stranger to tweaking them on other craft but the Phantom in both v1, v1 Dual batt, and P1.5 for has flown fine with stock settings for me. It does come down to personal choice though. I prefer smooth steady flight for video rather than a twitchy sports flyer.

PJA - yep I agree that should be fine.

Pin outs from left to right are blank, blank, brown, red, yellow. Look like this (not my own pic but you can't beat a google image search :D ): http://rosebuddrones.files.wordpress.co ... g_1677.jpg (I didn't embed it on here cause its a really big detailed photo).

DeweyAXD said:
I've not touched my gains at all since day one of the Phantom v1 :lol: I am no stranger to tweaking them on other craft but the Phantom in both v1, v1 Dual batt, and P1.5 for has flown fine with stock settings for me. It does come down to personal choice though. I prefer smooth steady flight for video rather than a twitchy sports flyer.

PJA - yep I agree that should be fine.

Pin outs from left to right are blank, blank, brown, red, yellow. Look like this (not my own pic but you can't beat a google image search :D ): http://rosebuddrones.files.wordpress.co ... g_1677.jpg (I didn't embed it on here cause its a really big detailed photo).

I think there's supposed to be a brown lead between the red and yellow ones in that pic, looks like maybe it's been removed or just bent out of sight there. I'll confirm as soon as I get my shell open again.

Howzit said:
What sort of gain adjustments should we be running when utilizing the p2 props and a heavier (4400-5200mah) battery?

As others stated stock settings are a good starting point. I've bumped mine a tad but I'm as Sir Dewy and am after smooth flight for video. Mine are 130 -130 - 160 -100 atti 125 - 125.

First test flight with the 1.5 just now went great overall. It had trouble holding a tight position but that could very well have to do with the fact I connected the battery while on the bench and then carried it out to the back yard to calibrate compass and launch (which I never do). Other than that though it flew great, and I only did some light goofing around while I ran out the battery...slow figure 8's, ground skimming, etc.

Total flight time = 27:15
I'm about to post initial batt results in ElGuano's thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10924

That is a great flight time, OI... Even though your P1.5 was basically naked, I'm sure fully loaded would have yielded you @15 to 18 minutes... I read your full report on ELGuano's Thread... Thinking about those ThunderPower 5400mAh 3S Batts for myself now...

I emailed the guy I bought the Upgrade Board from. He actually got back to me within the hour... Said he couldn't imagine why I didn't get that cable in the box, but he had one on his desk and said he'd send it out to me... (ummm... OK...)

There is this guy on YouTube (he's quite well know)... His name is Arthur Konze. He has a very informant UAV Channel... His Videos are done in German... ALL OF THEM... Which to tell you the truth, really doesn't matter. He explains everything in Vivid Video Detail!

One of his video programs is about the IOSD mini and how to install it with that elusive cable I need. Even if I don't get the cable, I can actually use the two smaller cables to set up the IOSD...Here is a screen grab of his wiring set-up for the FPV, iOSD:

13529257893_cca203aff1_c.jpg

OI Photography said:
First test flight with the 1.5 just now went great overall. It had trouble holding a tight position but that could very well have to do with the fact I connected the battery while on the bench and then carried it out to the back yard to calibrate compass and launch (which I never do). Other than that though it flew great, and I only did some light goofing around while I ran out the battery...slow figure 8's, ground skimming, etc.

Total flight time = 27:15
I'm about to post initial batt results in ElGuano's thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10924

Awesome, good work!

Remind me again what battery combo you did the on again? (hard to keep up! lol)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydistribution