Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

All this talk of adding a meter... why not just add IOSD mini? Voltage top left and you can set warning level..

ElGuano said:
The Naza gets a true reading of unregulated voltage off the voltage regulator, so it sees what the ESCs see off the pdb. This is useful, but technically you could get a more accurate "at the battery" reading off a separate bridge if you really wanted. Maybe some people really intent on pushing a pack to its absolute limits would go that route....

Gotcha, the reason I asked is because of some confusing readings I get when using my FrSky sensors. Up until takeoff, and starting again at landing (even while motors are still spinning), they are almost perfectly in-line with the NAZA's reading (as viewed on iOSD). However, during flight, there seems to be a constant (but not always consistent) delta between the two readings. My sensor reads the batt at the balance tap, so I always assumed the difference was due to its respective locations in the power chain compared to the NAZA, and what each sees under full load.

OI & Dewey...

I got the 6 pin cable from the place I bought the upgrade board from, however, it came incomplete...

It was missing the wire in between the yellow and red pin. So, I took a wire from the smaller cable I had and it fit perfectly in the pin-hole... As you can see by the pic, I now have a completed 6 pin cable. I just need to trim off the second cable attached to it. Just wanted to show you what I did to fix it... (see pic below).

I will be finishing up my P1.5 this weekend...

Thanks for your help...

13615702014_430793ea1d_c.jpg

Love all these experiments you guys are digging into. 25m+ is very promising.

So, whats the longest FPV flight ever recorded with a Phantom? I'm going to UHF and 1.2/1.3ghz and slaughter it. :D

Howzit said:

So, whats the longest FPV flight ever recorded with a Phantom? I'm going to UHF and 1.2/1.3ghz and slaughter it. :D

Go for it! I'm currently bouncing back & forth between my two - Kongcopter got new 5000mah 4S battery - test flight today proved promising, have gains to "up" so it's not like flying a bus. On the P1.5 she got new lighter version landing gear (I did major mods to Simensays gear) and did more "leaning" of cabling inside - test flight was awesome but major snowstorm (hopefully last of season) moved in and grounded both for a couple of days. My short term goals 15 mins on each with full compliment of gear - to fly smoothly.

Howzit said:

Yeah why not give it a go! I will be looking at getting EzUHF in the 6 months. The plan was for a plane but I can see it ending up on a quad :lol:

Update on my p1.5 tinkerings.... well I just placed an order that will allow me to enter the world of P2 threaded props. While I could have gone with 2 x CCW motors @ £45 I decided to go the T-motor Anti Gravity route. I've always been a little scepticle of the whole 'extra efficiency' claims but I only hear good things and they are still a good price for Ezo bearing motors (plus they look good!). Most importantly going this route frees up 4 x DJI motors for other potential crazy projects that are on the go!

Just finished the latest project of merging an ImmersionRC Xu-Gong 10 with an F450... so now I have an F450 with 11" props that folds into a form smaller than a Phantom! :twisted: Those who want to see just hola.

DeweyAXD said:
Just finished the latest project of merging an ImmersionRC Xu-Gong 10 with an F450... so now I have an F450 with 11" props that folds into a form smaller than a Phantom! :twisted: Those who want to see just hola.

whatwhaaat?!? Pix, yo!

My update on my 1.5 is that I've spent almost all the time I have free for it getting OpenTx to work on my Turnigy 9X, which it looks like I've accomplished as of last night (...once I finally realized that two of the switches weren't reporting properly :evil: ). I've had one more test flight in the past week, managed 26 minutes this time on the TP 5400 batt. However, between some odd flight handling and a never-happens-to-me tipover on takeoff I'm getting the impression one of my T-motors is having problems. I haven't inspected it closely yet, but I'll be doing that before the next flight.

Also, I did get my 2nd Maddog 2700 in the mail last week...initial test fitting indicates a bit more trimming in the battery bay will be necessary before I can squeeze two of them in there.

Btw, I'm about to sell that Turnigy 4500mAh boat batt I never ended up using for this project (due to the length). I need to run it through a charge/discharge cycle to test it before I do though, and I think I'm going to strap it to the bottom of my 1.5 and do one test flight to see what a 286g 4500mAh battery yields in comparison to the 376g 5400mAh.

whatwhaaat?!? Pix, yo!

Well seeing as you asked ;) ....

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

Rather than hog this thread the details of its journey from Xu-Gong to Xu450gong (via the the ground from 200ft) are all here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068465

I for one would be very interested in knowing how that boat battery performs strapped to the bottom of the Phantom. I may well be getting a couple for the next project which will be on the long side! My 4s 5400 weighs 565g on its own so the idea of getting 900mah for 7g more is hugely appealing!

Now I know what it would look like if you combined the DNA of a 450, a XuGong, a Big Mac, and a 3d printer :D

Seriously though, that looks pretty **** cool, especially when it's all folded up. Those are the 9" Tmotor CF props, yes? The ones with a pitch like 3.2 or something.

I'll test that Turnigy as soon as it stops raining here long enough. I was thinking the same thing...it'll probably really shine when you run two on a 450/550 or something similar.

Nope those are tasty 11" x 3.7" T-motors (on 2216 800kv's). Props have a similar profile to the 9's. The Phantom has 9x5 graupners in that pic.

Yeah I know the 11" model of those Tmotor CF's, been looking at the same for my 550 (once I quit chewing through props so fast). They just didn't look that much bigger than the ones on your Phantom.

4S, kv800, and 11" CF...how much weight are you packing on there (or plan to)?

OI Photography said:
Yeah I know the 11" model of those Tmotor CF's, been looking at the same for my 550 (once I quit chewing through props so fast). They just didn't look that much bigger than the ones on your Phantom.

4S, kv800, and 11" CF...how much weight are you packing on there (or plan to)?

Currently the AUW with a Zippy 4000mah is a 'healthy' 1760g. With the 5400 it is fat 1940g (too fat IMO).

Even with all of the work I've done on the Xu450 I can say that, right now, the Phantom 1.5 is still a better flyer at present (especially for camera work). The Xu450gong has a LOT more grunt (its bloody fast!) but in the two flights I've done it is pretty twitchy on yawing. It is rock solid in hover and forward flight though. I think that is down to the battery placement (not inline along the centre axis). If the Phantom has taught me anything it is that the NAZA does not like weight to its sides. Something I constantly bang on about with dual battery setups. Funny how I only realised I'd ignored my own advice when it was flying! :lol:

With all the restrictions being put in place with the new P2 firmware 3.0 I can see more and more people going the 1.5 route (restrictions that, dare I say it, I actually agree with DJI doing on the most part :shock: ).

*Stands up from his seat

Hi Everyone... My name is DeweyAXD and I have an addiction....

IMG_4357.jpg

We really should consider having chips for the number of days you can go without opening an RC parts website! :D

DeweyAXD said:
We really should consider having chips for the number of days you can go without opening an RC parts website! :D
You mean how many hours you can go without spending any money on RC toys...

Welcome to the Anti-Gravity, T-Motor Club!

PJA said:
DeweyAXD said:

You mean the "I'll have the rent soon, I promise!" club.

Welcome Dewey, we saved you a seat...had a feeling you'd find your way in the door here eventually.

Can I assume those are for your Phantom? For some reason I thought you already had the t-motors.

OI Photography said:
PJA said:
DeweyAXD said:

You mean the "I'll have the rent soon, I promise!" club.

Welcome Dewey, we saved you a seat...had a feeling you'd find your way in the door here eventually.

Can I assume those are for your Phantom? For some reason I thought you already had the t-motors.

They are indeed for the Phantom. I have a set of 2216 800's on the Xu450gong but I've been running stocko's on the Phantom since day 1. Killed one of them replacing the bearings (Which went within 2 months of buying it) but they have been trouble free since then. I know have 7 DJI 2212's laying around (3 red, 4 silver).... I wonder what on earth I should do with them?! :lol: ..... Oh well. There goes my 1 day chip! :D

Just fitted them now. All spinning as they should do (video'd it of course!). I'll get some comparison flights soon. Especially interested in the difference between flight times on P2 blades and Graupners.

So with this thread getting pretty long now I'm thinking a quick update of specs each of us are running could really help. I've created a template that will make it easy to pick out of the posts. Just thinking it could help when we are referencing our own 1.5's performance vs mods against others.

I might even list them at the bottom of the threads first ever post to encourage new comers if this works ( hence try not to stray into too much waffle on the template ;) )

************* SPECS *******************
DeweyAXD
Motors: T-Motor Anti-Gravity's
Battery setup 1: P2 5200mah
Battery setup 2: 2x2200 Stock Phantom in paralell
Props: Graupner 9x5s, P2 threaded
Camera: H3 Black
Gimbal: Zenmuse H3-2D
FPV (mounted to Phantom): Fatshark 250mw, power filtered, iOSd
Flight TX/RX: Futaba T8J / r2008sb
CAN BUS Mod?: Yep
LED type: NAZA v2 (rear), Stock Phantom (front)
Other attached equipment (different legs, flight logger, Data link etc): Shapeways FPV undertray, switched dual LED system.

All Up Weight (AUW): 1360g
Best flight time so far (Battery): 17 mins (P2 Battery)

***************** END OF SPECS ************************

Formatted blank template to use is below (click 'select all', copy it, paste it, change it, post it!):
Code:
*************** SPECS ***************************
[color=#0000BF][b] Insert Name [/b][/color]
[b]Motors[/b]: 
[b]Battery setup 1[/b]:
[b]Battery setup 2[/b]:
[b]Battery setup 3[/b]:
[b]Props[/b]:
[b]Camera[/b]:
[b]Gimbal[/b]: 
FPV (mounted to Phantom): 
[b]Flight TX/RX[/b]:
[b]CAN BUS Mod?[/b]: 
[b]LED type[/b]: 
[b]Other attached equipment worth mentioning (different legs, flight logger, Data link etc)[/b]:

[b]All Up Weight (AUW)[/b]: 
[b]Best flight time so far (Battery)[/b]:

Enjoy!

Hello my P1.5 Conversion friends...

Today I took out my Phantom 1.5 out for it's Maiden Voyage...Needless to say, it was wasn't without some issues.
I am currently processing some video. I hope to post it and get some feedback from you...

Meanwhile, I have an edited video of my last flight as a Phantom 1... Sometimes I must poke fun at my misfortune... And this video is just another lesson learned that I might not be cut out to fly a camera on a Quadcopter... Anyway, I thought I'd give you guys a laugh before My Phantom enters it's new stage as a P 1.5...

Best watched in Full Screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bEBHh4rQvbk

Re: your video - when in doubt, calibrate everything! (especally in new location) That video resembled a compass discrepency.

EMCSQUAR said:
Re: your video - when in doubt, calibrate everything! (especally in new location) That video resembled a compass discrepency.

Believe it or not, Mr. EMC, I did the 'compass dance' twice to make sure... got my series of green lites for satellite lock and home lock... After all hope was lost and I lost sight of it, I engaged Failsafe...

I can only surmise that my Phantom picked up stray signals from two RC planes flying near the Parkway... My Phantom flew over that point uncontrollably while they were flying, then about 6 minutes later my Phantom came home while the RC planes stopped. Just my guess... Since then, I upgraded to the Futaba 8J TX & RX...

Believe me, I've been flying this thing for 10 months now and I make sure I do the compass dance and get my Satellite Lock and Home Lock before I take off... This has happened about half dozen times since I've been flying this version of my Phantom, and there is only so many times you can open it up to see what went wrong and re-calibrate everything in NAZA. After a few flights, the same 'My Phantom is Possessed Flyaway' happens... (maybe my Naza V1 controller is screwed up).

I'll tell you one thing though... It must love me, because it keeps coming back... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn