Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Firstly PJA can I say what an epic video that was... the music especially made that a real enteraining (yet nervous) watch! You got a good bounce off that ground.... maybe moreso than my sign post!! :lol:

when in doubt, calibrate everything! (especally in new location)

Personally I think calibrating in your location WAS the issue. Experiance has taught me that it can do more harm that good. To explain:

The compass dance only really needs doing if you travel significant distances in geography (enough to move magnetic north from where it was trained to be in the compasses memory during the last 'dance'). The risk of doing the dance every flight is the possibility of invisible magnetic interference at your specific location. The best policy for calibration IMO is to get yourself out locally into a big wide, wifi free zone with no metal or high voltage cabling around (or under) you. Then do the dance (and a test flight to see if its stabel). After that you are set for flying anywhere in say a 100 mile radious.

What likely happened to you is the compass calibration got magnetic interference with all the lighting poles, underground cables and all other crazy unseen crap in an area like that. This is just a theory of course but my one proper flyaway happened in a location I'd flown from several times without incident (next to a large metal building on a road with high voltage wires). Then I forgot to flip the GPS up (it was a 450) and powered on which messed the compass and required a recalibration to be done on site.... which i did. Net result was a very short flight with it eventually powering down hard into the ground by itself but feeling a lot like yours did in the short time it was up. This was a v2 NAZA and WITH a Futaba T8J.

Since then I have dared to test that same location (without 'dancing' on site) and it has been fine ever since.

The compass, when it calibrates, creates a mod value as a reference point, stores it, and the NAZA then works from it during flight to calculate where it is going. Doing the dance makes it re-work this reference point and if it is in location with magnetic interference that is where it references the wrong magnetic north and it is then basically like rotating your GPS around the wrong way. The fact it flew home sort of confirms that as the home location isn't based on the way it is facing, just the GPS co-ordinates it took off from (and it doesn't need to know where north is to work that out).

Anyway lets hope you have better luck with the P1.5 (looking forward to seeing this vid)

DeweyAXD said:
The best policy for calibration IMO is to get yourself out locally into a big wide, wifi free zone with no metal or high voltage cabling around (or under) you. Then do the dance (and a test flight to see if its stabel). After that you are set for flying anywhere in say a 100 mile radious.

That's my problem, Mr. D... I live in a very congested area, (borderline of NYC and the Burbs)... Not many nice open fields I can fly in unless I drive a few hours out to the countryside. Not in the time-frame of life right now...

Still trying to figure out what's wrong with my P1.5 Below is the link of a test flight I did the other day. The Phantom looks like it's listing slightly to one side and doesn't look or fly stable. (16 mph winds, I found out after my flight). It responds nicely though. But I think I also hear something in the motors that's lagging... I don't know... Maybe you can see or hear something wrong with my P1.5 from the video and let me know... (possibly it's off balance because of no gimbal???). I took it to it's limit and had it auto-land. Weight is about 1151grams - bare-bones... No gimbal or FPV...

https://vimeo.com/91767481

EDIT: PS: I read somewhere on this forum that the extended legs could be the problem. Someone said it made his Phantom wobble (I think he used that term)... Now that I'm thinking about it, my Phantom 1.5 seems to do the wobbly thing... I'm going to use another set of landing skids, (probably the originals), and see what happens...

I need some help from anyone using CW/CCW threaded motors. Stand over your Phantom with the front pointing at your legs....
Now look at the motors nearest your legs. The one by your left leg will be M1 and should rotate CCW. Naturally M2 (your right leg) will be CW.

So the question I need answering from you all is.... to tighten the prop on the M2 leg, what direction do you turn it. CW or CCW?

Why am I asking? Well look at this and tell me if you think:

a) I'm stupid and did something wrong
b) You are confused as me
c) Something is clearly wrong!

Bare in mind that on a motor test all motors spin in the correct direction for the arm.... to the point that I did a 15 min flight with Graupners mounted on bacwards!

Enjoy....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjS3TME-vRM[/youtube]

Oh and of course to try and prove to myself that I'm not going totally crakers I watched DJI's vid (below).... M2 has a CW motor and tightens with a CCW spin of the prop! Mine don't!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzdMBCFMnGg[/youtube]

I'll check my Kong it has CCW & CW motors. In meantime - I read here on forums that the AG motors instructions were backwards, there's multiple threads on it.

To tighten M2 you turn it CCW.

My new T-Motor 2214-11 motors AREN'T labeled at all... Neither the motor or the prop nut... And although I don't have self-tightening props on mine, two prop nuts tighten CW and the other two tighten CCW... So I do presume I can use self-tightening props on mine also...

My props are on 1 & 3 = CCW... 2 & 4 = CW

Seems as though those self-tightening props are put together backwards...

Very strange dilemma, indeed...

Thanks guys. Just found this thread here (Google helped rather than the lovely internal 'choclate teapot' search!). Seems OI didn't get labels on his either.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5518

Nice to know I might not be me going daft then. Basically it will work fine if I put the CW motor on M1 (Which should spin in CCW direction). I'm guessing that a bunch of bell housings got thrown in the wrong pile before labelling! I could swap the bell housings over but I don't really want to open them up. Looks like it'll be a case of doing the whole job again then.... lovely :evil:

@PJA Mine a v2's which came out in August 13 iirc.... but who knows maybe newer ones don't have labels and I just got an old batch. I'll be emailing quadcopters.co.uk to warn them either way so they can check their stock.

Weird that I'd not seen it before but then maybe its cause I'm not hanging in the P2 threads much.

Well I got a reply from quadcopters.co.uk who acknowledged that they are now aware of the issue.

I've since de-soldered and swapped all the motors over again (joy) and all is as expected! This meant I could (finally) do the last video in a trio to test them against each other. Interesting results:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiVos9qubUI[/youtube]

To be fair the test of Stock + Graupner vs T-Motor + Graupner was a little flawed as there was a 5mph wind. The garden is shielded quite well but it was moving around a lot more than the other 2 tests so maybe add 30 seconds for that.

Next I will be re-flashing the NAZA back to 3.14 in the hopes I can clear the 'IMU too hot' issue once and for all. No issue in flight but I can't be sure the advanced recalibration is working and it takes at least 2-3 mins to warm up every flight which, given it is also charging the Hero3 and powering the gimbal through this time, is not helping my flight times at all. My v2 NAZA IMU warm up is literally instant these days.

How long does IMU warm up take you guys to do?

The stock NAZA on my phantom takes 2 mins usually sometimes a liitle more. As you mentioned my V2 on Kongcopter takes 38 secs never more than that.

EMCSQUAR said:
The stock NAZA on my phantom takes 2 mins usually sometimes a liitle more. As you mentioned my V2 on Kongcopter takes 38 secs never more than that.

Interesting MC. Do you get any problems/errors when you do an advanced re-calibration?

DeweyAXD said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Interesting MC. Do you get any problems/errors when you do an advanced re-calibration?

No problems at all. Both when advanced cal done, are in 1300 range for compass mods. Both are flying excellent currently - the P1 has always taken roughly 2 mins to warm up. I might swap NAZAs just for test purposes.

You probably have an older "true" V1. Is there a red LED inside the FC?

ElGuano said:
You probably have an older "true" V1. Is there a red LED inside the FC?

Can't say I've ever noticed one. Mine was a fairly late version 1 Phantom... about 3 months prior to the 1.1.1 release I'd say. I'm expecting there to be some warm up time compared to the v2 but it really gets boring waiting that long.

Got to try and find the links to the old firmware/assistant software. I know someone has them out there. Not relishing the risk factor of doing it to be honest but if it works it will be worth it. :lol:

Just threw myself into the fixed wing world too with the last of the Icon A5's (discontinued) and an FY-41AP Lite to go with it. Will be interesting to see which is more nerve wracking to fly. At least if the motor in the plane fails it 'wants' to fly :roll:

PJA said:
DeweyAXD said:
Got to try and find the links to the old firmware/assistant software. I know someone has them out there. Not relishing the risk factor of doing it to be honest but if it works it will be worth it. :lol:

I think this is what you are looking for, Dewey:

http://www.pctechsoft.com/downloads/phantom_archives/DJI-LINKS.htm

Ahhhh perfect thanks PJA! I think I'll store a copy of all of those for safe keeping locally too just in case! :mrgreen:

Fellow 1.5er's - redid mine (again) prepping for Zen 3D (which is enroute) decided since today was PERFECT flying weather - 70deg absolutely no wind - without camera, gimbal or GS and external TX = 19mins until first warning (10.6) - this is after weeks of tweaking gains - what a balancing act!

Figuring I was on hot streak - took 450 w/mega 5k 4S battery w/GS & Tx mounted - 10 mins then landed before 1st warning - when this comes down she comes in hot.. lol

So far it's been a killer day of flying (better buy lottery tickets)

"Fly-em if you got-em"

EMCSQUAR said:
Fellow 1.5er's - redid mine (again) prepping for Zen 3D (which is enroute) decided since today was PERFECT flying weather - 70deg absolutely no wind - without camera, gimbal or GS and external TX = 19mins until first warning (10.6) - this is after weeks of tweaking gains - what a balancing act!

Figuring I was on hot streak - took 450 w/mega 5k 4S battery w/GS & Tx mounted - 10 mins then landed before 1st warning - when this comes down she comes in hot.. lol

So far it's been a killer day of flying (better buy lottery tickets)

"Fly-em if you got-em"

It's great when the weather is perfect for flying! What's the weight of your 450 btw? I'm getting my battery/flight time curves optimized for that platform now and there's not quite as much comparative data out there as with the Phantom.

my 450 weighs 1235gs w/5000 4S, 1140 w/5000 3S. Strange anomoly today, with it set at 3S battery calibration/warnings - I get 5:30 w/3S, 10mins+ w/4S both are rated exactly 25-30c. She likes the bigger battery and added voltage for sure. Flys heavy but ultra smooth.

Am contemplating adding E300 set-up to Phantom - locks GPS within 38 secs, flys smoother, faster and even sounds smoother.

EMCSQUAR said:
Am contemplating adding E300 set-up to Phantom

I'm thinking about doing the same, at least with the motors. Can't really see any way to get the ESC's inside, even if I get creative with the layout in my 1.5. However, I can imagine strapping them to the side of the body could work... :idea:

After re-reading your post, I noticed something interesting...

You get ~10 min with a 5000mAh 4S bat, on a 1235g 450. When I use a 5000mAh or 5200mAh 4S (just one) on my 550 I get about the same flight time...but my AUW for that is 2880g. In fact, that test flight yesterday (the one I posted a vid of) went 10:26, and that even had the gopro's weight added so my AUW was actually a bit over 3kg.

I suspect there should be a way for you to get better times on your 450, I'm not sure what you might need to adjust though.

EMCSQUAR said:
my 450 weighs 1235gs w/5000 4S, 1140 w/5000 3S. Strange anomoly today, with it set at 3S battery calibration/warnings - I get 5:30 w/3S, 10mins+ w/4S both are rated exactly 25-30c. She likes the bigger battery and added voltage for sure. Flys heavy but ultra smooth.

Am contemplating adding E300 set-up to Phantom - locks GPS within 38 secs, flys smoother, faster and even sounds smoother.

Do you have the E300 on the F450? Your flight times seem a bit off to me. Assuming you're running "standard" ESCs and 2212/920s and no power-hungry accessories installed, an F450 is really no different than a Phantom. If your AUW is the same, your flight times should be very similar. 1140g with a 5000mah 3S should not be warning out at 5:30, and the difference running the lower line loss of a 4S should not be double the flight time. Again, depending on your propulsion system, my guess is you have quite a bit of power left on the table in both cases, and are using less than 40% of your battery on the 3S config.

My F450 Y6 running E300 is just north of 1300g with a 5200mah 10C 3S battery, and I get 17 minutes on that. I get 15 minutes on a 4400mah 3S and 18 minutes with a 5400mah. I don't have any 4S packs to test with, but am pretty happy with the 3S flight times so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydistribution