Video and FPV for Phantom 2

Ravecreative said:
Ah, no

I have one here though - bought it by mistake :)
Yeah, I finally figured that one out. So, I just bought a Black Pearl monitor/receiver w/battery, a charger for it, the iOSD, an AVL58, a Flysight antenna kit with holes in the antenna connectors (RP-SMA), and a Tarot mount for the RC. Hopefully everything will play nice together. Gonna run over to Dronefly today to pick up the iOSD and the AVL58 (they're right up the freeway from me) and the rest of the stuff might get here before the weekend. So, now I will actually be able to see what the heck I'm shooting. :D

BTW, I'm really blown away with the quality of the GoPro in 1080/60 W mode and when combined with the stability of the Zenmuse, the shots are amazing. Now, all I have to do is hone my technique as an operator.

Do you think I should upgrade the Zenmuse firmware to the latest version or leave it alone? Are you still having the crazy fast tilt problem?

Nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo. Don't upgrade it :)

I wish I could go back, it's way too fast still.
I might put a little video up of the speed it is now.

See how you get on with the tarot mount. I gave up on it as it was too close to the sticks, and designed my own. I ended up selling it and getting really positive feedback from everyone.

droneranger said:
Do you think I should upgrade the Zenmuse firmware to the latest version or leave it alone? Are you still having the crazy fast tilt problem?

I upgraded being a newbie and have all the latest versions installed on my setup.
I'm using a Futaba radio and receiver (don't trust the standard radio) where the speed of movement can be set and I don't realise how quick they are. For ex, panning (rudder) is also too fast when recording but I flip a switch and my panning slows down by 60% or what I set it to; thus concentrating on flying and recording and not how much to push on a stick.

Ravecreative said:
Nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo. Don't upgrade it :)

I wish I could go back, it's way too fast still.
I might put a little video up of the speed it is now.

See how you get on with the tarot mount. I gave up on it as it was too close to the sticks, and designed my own. I ended up selling it and getting really positive feedback from everyone.
Yes, please post the video. I'll see how the Tarot works out and if I find that it is too close to the controls, I just might have you print one of yours out for me.

Cor Brink said:
droneranger said:

I upgraded being a newbie and have all the latest versions installed on my setup.
I'm using a Futaba radio and receiver (don't trust the standard radio) where the speed of movement can be set and I don't realise how quick they are. For ex, panning (rudder) is also too fast when recording but I flip a switch and my panning slows down by 60% or what I set it to; thus concentrating on flying and recording and not how much to push on a stick.
That's good to know. Do you think that the tilt movement is smooth enough to be used during a take while shooting video? Which Futaba did you get?

droneranger said:
Cor Brink said:
droneranger said:

That's good to know. Do you think that the tilt movement is smooth enough to be used during a take while shooting video? Which Futaba did you get?

Tilt is smooth enough and you can tilt really slow.
I've been using Futaba 14SG for years with my other planes and put a 7008sb rx in the P2. I get main and receiver power telemetry back to the radio with audible alarm and vibration when power goes low which I find is better than checking the power on the monitor from osd.

Cool! Thanks for the info Cor Brink!

Another positive feedback for Ravecreative's mount.

Even the screw provided is nice!

Ravecreative said:
OK, I was concerned enough about the bend in the aerial on the TX, that i bought these 90degree adapters
I wanted to get the aerial as visible as poss on the P2 and the manual says dont bend them more than 30 degrees - so this way they remain straight.

As you might have seen, the weather in the UK has been shocking lately, so i've only had these out once - but they seem pretty good

They were about £6 for a pair - so not bad value

Nice setup. I'm looking at getting that FPV for my P2 but I was wondering does it come with the needed cable to connect my HERO3 or do I need to purchase that separately? Is there anything else I need to purchase to get this baby up and working? Thanks in advance.

Yes. You just need to do a couple of soldering actions to mate the cables. All you need for FPV is the FPV set up plus an iOSD Mini.

rmklaw said:
Yes. You just need to do a couple of soldering actions to mate the cables. All you need for FPV is the FPV set up plus an iOSD Mini.

Thanks for the quick response. Wow!! I was assuming it would be a plug and play since it was from DJI. I've been also looking at the Storm "Deluxe" FPV setup from HeliPal...seems much more user friendly. I'll have to do some further research and make my decision.

This one is really catching my eye.

http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html

FangsCPO said:
rmklaw said:

Thanks for the quick response. Wow!! I was assuming it would be a plug and play since it was from DJI. I've been also looking at the Storm "Deluxe" FPV setup from HeliPal...seems much more user friendly. I'll have to do some further research and make my decision.

This one is really catching my eye.

http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html
Well, I'd say that the Storm solution is not necessarily more user friendly than the DJI solution since you still need to do a bit of soldering. One nice thing about DJI's video transmitter, the AVL-58, is that it is fully enclosed in an aluminum housing which affords it more protection when it is mounted on the outside of the Phantom's shell, which is the way most folks do it. This provides access in case of any issues down the road and if you're going to use an iOSD-Mini, you'll want that outside of the shell anyway so that you can access its USB connector for adjustments and setup. However, I have seen some builds where the person managed to cram everything inside of the shell and it certainly looks neater, but it is not needed aerodynamically.

If you want a true solder-less solution and can wait a bit, DJI just announced a kit that provides just that, no soldering. Here is the news release about it:

http://www.dji.com/dji-released-the-fpv ... phantom-2/

My sources say that it should be relatively affordable (like around $15-$20 US).

However, you will have to split the shell of the quadrotor to access one of the internal connectors and DJI recommends that the FPV Hub be placed on the outside of the airframe (as they do with the AVL-58 and the iOSD-Mini). So while it eliminates soldering, it adds to the clutter outside of the aircraft and requires you opening up the airframe itself. To my way of thinking, making a few simple solder joints is easier. :)

Thanks! Great info. So if I go with the Dji FPV which screen should I get that I can attach to my radio?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:
Thanks! Great info. So if I go with the Dji FPV which screen should I get that I can attach to my radio?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
If you already own a 5.8GHz receiver (RX) then any small, battery operated monitor will suffice. You should be aware that many of them go to "blue screen" when the video signal from the aircraft becomes too weak. You don't want this. What you want is a monitor whose picture gradually starts to degrade with increased video noise when the signal gets weak so that you still can see something until you reacquire a better signal.

If you do not have an RX, then you might want to look at some of the integrated receiver/monitor systems that have built-in (hopefully replaceable) batteries. A lot of this will depend on if you want a light, easily transportable system with a minimum or wires, velcro, and bits-n-pieces or if you prefer more "industry-standard" hardware that is often more flexible, serviceable, and replaceable, but is often bulkier and not as well integrated. It's a trade off.

droneranger said:
Go into your Settings menu on the GoPro and look for the OSD option. According to the manual (Pg.44), you should be able to switch off all the on screen icons during shooting and playback. I haven't tried this myself, but it looks like that should kill them.

Yep. That is what you have to do. Just finished an install of an el-cheapo setup from rcdepot (well.. sort of el-cheap). Used page 6 of the P2 manual for all wiring. Works great. I have a 7" monitor/rx that I'm going to have to mount to the controller- putting it on a tripod sucks. Did a test flight today - after running it through the procedures and making sure everything was solid, I took it up to a little altitude and flew it past some trees. It was just out of sight but the monitor was strong. Used the monitor to get it oriented and brought it back. Very nice.

Ravecreative, what an AWSOME video monitor mount for your phantom transmitter!I have been looking for a nice mount for weeks! Would you consider printing an extra mount and selling it to me? This would complete my FPV setup. Many thanks from Montana!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka