V01.03.0418 Firmware Succcess!

Reaction score
If anyone was on the fence like me for a while about updating. I went ahead and did my P4P today. Specifically because I wanted the continuous Auto focus feature. (I have enough finger prints on my ipad screen as it is.. lol).

Anyhow I put it off for a while due to many of the negative comments brought up between here and the actual DJI Support forums. I guess it's normal that places like that are going to attract more customers seeking answers to an issue than to just praise how great things went. So for what it's worth. I just wanted to say I installed my firmware update using the Assistant 1.1.0 and it reached 100% complete without any problems. I connected my controller to my Ipad and powered up the Phantom and was alerted there was a firmware update required for the controller. That went through no problem as well. Checked my sensors.. Everything looked good and took a nice little test flight around the neighborhood without a problem.

Reactions: WebheadFred
I still can't figure out why people use the Assistant software to update the drone given how many issues Assistant has.

I use the GO 4 app. Turn on controller, turn on P4P with my iPhone running the GO 4 app opened. It asks me to download the update and it installs. Turn off P4P after it finishes installing. Plug in iPhone to the controller, open FPV view on the app, click the bar at the top saying controller needs to update. Download update and it installs the update to the controller.

I think the total process took me under 10 minutes. Too easy.

I still can't figure out why people use the Assistant software to update the drone given how many issues Assistant has.

I use the GO 4 app. Turn on controller, turn on P4P with my iPhone running the GO 4 app opened. It asks me to download the update and it installs. Turn off P4P after it finishes installing. Plug in iPhone to the controller, open FPV view on the app, click the bar at the top saying controller needs to update. Download update and it installs the update to the controller.

I think the total process took me under 10 minutes. Too easy.
Mine has flawless using the GO 4 app as well Kman! And it's so easy too!

Well, I for one am one of the unlucky owners that has NEVER had success updating firmware via the DJI GO 4 app.

I have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 with KitKat 4.4.2 and the latest updates for it. Every time I go to update the firmware via DJI GO 4, it gets to 5-6% and then the app just crashes with a "DJI GO 4 has stopped" error.

So, the only way I can do firmware updates is via DJI Assistant... If that wouldn't have worked, I would have sent my P4P back the day I got it.

It is obvious they really need to fix DJI GO 4 for all Android devices.

After reading so much about issues and conjecture for YEARS from many users on DJI GO and DJI GO 4, it is obvious they really need to fix these apps. People have tried blaming the various tablets, and yes, if it is a really low-end, you can't expect it to run, but there is no reason it won't run on just about any quad-processor tablet. It is obvious that DJI needs to seriously invest is proper Android developers. Either that or just give everyone their money back and pull the products form the market. But to claim compatibility and then people have the app crash in flight and all the other issues involved is crazy.

And, being a developer, I understand there are a ton of issues to overcome with various devices and such, but c'mon, this has been going on for YEARS at this point. I mean they can't even keep the P4P+ tablet working without crashing, and they control the hardware as well in that case.

I wasn't opposed to using Go App to do the update at all. I guess it's just what you hear when you sit down to get started on it. For me I was hearing issues from people trying to update with the Go app. Something about a broken package message, etc. Just head over to the DJI Forum and there seems to be a majority of issues updating with the Go app. This is likely because it's probably the most popular way to update. Many people said the Assist was working. In addition I read that the NFZ DB was updated with higher success using the Assist. So I just figured keep it simple and it's what I used when I first got my P4P to do the initial firmware updates.

Next time I'll give the Go App a shot and see how that does.

FWIW : The Assist app is just as easy to use as I'd imagine Go 4 is... You open the app and it shows you an unplugged USB Cord. As soon as you plug it into the Phantom it animates the USB plug being connected and shows you the latest firmware and you simply click "Update". It will download and install. Nothing to it. So yeah I'm sure the Go App is simple and straight forward but just be aware the Assist isn't complicated to use at all should you ever need to fall back to using it..

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I feel that for the past two fw upgrades, the craft gets more and more unstable in the air, not holding its pos, and floats around, often within a radius of up to 5m.
Anyone else?
And then theres the notorious weak or no gps signals even if the bar shows 17-19, that also interferes and causes the craft drift... P3P was better by a mile.

I feel that for the past two fw upgrades, the craft gets more and more unstable in the air, not holding its pos, and floats around, often within a radius of up to 5m.
Anyone else?
And then theres the notorious weak or no gps signals even if the bar shows 17-19, that also interferes and causes the craft drift... P3P was better by a mile.
I too have noticed more drift even when coming to or after a stop. It's been windy but seems worse than previous firmware to me.

Reactions: gr8pics
Anyone else?

Have you done a cold IMU calibration and a compass calibration after the firmware update?

Have you done a cold IMU calibration and a compass calibration after the firmware update?
I have not Kman. Do you always do that after an update? In fact, I have never calibrated my IMU or Compass ever! Had it since Nov. Read where you don't really need to unless prompted. Your thoughts?

I have not Kman. Do you always do that after an update? In fact, I have never calibrated my IMU or Compass ever! Had it since Nov. Read where you don't really need to unless prompted. Your thoughts?
My gimbal was considerably worse just after upgrading the firmware. But ive done an IMU recalibration and it is improved. Much more level. Still not perfect (moves around during yaw and takeoff) but more than acceptable. I might try do a compass calibration to see if that improves it any further..

Great work! I have never had any issues upgrading using the DJI Assistant for Windows. I am not able to get a great signal where I live but my aircard works well and it's the only access I can get where I live. I am not sure why we no longer have the oldest version of firmware to downgrade to though. It seems like when I first opened the application with my P4 Pro I had three firmware versions available but now only two?

Always good practice to do a cold IMU calibration after an update. Stick the P4P in the freezer for 10-15 minutes with the battery out. Then do an IMU calibration. Make sure it's on a completely level surface.

After you do an IMU calibration it's good to do a gimbal calibration when the P4P is warm again. Make sure it's on a completely level surface. Make sure the P4P isn't cold when you do the gimbal calibration.

I calibrate the compass after a firmware update also. After that, I only do it if I travel more than 50-100 miles from the last spot I did the compass calibration. I don't rely on the app to tell me to do a compass calibration because it isn't accurate. I've flown some places where the app told me I didn't need to do a compass calibration but as soon as I took off the P4P started hovering in a 5x5 foot circle. If this happens the compass needs to be calibrated.

My gimbal was considerably worse just after upgrading the firmware. But ive done an IMU recalibration and it is improved. Much more level. Still not perfect (moves around during yaw and takeoff) but more than acceptable. I might try do a compass calibration to see if that improves it any further..

Did you do a gimbal calibration on a completely level surface after you did the IMU calibration?

Always good practice to do a cold IMU calibration after an update. Stick the P4P in the freezer for 10-15 minutes with the battery out. Then do an IMU calibration. Make sure it's on a completely level surface.

Please dont do that, the extreme temp rise will cause condense, and in worst case corrosion and damage to the electronics.
Let it just sit outside the door for 10-15 mins and then do a calibration.
The only you thing you can gain by doing a cold calibration, is a faster bootup before flying.

Please dont do that, the extreme temp rise will cause condense, and in worst case corrosion and damage to the electronics.
Let it just sit outside the door for 10-15 mins and then do a calibration.
The only you thing you can gain by doing a cold calibration, is a faster bootup before flying.

Never have had any issues and I've owned P3P, P4, and P4P. Did it with them all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl