Using a TV for FPV screen

Reaction score
Hello all!

I've recently seen some videos of people using 15"-29" LCD TVs for FPV, as opposed to the usual goggles or 7" screen.

In my house, I have a 32" TV that isn't really being used for much, and was wondering if it would make a good choice.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17165467?www= ... irect=true

I connected the TV to my 7" Neewer® RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz 7" LCD Diversity Receiver Monitor for RC FPV, and the image looked great (indoors though).

6t01Uxl.jpg

My main concerns are:

How can I tell if this TV will "blue screen" or just show static when out of range? I've heard from a few people that blue screening is very annoying to deal with.
Can I buy some sort of adapter to allow this TV to run off a Lipo that I can carry in the field with me?
If so, what types of Lipos generally work and how long do they last?
If this TV wouldn't work for any reason, is the best TV still the 19" Vizio? I saw threads from years ago suggesting it, but am not sure if something better has come along

If you have any general info about setting up a ground station with a TV at all, I would greatly appreciate it!

Or links to other people's setups

I've been looking around on YouTube and Google and the information seems very sparse and a bit hard to understand for someone new to the hobby.

Thanks for your time and help!

Wah... Seriously? :lol:

Well, you could carry a generator around. Set up at the beach, pull out the grill, set up the tv outside

A lipo to power a 32" TV? lol

sergekouper said:
Wah... Seriously? :lol:

indeed, I'm trying to get the biggest monitor setup I can :D

I know its possible to power 19" with Lipos, but I don't know enough to make a call about a 32".

My plan was to either mount the TV in the back of the vehicle or to carry it in a separate bag and mount it to a tripod

Out of curiosity. Why?

How do you fit that on your RC?

If you get a UPS designed for computer use, you could plug your TV in and probably get an hour of use.

dptcalvin said:
Out of curiosity. Why?

When I've flown before in public places (beaches, parks, etc) I got a lot of people who wanted to watch.

I figure if I can hook up a bigger monitor it would be more fun for the onlookers :D

Right now I am planning to try out that 32" TV I suppose, as I found a generator that will power it for a few hours.

I'm gonna strap it to a separate backpack for one of my friends to wear

NickCopter said:
dptcalvin said:
I'm gonna strap it to a separate backpack for one of my friends to wear

Is your friend called Hercules ? :lol:

A good friend will help you move, but a true friend will strap a 32 inch monitor to his back and follow you when you fly your drone..

All kidding aside, I always say we are all ambassadors for the drone hobby. I think it's an awesome idea. (For the onlookers, not the true friend.)

what wattage will the 32" draw, you can get some pretty high current invertors (these will drain a battery pretty quickly obviously)

I've seen someone in the Inspire facebook group post pictures of some giant screen rig in the back of a pickup truck showing FPV as they are flying the Inspires. No idea of the specs of what they were powering it with. It wasn't a small rig.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl