Took the P3P for a joy ride! 10k out!

Reaction score
Woohoo! I finally bit the bullet and took the P3P out for a long distance joy ride! Ran outside for lunch and it was sunny and reasonably calm winds. Healthy drones says I got to 10,025 ft which is where I lost signal. Hit RTH and let it come home a few hundred feet and then took over again for the return trip. Still had enough battery for a quick drive around the work building here to get some video of the front at low altitude (<10').

First thing I did was run it straight up to see how it reacted at 400' Then back down and along a major highway not over, just along. It got out to 10k and thats when the video started breaking up. So I got cold feet and came home :) On the way back, I browsed over a residential neighborhood. Still had some battery life so I took her for a spin around to the front of my work to get some video of the front of our building. Peeked in the windows for grins. Hopped up over the roof and to the parking lot with 38% left. Still not willing to push the battery low mark. Yet. I just don't have the stones some of yall have to fly it on vapors.

This makes me feel a lot better about this bird's capabilities. I am thinking I may 3D print one of those reflectors and see if I can get her a bit farther out.

Light winds, around 8 and 34F.

Here is the flight:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Ok, new videos up. With and without gauges, take your pick:

Last edited:
Woohoo! I finally bit the bullet and took the P3P out for a long distance joy ride! Ran outside for lunch and it was sunny and reasonably calm winds. Healthy drones says I got to 10,025 ft which is where I lost signal. Hit RTH and let it come home a few hundred feet and then took over again for the return trip. Still had enough battery for a quick drive around the work building here to get some video of the front at low altitude (<10').

First thing I did was run it straight up to see how it reacted at 400' Then back down and along a major highway not over, just along. It got out to 10k and thats when the video started breaking up. So I got cold feet and came home :) On the way back, I browsed over a residential neighborhood. Still had some battery life so I took her for a spin around to the front of my work to get some video of the front of our building. Peeked in the windows for grins. Hopped up over the roof and to the parking lot with 38% left. Still not willing to push the battery low mark. Yet. I just don't have the stones some of yall have to fly it on vapors.

This makes me feel a lot better about this bird's capabilities. I am thinking I may 3D print one of those reflectors and see if I can get her a bit farther out.

Here is the flight:
10K feet distance with stock antenna? That's impressive - I've never gotten that without using a windsurfer mod.

Yes. Bone stock. The only difference from stock is using Litchi instead of GO.

Your RC is completely stock? 10K feet is an amazing for a stock RC with no mods. I have windsurfers on mine and I have only taken it out to 8500 ft..

Here is the flight:

I don't think you have a problem with stones - that flight took a lot of stones :) I've never gotten anywhere near that far away with mine.

Must be in a very flat area with not much interference - not urban at all...

East side of Waukesha, WI population 76,000 the flight flew from there to over Brookfield, 37000 population toward Milwaukee (visible in distance) population 600k.

Your RC is completely stock? 10K feet is an amazing for a stock RC with no mods. I have windsurfers on mine and I have only taken it out to 8500 ft..

Yes, just bought it this past Saturday. Haven't done anything but charge it and attach my phone.

Balls of iron. But the low population area and flat geography explains a lot.

East side of Waukesha, WI population 76,000 the flight flew from there to over Brookfield, 37000 population toward Milwaukee (visible in distance) population 600k.

Yes, just bought it this past Saturday. Haven't done anything but charge it and attach my phone.

Balls of iron. But the low population area and flat geography explains a lot.
Its very flat in this area, yes. It ain't like its up in the Rock's. But its not pool table flat like Nebraska either. I thnik the area has ground deviations +- 300 or so. But thats a guess, don't have a topo right now.

Going to print up a reflector (thingiverse) this week and see if I can best that. We have some weather coming so not sure when next flight will be, which is why I headed out at lunch.

Its probably kinda boring to yall but if yall want me to I will run the video through Premiere tonight and can ship it up to youtube. Not really exciting scenery, just typical commercial and residential areas and a buzz around work at low level.

I have seen folks with telemetry data (flight altitude, attitude, etc) on video. How is that done? If someone can point me at a tutorial on that, I would like to try and see how that works.

Here is the flight:

you were grounded for a few days right? glad to hear you got it working.

Ko. Will run it through Premiere while I am helping the granddaughter with her homework and will post it here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl