Took the P3P for a joy ride! 10k out!

How does that relate to line of sight? 10,000ft is close to 2 miles, last I heard. LOS is generally considered to be around 1500 feet or a half mile. You must have the eyesight of Superman. I wouldn't call that "stones", I would call it something else. You can't avoid what you can't see.

Woohoo! I finally bit the bullet and took the P3P out for a long distance joy ride! Ran outside for lunch and it was sunny and reasonably calm winds. Healthy drones says I got to 10,025 ft which is where I lost signal. Hit RTH and let it come home a few hundred feet and then took over again for the return trip. Still had enough battery for a quick drive around the work building here to get some video of the front at low altitude (<10').

A lot of things affect reception besides distance. Take it from a Ham operator, KG7ONC.
It works until it doesn't. :)

I assume the same distance. I don't think GO has any bearing on how far the radio reaches.

How does that relate to line of sight? 10,000ft is close to 2 miles, last I heard. LOS is generally considered to be around 1500 feet or a half mile. You must have the eyesight of Superman. I wouldn't call that "stones", I would call it something else. You can't avoid what you can't see.

Except that I can. I had 4 people on the ground following the drone. So yes, it was in LOS of an observer at all times.

Reactions: lookin4pain
I haven't used Litchi (yet). Actually, to get this to work, I had to grab the flight log off my iPad DGI GO app, dump it up to healthydrones, then download the CSV and it worked. There may be an easier way, I haven't put a lot of effort into researching it.

How so you download a csv file from healthy drones? I am trying to use Dashware and also need the csv file. DJI GO only has a txt file. Thanks in advance.

Nerves of steel is right! My office is just up the road - that was quite a run. Thanks for posting the video. Nice to see an area I recognize.

Great video. A few of questions, is this a different app you are using to show altitude and distance, can you , in flight, switch from that app to the go app, and you were able to use home button even though the bird lost signal?

Great video. A few of questions, is this a different app you are using to show altitude and distance, can you , in flight, switch from that app to the go app, and you were able to use home button even though the bird lost signal?

Litchi for DJI Phantom/Inspire

As for switching during a flight, I have no reason to do that. GO on my Galaxy S5 is completely unstable and I would not risk the bird using it. I don't know why GO freezes and crashes. Other people with the same S5 phone report it works fine. Is what it is I guess. I don't trust it, therefore I don't use it. From what I have seen Litchi is a better app anyway.

Do note that the videos are NOT screen captures. These do not show what the screen looks like during flight. The flight data was downloaded, the video and the flight data combined in a program called DashWare to overlay the flight data on top of the recorded video.

Yes, I pressed the button when I lost video feed. You can see in the video, I did a 360 spin after loosing video. When I didn't see any response from the video during the spin, I pressed the RTH button on the RC. When it came back a couple hundred feet and I re-acquired the video feed, I canceled RTH and took over flight for the return trip home.

Reactions: David Cohran
That was some amazing distance! the furthest out i've taken it is like 100-150ft lol... my only advice is be VERY careful, you were fine up until the end with the highway, with the "fall-out-of-the-sky" problem with these birds especially if something like that were to happen over a highway you'd be very screwed. like Jtrjr said, plan very carefully and fly safe, and keep posting! i hope to one day dare and take mine out that far! lol

Last edited:
My plan was to turn southeast over the Gander Mountain and head across the 6-lane highway then proceed out southeast and then cross the freeway and then east along the south side of the 6-lane (Bluemound rd at that point). But it lost video as I crossed the GM store and it continued in a straight line until it stopped just shy of the cloverleaf. I never wanted to cross the cloverleaf area, was not my plan. I knew if it fell there I might not ever recover it due to pedestrians are not allowed in that area.

One of my spotters was already in the commerce parking lot southeast of the gander mountain ready to pick it up and track it across the 6-lane and one was heading down to the Best Buy area east of there to pick it up as it headed parallel to the 6-lane again.

My plan was to turn southeast over the Gander Mountain and head across the 6-lane highway then proceed out southeast and then cross the freeway and then east along the south side of the 6-lane (Bluemound rd at that point). But it lost video as I crossed the GM store and it continued in a straight line until it stopped just shy of the cloverleaf. I never wanted to cross the cloverleaf area, was not my plan. I knew if it fell there I might not ever recover it due to pedestrians are not allowed in that area.

One of my spotters was already in the commerce parking lot southeast of the gander mountain ready to pick it up and track it across the 6-lane and one was heading down to the Best Buy area east of there to pick it up as it headed parallel to the 6-lane again.

so your saying the secret to long distance flight is a lot of spotters! lol i need to make more friends... i've got family up in oshkosh (i'm in chi, hence the no chance of going that far here) i'm hoping to 'visit' just so i can fly up there especially now that i got my rainbowers filters i can't wait to get some shots in!

No, its the secret of doing it safely. I had one with me doing a conference call to the 3 in the field who were leapfrogging each other. Thats one reason I was following the 6 lane. That way there would be easy reasonable speeds for the spotters to travel and hopefully nobody would get stuck in traffic.

When I took the side trip through the residential area, one got stuck in a cul-de-sac and had to turn around and play catch up. It wasn't far from home by then so no biggie.

Isnt the law line of sight?
And didn't you see that I said I had 4 observers? One by me with 3 on the road leapfrogging the whole way. It was in LOS of at least one observer at all times and those had direct communications back to me (conference call on cell phones).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj