Took the P3P for a joy ride! 10k out!

Frankly, until all these lawsuits and challenges end up with firm rulings and firm interpretations, its all a crap shoot what is and is not within the "spirit" of the FAA's guidelines.

They have said that FPV goggles are not legal because you can't monitor the surrounding area and evade other aircraft and you must do so with unaided vision (ie no binoculars or other sight enhancements). So everyone flying with goggles is also doing so illegally. Right now. Until another ruling comes down to counter that one.

Having 3 sets of eyes on the drone and one beside me (and I don't own goggles) fulfills the "spirit" of the LOS law. How many drone flights have you seen that had 5 sets of eyes on it in addition to 3 drivers? It was under constant supervision by unaided human eyes at all times.

I think anyone who gives you a hard time is a tool.

Frankly, until all these lawsuits and challenges end up with firm rulings and firm interpretations, its all a crap shoot what is and is not within the "spirit" of the FAA's guidelines.

They have said that FPV goggles are not legal because you can't monitor the surrounding area and evade other aircraft and you must do so with unaided vision (ie no binoculars or other sight enhancements). So everyone flying with goggles is also doing so illegally. Right now. Until another ruling comes down to counter that one.

Having 3 sets of eyes on the drone and one beside me (and I don't own goggles) fulfills the "spirit" of the LOS law. How many drone flights have you seen that had 5 sets of eyes on it in addition to 3 drivers? It was under constant supervision by unaided human eyes at all times.

I think anyone who gives you a hard time is a tool.
Until he proves otherwise, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and consider he may be genuinely interested in the subject. His posts could be taken either as inquisitive or aggressive. I will choose inquisitive for now.

I think I took fair and reasonable precautions for the flight. And if I didn't, I am ok with someone pointing that out so I can do better next trip.

Hit two miles out today.. 10,600 feet with stock P3P, and stock RC with windsurfers only. Had no issues with signal loss, loss of control, erratic control or anything. I could have easily and will go at least 11,000 feet out next time. I was in a remote canyon area with little or no people present and had LOS the whole time. Also no interference issues apparently. Its funny how DJI can be so brilliant and make products that can do these things, but at the same time fail miserably in areas like plastics used in the P3..

4 spotters huh? Lol. They seem to always appear after the drone police chime in.

Hi there,
YouTube is beefed-up with long range flights in stock conditions: I do remember the one shot in Germany by some Turkish guys who made 5+ clicks (16400+ feet for you Yankees).

As sometimes I've used windsurfers (the ones "laser tested" :blush: ) where LOS is spoiled not in terms of distance but of obstacles (as dense trees, top of small buildings, etc.), my question would be: have you ever tried to use 'em with the same purpose, so "close-by" flights but impaired sight on the bird? Did you manage to maintain RC signal and video all the time, if so?

Cheers
fabbio

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl