Thinking of throwing the towel in already!

Yeah, I don't know what it is about these that bring out the crazy in people. Well I guess there are enough videos on places like YouTube to give people just cause for concern, but the other 99.99% of us don't really give a crap about what the neighbor down the street is doing in his backyard, or have even looked at him for that matter! Like you said, I think most of us just really enjoy the new perspective that quadcopters give us.

Folks dont like to be monitored, they feel a camera in the sky sees them as easily as they see the camera. Human nature to feel suspicious.

Next time that cop comes around on your property to tell you off record him as you ask him to leave your property and not come back. He isn't on official business and he doesn't make up the rules.

Reactions: Mackie
I got my Phantom 4 Pro at Christmas in a deal, I'd been saving money for it for some time. In the meantime I did a lot of research reading and watching tutorials etc etc. The main reason for buying was my interest in Aerial photography. It's just mindblowing to see things from a diferent perspective and I planned on getting my licence and going commercial as this market isn't saturated yet and would have a good chance of taking it somewhere. I am fully aware of drone laws and always fly within the law. To cut a long story short I posted a short video on Facebook hoping others might appreciate drones in the way I do making sure only my friends could see it but I started getting harrassed by some guy that knows nothing about drones making threats. I was tempted to retaliate and defend myself but thought better of it. This is not the first time I've been hassled by other people. I'm seriously thinking of getting shot of my drone now as one of the other reasons for buying a drone was to escape from real life for a bit and just admire our beautiful land from above. Vent over!
Agree totally with your statements; and that is why I put my videos "unlisted" on YouTube. So...just don't post them on Facebook. Post them ... here instead. I don't have a Facebook account (don't want people I don't know having any contact with me; can you make that video available under "friends only?".

Know this: "you can't fix stupid", and unfortunately, "stupid" can be found everywhere. You have to avoid those people--some are dangerously unhinged, and can and will hurt you. Likely this guy is jealous or has some kind of agenda.

We had a similar thread going on here a week ago on a similar topic--and much of the consensus was about "education". Most of us feel the same as you, when you see the beauty of the landscape, you are captivated and want to share--totally normal.

Don't advertise. (or at least keep it to your inner circle). People fear and hate what they don't understand.

I got my Phantom 4 Pro at Christmas in a deal, I'd been saving money for it for some time. In the meantime I did a lot of research reading and watching tutorials etc etc. The main reason for buying was my interest in Aerial photography. It's just mindblowing to see things from a diferent perspective and I planned on getting my licence and going commercial as this market isn't saturated yet and would have a good chance of taking it somewhere. I am fully aware of drone laws and always fly within the law. To cut a long story short I posted a short video on Facebook hoping others might appreciate drones in the way I do making sure only my friends could see it but I started getting harrassed by some guy that knows nothing about drones making threats. I was tempted to retaliate and defend myself but thought better of it. This is not the first time I've been hassled by other people. I'm seriously thinking of getting shot of my drone now as one of the other reasons for buying a drone was to escape from real life for a bit and just admire our beautiful land from above. Vent over!
I remembered something that happened a LONG time ago. I lived in Texas, and they have gorgeous spring wildflowers (in days of 35mm cameras). I was out in a field take pictures a bit off a two lane road, and some jerk in a passing vehicle hurled a beer bottle at me (laughing as he did so)--missing me by about 3 or 4 feet. The bottle traveled with such velocity it's very likely I would have been hurt or possibly killed had it hit me. Why? I was just a person taking pictures on a tripod. Crazies are among us, as people have said.

I had some guys want to start barking at me the other evening while shooting the sunset over a local lake. They wanted to talk big until my tactical baton came out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Neon Euc
I had some guys want to start barking at me the other evening while shooting the sunset over a local lake. They wanted to talk big until my tactical baton came out.
I have a feeling you're not in the US. I carry more than a tactical stick around with me ;) Someone else will say my 9mm is not as good as their .45 in 5-4-3-2-1 :D

20170301_201304.jpg

Reactions: Neon Euc and Mackie
Next time that cop comes around on your property to tell you off record him as you ask him to leave your property and not come back. He isn't on official business and he doesn't make up the rules.

Yes, that's correct, he wasn't on duty, and I did tell him as nicely as I could, as he was leaving, that I would continue to fly the drone from my yard and over non populated areas as I always do.
Interestingly, some of his first brusque words were "do you know the rules when flying these things", I replied indeed I do. That slowed him briefly, so I don't think he did know them.
But he was on a mission to nail me, and minor details like facts and evidence weren't going to deter him!

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct, he wasn't on duty, and I did tell him as nicely as I could, as he was leaving, that I would continue to fly the drone from my yard and over non populated areas as I always do.
Interestingly, some of his first brusque words were "do you know the rules when flying these things", I replied indeed I do. That slowed him briefly, so I don't think he did knew them.
But he was on a mission to nail me, and minor details like facts and evidence weren't going to deter him!
If he wasn't on duty, then my guess is he was a friend of the complainer and flipping his tin in an inappropriate use of his police authority.

If he wasn't on duty, then my guess is he was a friend of the complainer and flipping his tin in an inappropriate use of his police authority.

Actually, and no sour grapes here, he doesn't have many friends in the neighbourhood, he is known for his dubious attitude. But that's always a possibility.
As has been said before by others in this forum, I too, like to stay calm and explain what these drones can do, but some, like this guy, just close their ears to reasonable discussion.

Last edited:
Actually, and no sour grapes here, he doesn't have many friends in the neighbourhood, he is known for his dubious attitude. But that's always a possibility.
As has been said before by others in this forum, I too, like to stay calm and explain what these drones can do, but some, like this guy, just close their ears to reasonable discussion.
Lost your original post. Not sure where you are in the world. But in the US, esp in NY it's now frowned upon for officers to act like this off duty. Unless they witness a crime in progess. My father was NYPD for 37 years. Retired 1991. Just for reference for my understanding.

Lost your original post. Not sure where you are in the world. But in the US, esp in NY it's now frowned upon for officers to act like this off duty. Unless they witness a crime in progess. My father was NYPD for 37 years. Retired 1991. Just for reference for my understanding.

I'm in Queensland, Australia. I'm guessing our laws and rules covering drones could be quite different to the US. We are under the control of CASA, Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
I mentioned earlier that we are not to fly over "populous" areas, this is a safety rule rather than a privacy rule. That could mean a suburban area, groups of people, busy roads, wherever there is a risk of damage to person or property by an aircraft falling out of the sky for whatever reason.

Link to CASA for anyone interested.....

Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Notice there are no rules regarding privacy. Because I'm led to believe that in Aus, as far as drones go anyway, there are none. Mind you, I certainly don't advocate interfering with someone's privacy, could end with a Phantom stuffed in a sensitive part of ones anatomy!
But there are other laws that suggest one shouldn't take photos of people without their permission.

Last edited:
just don't mention Chris Masters Moonlight State & you should be OK Mackie.

Really hope you don't stop flying although I do understand your fears. As other people have said on the post, there are too many internet trolls out there no matter what hobby or job you are involved in. I think if you do go down the route of making a living out of it you will be better prepared because you will have clients briefs to follow, property to video etc and this should help to allay any nosey parkers that ask what you are doing. Bear in mind that many TV programs use footage from "drones" now, it's just that many people are too stupid to realise it! Good luck anyway

Interestingly, some of his first brusque words were "do you know the rules when flying these things", I replied indeed I do. That slowed him briefly, so I don't think he did know them.

Next time record him and then make an official complain at the police station where he works. Upload the vid to youtube and post it there.

Someone just posted a you tube where a cop was telling a droner he couldnt fly near his police station. His senior police officer comes out and tells the jnr busybody cop that the drone pilot can legally fly where he is. Sort of like piss off and stop harrassing people for no reason.

I get these fb self appointed twats telling me I can't fly at the 11000 ft altitudes I drone at. Why not I ask. They always reply I might hit passenger aircraft.

I then reply showing them passenger aircraft are not allowed near the mountain peaks I fly from. Twats are everywhere

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z