Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Thinking about getting a third P1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Monte55, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Monte55

I really don't need a third. My other two are flying fine. My concern is...are they still being made? The price is down again and I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have the extra parts. Thoughts? Although I like the features of the newer machines, I'm not ready to deal with all the problems people have with them. I want to fly and have fun. Not worry about when it's going to crash due to battery problems and all the other things that can lead to problems. It's $299 now with second battery and tx batteries and charger.

2. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

A new P2 is $499. Been around for long enough that most of the big issues are resolved.

3. Hughie

Although the ESC issue is not resolved, and there is still an issue with P2s occasionally getting corrupt data and crashing suddenly ? Not sure whether these two affected the P1. The P3 certainly has the ESC issue fixed.

4. Monte55

What will a P2 do for me that a P1 won't other than higher priced batteries and flying time?

5. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Haven't ever flown a P1 so I couldn't give an opinion on the difference but I imagine there is a difference. Having flown the P2 a lot, it's a good platform. Batteries are not exactly cheap, I'll give you that.

6. Monte55

I believe the only difference is bigger props and battery. Maybe lift a tad more. My P1s fly very well and do their job. Of course I can't put all I want on it at one time...fpv tx...gps tracker...camera and gimble. It might lift it for a short flight but there is only so much room on a Phantom. I like some of the neat features of newer models..BUT. ..I want to fly the quad. I really don't want to program it to fly a mission so far away from me that I can't see it while I sit in a chair sipping tea. That's what video games are for. I know we all have different needs so I'm not knocking anyone that wants to do this. I don't want a computer to be in control, I want to be the pilot. These things are getting so complex and it's so easy to make a mistake. Now you have to worry if your phone or tablet is always going to work with the quad etc. Lot of people having issues there. I always feel that when I go out to fly, my quads won't let me down and they haven't yet. So back to original question. How long will P1s be made or available. It is such a simple complex craft that does its job well.

7. Hughie

No idea to your original question about when the supply stream will run dry. But you seem happy with your P1s, I would just buy one.

8. kirk2579

I have had both , and I loved flying the P1... light ,fast , nimble, quieter!

I may grab another one as I miss the one I sold in feb.

I also have a base P2v1 that is really fun and easy to fly without all the vision plus fuss

I also have one of those for when I need or want good videos.

as far as how long will they make it and how long available---its anyone's guess,
    but it makes sense for them to keep a low end starter craft to allow for cheaper intro to quads.

good luck and have fun flying!

9. Monte55

well, I just ordered my third Phantom 1 from BH Photo. With three, I should at least always have one flying. My Phantoms to me are like shoes to women.

IflyinWY likes this.
  10. IflyinWY

I was just going to suggest that you NOT buy another one. What happens if I can't get another one, because you just got the last one? :(

claws and Clipper707 like this.
  11. Monte55

You got me to thinking about I might be being selfish here. After thinking about it for awhile...I remembered that I don't care about that kinna stuff. ;-)

IflyinWY likes this.
  12. Monte55

Just got an email and my new P1 has shipped .Yippie. I'll have so many props and batteries. That will make 9 batteries.

13. SanCap

You could use one of the Phantom 1's components to build your own Flame Wheel 450 or 550. Just add 2 more motors and 2 more esc's and you could have a Hexacopter (550). The possibilities are endless.

14. Clipper707

I loved my P1s. There was something about them that was just so tossable. I felt like it was so light and responsive and I could fling it around the sky. Good luck with your new P1!

15. IflyinWY

I don't believe you, but just so you can sleep easy tonight, I thought I would let you know, mine will ship tomorrow... :p

dirkclod likes this.
  16. Suwaneeguy

If you're still interested, I could sell you my P1.
    Purchased about 2 years ago now.
    I bought the P2 mainly for the longer flying times and I feel the P2 has better flight stability.
    While they both do the same thing, it probably boils down to personal preferences.
    Make me an offer.

17. Monte55

Did you order from Band H also? I was trying to talk myself out of getting another one but my argument was too weak. .

18. Clipper707

Monte, how are your P1s equipped? What mods and how are your flight times?

19. IflyinWY

Yep B&H. They said some guy told them not to ship to Wyoming, but I convinced them you meant that to be "For anyone but me". :p

20. Monte55

Mine are stock with stock props. My first has prop guards. It flies fine with guards but all the weight adds up. I may take them off because of weight. I have the Fatshark Predator V2 I use some times but not often. I have a drone mods tracker I like to use . I have the walkera G2D gimble with Gopro white. With bare phanton 1 and tracker, I can get about 12 minutes or so. No tracker but gimble and gopro..about 8-9 minutes. This is using stock 2200 ma batteries and average flying. I don't remember the time with video tx on. I never tried a full flight with it yet. I may try one of the 2700 ma batteries sometime. I hear people like them. When my new Phantom arrives, I'll have nine batteries so no hurry to buy more batteries right now. With a good battery, gopro and simple camera mount, I think I have some videos around 13-14 minutes.