Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

The New Dream - true bird-like flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wind_Shear, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Wind_Shear

Two GoPro's set up using the Dual (3D case, basically) in a 3-axis gimbal, streaming into an Oculus Rift with full head-controlled PTZ. Will require retractable landing gear, of course.

You'll have fully immersive visuals in 3D and be able to look around in almost any direction.

Anyone hear of anything similar yet? I guarantee you will in the next couple years.

2. IrishSights

3. CarlJ

I predict this will go over just as well as 3D television. I don't need anymore techno gadgets for my videos, I need to be more creative, and rely less on the technology and more on story telling.

4. pyrophantom

wobbly as buggery footage and all thats missing is a snorkel

:lol:

5. syotr

A pair of GoPros in the housing are very heavy. I have the earlier version for GoPro Hero 1. The camera lenses are too close together for much depth perception when shooting from any distance. Works fine from my kayak or whitewater raft but not for the quadcopter.
    There are a couple of new 3d FPV cameras being released. Do a search for Nerdcam 3d and Blackbird FPV. These work with several of the available 3d goggles but do not have head tracking. These cameras are very light. One has the ability to separate the cameras for greater interaxial distance.

6. Timtro

Another issue: Weight and balance - Center of Gravity vs Center of Lift.

The sensors and ESE's can compensate for some imbalance but not a lot, resulting in stability issues. The gimbals are set up for specific camera weights (see what it does with no camera mounted). I'm a strong supporter of 3-D but at the moment it's not a good idea for the small quadcopters, and results would be anything but "bird-like".

7. Wind_Shear

Guess I should have been Norwegian and born 20 years later.

With a good gimbal, i still think that would be awesome.

8. ProfessorStein

I'm not sure two GoPro's will get you there. But a specially-built camera with two lenses/sensors would... like syotr said. I actually haven't seen any of the 3D FPV's he's talking about, so I can't say... but I'd imagine it'd be much lighter and better balanced than two GoPro's.

I think I'll still wait for the holographic FPV system, though, that can actually show the 360 degree environment around me.

9. Cr8tive_leo

Lol, already being done for over a year now, even with two Mobius cameras. Not new at all.

Wouldn't want to fpv like that though, not with current technology.

10. thongbong

look for the transporter3D and how it work on http://emrlabs.com/
    I had the Oculus Rift dk1 and about to get the dk2 in a few weeks. And yes, I tried it, it was better than any FPV headset I've used but will be better with the DK2. The company just came out with a 720p camera that will transmit 720p with 2 video transmitters, much lighter than 2 gopros and better image quality. The Transporter3D works with headtracking also.

11. Wind_Shear

Perfect. Thank you, TB. That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Now to add stabilizing gimbal...I wonder if it would work with my Zenmuse, doubt it though. The Fatshark 3-axis lets you look around, but it'd need stabilization, preferably on 3-axes.

Thanks to all for the input.

12. thongbong

It will work with the zenmuse, but I believe you will negate the effects of head tracking. I had mine hooked up to the zenmuse with only 1 gopro, and no head tracking. You could use 2 gopros with 2 zenmuse, but you'll need a bigger bird to carry all that extra weight.

13. Egor_FPV3DCAM

3D FPV camera BlackBird on the Phantom 2, mount printed on a 3d printer. As the final version will be ready'll post here.
    [​IMG]

14. OI Photography

15. thongbong

16. OI Photography

17. thongbong

It should be interesting, I have a buddy that might get it soon. My Oculus Rift Dk2 is getting ready to ship. It will be very interesting to see where FPV is in the next 2 years.