How to validate your new Phantom 4P. What to test for.

That's a great list you got there!
Thank you. It's just sad that I felt compelled to publish this list of common flaws found in P4P. I'm in love with DJI products, but they have a serious problem with quality control, I think because they have no outgoing inspection or test process for each drone they manufacture. They are paying enormous amounts of money on warranty returns for simple things that could be caught at the factory if they would implement a series of outgoing tests and visual inspections (crooked gimbal for instance, easy to see, just turn on the drone!). This would help increase DJI's credibility with their customers, which erodes when people like me publish common flaws to look for when you buy. It's just sad. :(

Last edited:
I calibrate dual axis gimbal after calibration a normal position and stopped the gimble left side & after showing a gimbal motor overloaded how to fixed..... ????? And front LED red light not indicated??
And always showing a backward and obstacle sensors not working ???? Why???

I calibrate dual axis gimbal after calibration a normal position and stopped the gimble left side & after showing a gimbal motor overloaded how to fixed..... ????? And front LED red light not indicated??
I'm having a little trouble understanding your English grammar. I'm not clear on your issue, not enough detail, sorry. However if I'm interpreting things right, it sounds like you have multiple hardware problems that will require warranty repair. I recommend you return it to DJI, or if possible, where you bought it to get a replacement, assuming it's brand new.

And always showing a backward and obstacle sensors not working ???? Why???
Do you have the sensors enabled in the Go4 app? Or are you getting a dialog that states "sensors not working". You need to describe how the system is telling you the sensors aren't working.

I recommend you find another DJI owner in your area that can help you sort things out. The MEET UP section of this forum might help locate someone nearby. Usually experienced DJI owners are willing to help others that need guidance.

Have you read the manual cover to cover? That might help clarify the various settings and capabilities of the craft and Go4 app.

This message are showing in screen

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-07-22-28-33-209.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-09-07-22-28-33-209.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 343
This message are showing in screen
You need to read the manual. If you had read the manual you'd know that sensors don't work in the dark, just like your screen says.

Please read the manual cover to cover. This forum has little tolerance for pilots that don't read the manual before flying, because you can be a danger to the hobby. You will sometimes see the acronym RTFM with newbies who obviously haven't done their homework.

Reactions: Phil Derrick
But i have an one issue about gimbal calibration......... I auto calibrate the gimbal so gimbal was stopped is left at 68% and after showing aircraft status is gimbal motor overloaded.... So please give me a solution

But i have an one issue about gimbal calibration......... I auto calibrate the gimbal so gimbal was stopped is left at 68% and after showing aircraft status is gimbal motor overloaded.... So please give me a solution

In post #1 of this thread, point #5, gimbal calibration is key to the integrity of your drone. What you describe is a common issue that is typically a hardware problem. Gimbals are very sensitive devices, that's why you protect it with a gimbal lock during travel. If the gimbal won't finish calibration, you may have to return the craft to DJI for warranty repair. I suggest you contact them via web support and provide detailed explanation of your calibration process, and problems. That's what I always do. IMPORTANT.....Do not be brief with your explanation, provide complete details of every step, don't leave anything out. It's also helpful to provide a video of you calibrating the gimbal and show the problems in the Go4 app display, and how it hangs up. The more you can convince the reader you have a definite h/w problem, the more cooperative and quick DJI will be to replace the craft, or gimbal/camera. The goal is to MINIMIZE the communications back and forth, so you must anticipate all of their questions, hence using a video is helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ghost
In post #1 of this thread, point #5, gimbal calibration is key to the integrity of your drone. What you describe is a common issue that is typically a hardware problem. Gimbals are very sensitive devices, that's why you protect it with a gimbal lock during travel. If the gimbal won't finish calibration, you may have to return the craft to DJI for warranty repair. I suggest you contact them via web support and provide detailed explanation of your calibration process, and problems. That's what I always do. IMPORTANT.....Do not be brief with your explanation, provide complete details of every step, don't leave anything out. It's also helpful to provide a video of you calibrating the gimbal and show the problems in the Go4 app display, and how it hangs up. The more you can convince the reader you have a definite h/w problem, the more cooperative and quick DJI will be to replace the craft, or gimbal/camera. The goal is to MINIMIZE the communications back and forth, so you must anticipate all of their questions, hence using a video is helpful.

Hi John

Thanks for highlighting these known issues, certainly worth sharing this knowledge.
I just wish I knew about all this before I placed the order on the p4p, this information has put the wind up me a little and sort of regretting ordering it lol
Hopefully I receive a good one !
Don't really want to start my new hobby on the wrong foot

Hi John

Thanks for highlighting these known issues, certainly worth sharing this knowledge.
I just wish I knew about all this before I placed the order on the p4p, this information has put the wind up me a little and sort of regretting ordering it lol
Hopefully I receive a good one !
Don't really want to start my new hobby on the wrong foot
Hopefully you'll get a good one. These craft are so complex it's truly amazing what they can do when you get a good one. It's worth it, believe me, but sometimes DJI can try your patience, it can be annoying. That's why it's so important to buy from a company that will exchange the craft if you need to within say 30 days. I've had fairly good luck with quality when I bought both of my P3P craft, and my P4, no flaws. But with Mavic and P4P I had to return them to DJI shortly after I bought them due to flaws I discovered. The P4P is great, but so complex they can't seem to maintain quality, I think primarily from a lack of outgoing testing of each craft before shipping.

Hopefully you'll get a good one. These craft are so complex it's truly amazing what they can do when you get a good one. It's worth it, believe me, but sometimes DJI can try your patience, it can be annoying. That's why it's so important to buy from a company that will exchange the craft if you need to within say 30 days. I've had fairly good luck with quality when I bought both of my P3P craft, and my P4, no flaws. But with Mavic and P4P I had to return them to DJI shortly after I bought them due to flaws I discovered. The P4P is great, but so complex they can't seem to maintain quality, I think primarily from a lack of outgoing testing of each craft before shipping.

Fingers x then !

But I'll certainly be looking at it closely as per your advice

2. CAMERA RECORDING GLITCHES TO SD. This happens mostly when recording 4K video at 60FPS and 4096X2160 mode. It will occur about 15 to 20 times per flight. It appears to be the inability of the camera to write data to the SD card fast enough. It's not an SD card problem, as it does this with the finest and fastest cards on the market. When recording in 4K at 3840X2160 it's less of a problem at 60FPS or 30FPS. Many craft have this problem using 4096X2160, if yours don't, you're very lucky. I think this is a firmware problem that hasn't been resolved yet, so it may not be worth returning to exchange, since practically all of them do it. Recording 1080 at 60FPS also works OK, no problem, and it's easier for newbies to edit.
John, I've had the writing glitches, as well, but mine seem to all be brand/type related. You can't judge DJI compatibility by reading the specs, IMHO. It's been trial and error for me. So far, the best card I've found is this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G26R7M4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never had any issues with the PNY 64 listed above!

John, I've had the writing glitches, as well, but mine seem to all be brand/type related. You can't judge DJI compatibility by reading the specs, IMHO. It's been trial and error for me. So far, the best card I've found is this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G26R7M4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never had any issues with the PNY 64 listed above!
That's interesting because that's a slower U1 card instead of U3. Are you sure that you're not using U3 type PHY cards like this one?

Are you talking specifically about glitches when recording video at 4096X2160, or in general? From my understanding recording 4096X2160 will produce glitches at any FPS, 24, 30 or 50, hence the suggestion to always record at 3840X2160, which it can handle with no glitches using a good SD card.

Last edited:
That's interesting because that's a slower U1 card instead of U3. Are you sure that you're not using U3 type PHY cards like this one?

Are you talking specifically about glitches when recording video at 4096X2160, or in general? From my understanding recording 4096X2160 will produce glitches at any FPS, 24, 30 or 50, hence the suggestion to always record at 3840X2160, which it can handle with no glitches using a good SD card.
4096x2160 at 60fps is no longer a supported setting on the P4P, although it is still selectable in the latest GO 4 app, on the most current FW. :cool: Use 3840x2160 at 60fps for glitch free 4K results.

Last edited:

In general. Here's my typical format, and a pic of the cards I prefer.

Attachments

• vidspecs1.jpg
    vidspecs1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 389
  • PNY1.jpg
    PNY1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 332
In general you should not see any glitches in video recordings, this only occurs when recording with P4P using 4096X2160 resolution. I also recommend using a U3 speed to mitigate any recording problems for higher resolutions.
I have found no difference when using the DJI recommended U3 speed cards: Sandisk Extreme Plus, Samsung Pro, Lexar 633x. All are glitch free in 3840x2160 60fps on the P4P.

Did anybody notice in the first screenshot it says “*** error”? I think he should sue DJI! Ha Ha! I never got that message and if I do, I’ll beat up that “intelligent flight battery!”

Reactions: loktite

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl