The DJI Bad Battery Registry

cokeaddict said:
Hey guys,
I saw a video of a Phantom battery that exploded in a workshop or a DJI retailer. It shows the people working there doing their thing and suddenly without warning the battery takes off and shooting fire as it launched itself onto the floor about 3 meters from where it was sitting.
I am wondering if anyone here has seen this video and if they can add a link to it for me please.
I am in the process of notifying government authorities about this danger to unsuspecting users. Not to have the batteries banned but to make people aware of the fact that they can explode prior to them buying the product. So that they know not to store them inside.
I believe it will come to a fatality of an innocent child before anyone asks DJI what they are doing about this.
I have 1 sitting outside on concrete floor which is bloated. It was flying for very short time when it went from 4 green lights to 1 flashing green but lost all control of the aircraft. Lucky for me It was just 2 meters off the ground and i managed to grab the leg before it headed skyward.
Battery is just 4 flights old, and yes stored at 50%as always.
Appreciate if someone has the link to that video
thanks.
This one ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s

Thanks for the videos guys, but let's get back on topic. This thread is a registry. If you're battery is bad, puffed out, has sagging voltage, don't use it, handle it safely and register it here like this example:

Stanza_guy said:
Battery no: 1
Cycles. 15 when the problem first started. About 19 now
Percent life: 94%
Auto land percent: 85
Auto land time: 1 minute
Puffing: none or very slight
Damage: none
Serial number:dj070014030133972
Round square: round.

Purchased in April, 2014.

I just uploaded the video flight log of my downed Phantom 2 Vision+ which suffered a battery failure after less than a year and around 40 flights.
I hope DJI are watching as this is the only thing stopping me getting another Phantom or Inspire.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYl4fZ1i6q8[/youtube]

That video sums up the problem perfectly. Did you lose it in the water? If not, details on the battery in question would be very helpful to the cause.

ianwood said:
That video sums up the problem perfectly. Did you lose it in the water? If not, details on the battery in question would be very helpful to the cause.
I did lose the bird (and battery) in the water however its twin (I got the 2 battery package) is a V1 Model 733496 and if I ever get it plugged into another Phantom then I can check its life cycle since they were alternated between flights.

The remaining battery life states 91%
the remaining life count is pretty useless being it dont matter if a battey is perfectly healthy or even if its completely toast the only thing the remaining life does is counts the charges with every 3 charges ticing 1% of the life in till the 300th charge then the battery bricks is self even if its in great condition and tells you that its time to buy a new battery. Not that there has ever been even one of djis battery's that ever lived long enough to ever see 300 full cycles that I am aware off.

But its sort of silly that they have it as just another way of counting the amount of charges being they already have that in the number of discharges number which will always correlate to the remaining life % as one % ticked off every 3 discharge cycles.

If you have a battery that was completely shot even on the first charge it would still try to tell you its its got 99% of its life remaining even if its gave up its ghost

Thanks for that, I thought the battery life was a calculation of original capacity vs current capacity.
I've seen someone saying that if your battery drops below 90% (5 second press) then it will probably show problems.
I would expect it to last more than 29 flights though.

d4ddyo said:
are we getting any feedback from DJI or is this a dead subject?

If you have bad batteries, you should follow the instructions in the first post.

Phantom 2 loses power and fall few meters
Message: Good morning friends , I am Vinicius from Brazil and have a Phantom 2. Lately on some flights have noticed that my phantom has undergone some " drops " during the flight. During the flight it just loses power and falls slowly a few feet (5 or 6 meters) and then stabilizes again and continues to fly . This has caused insecurity because if that happens on the water I lose my drone . I wonder what might be causing this problem and how to fix it . thank you very much.

Hughie said:
cokeaddict said:
Hey guys,
I saw a video of a Phantom battery that exploded in a workshop or a DJI retailer. It shows the people working there doing their thing and suddenly without warning the battery takes off and shooting fire as it launched itself onto the floor about 3 meters from where it was sitting.
I am wondering if anyone here has seen this video and if they can add a link to it for me please.
I am in the process of notifying government authorities about this danger to unsuspecting users. Not to have the batteries banned but to make people aware of the fact that they can explode prior to them buying the product. So that they know not to store them inside.
I believe it will come to a fatality of an innocent child before anyone asks DJI what they are doing about this.
I have 1 sitting outside on concrete floor which is bloated. It was flying for very short time when it went from 4 green lights to 1 flashing green but lost all control of the aircraft. Lucky for me It was just 2 meters off the ground and i managed to grab the leg before it headed skyward.
Battery is just 4 flights old, and yes stored at 50%as always.
Appreciate if someone has the link to that video
thanks.
This one ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s

YEP THATS IT

Hi I'm new in here, but I have already battery from the box failed.here what's happen I got my new 3 batteries v2 square contacts.i open all boxes to push button to see are they have any charge and yes they have 2led green,I put one in my P2 turn on and all good I take batterie out and back into box,next day I took out from box put in my P2 and nothing no LEDs on .try charge no charge nothing battery dead with no reason.i try all thing from youtube I found nothing worked.that's what happen to me the rest two good.is any chance that new battery got wrong firmware pushed by assistant looks like I got bricked battery

Alright,
I have finally gotten fed up with my second round of DJI batteries.....
All three of the batteries listed below are actually warranty replacements from DJI, when they were not towing the company line 3 month warranty clause as they are now.

I don't have any data on the first three batteries other than #s 1 and 2 were purchased new when I bought the phantom in Feb 14. I bought #3 about two weeks later. DJI replaced 1&2 under warranty on 8/6/14 and then #3 on 11/25/14( Notice all of them are out of the warranty period).

So, All of the replacement batteries have now hit the secret crap out point..... Details below...
Phantom is set for low batt at 30%, Auto land at 15%. I am still flying 1.08, rather deal with the j-hook than everything else.

Battery # 4
Cycles- 51
% of Life - 83
Autoland- 31%
Autoland Time- 9 min approx
Puffing- slight
Damage- None
Serial # 14670
Round Contacts
Low Battery Warning- 32% 10.8v
Autoland- 31% 10.8v

Battery # 5
Cycles - 53
% of Life - 83%
Autoland Time - 9 min approx
Puffing- None
Damage- None
Serial # 29308
Round Contacts
Low Battery Warning- 28% 10.8v
Autoland- 28% 10.8v

Battery # 6
Cycles- 23
% of Life- 93
Autoland Time- 14 min Approx
Puffing- none
Damage- None
Serial # 2504
Square contacts
Low Battery Warning- 29% 10.8v
Autoland- 25% 10.7v

The worst/best part.... I bought a Nuke Rc battery(remember that flash in the pan) and it is actually out preforming the DJI batteries. Battery Warn @ 30% 11v and auto land @ 15% 10.9v.

I also have sent a dead DJI battery that I acquired to a business associate, who owns a RC battery manufacturing company. He is going to preform a DJI batteryectomy and see if he can re-power these things cost effectively. I will keep everyone posted.

Reactions: TeamYankee
Interesting. The batteryectomy is something we sorely need. I've got three door stops so far. Make that fire hazard door stops! :eek:

How many Nukes do you have? I've been considering the Limefuel but I'm waiting to see if they last several cycles.

Interesting. The batteryectomy is something we sorely need. I've got three door stops so far. Make that fire hazard door stops! :eek:

How many Nukes do you have? I've been considering the Limefuel but I'm waiting to see if they last several cycles.

I have a couple Nuke R.C. s , a couple Limefuel (6000) , and I just got one of the new AM 5400 batteries that I've flown a couple flights. I have toal confidence in all of my batteries. I have not connected to the Assistant with any of these batteries so I can only give a rough estimate on how many cycles or flights I've had on each, but I'd have to say somewhere around 75 -100 flights on each of the Nuke R.C batteries and they're holding up strong with minimal swelling. I've had those since last AUGUST. I run my batteries pretty hard and the Nukes still hold great charge. They run darrn near as good as they did the day that I got them. I've seen you on here for a minute and know that you're a smart dude. I'm pretty sure you'd do a few test runs before you went shooting around L.A. with a brand new battery clone plugged in. Order one and fly it around the yard or park for a few flights and get confident with it. You'll wish you hadn't waited. I tried to contact Nuke R.C. a while ago and never got through or an email response. I'm not sure if they're even still around. I'm trying out this AM Battery right now and so far it's working great. Have some faith and take the plunge. I don't think you'll be disappointed. If nothing else, you'll have a new doorstop for the garage as well. o_O

Battery No. 1
Cycles: 47
Percent life: 85%
Autoland %: 70
Autoland Time: 5
Puffing: None
Damage: None
Serial: 21163
Contacts: Round
Loader: 1.4.0.0
Firmware: 1.6.0.0

Battery No. 2
Cycles: 34
Percent life: 89%
Autoland %: 90
Autoland Time: 2
Serial: 21365
(This battery dropped to 0% of charge
while in flight, yet total voltage 12.225,
cell voltage 4.038/4.128/4.035)

Battery No. 3
Cycles: 39
Percent life: 87%
Autoland %: 80
Autoland Time: 5
Serial: 7851

These 1 year old batteries were pampered in a
Phantom 2NV version 1. Batteries cycled as per instructions.

Not sure if this is how I am supposed to post here but here goes.

Battery No.: 1
Cycles: 27
Percent life: 91%
Autoland percent: not sure
Autoland time:approx. 1 minute or less
Puffing: moderate
Serial No.: 932
Round/square contacts: square

Cycles: 27
Percent life: 91%
Autoland percent: not sure
Autoland time:approx. 1 minute or less
Puffing: moderate
Serial No.: 932
Round/square contacts: square

Cycles: 19
Percent life: 94%
Autoland percent: 30%
Autoland time: n/a
Puffing: none
Serial no: 13234
Round/square contacts: Square

Latest firmware.

Flew the P2 (stock) the other day.. after around 10 minutes flight the rear lgiths started blinking rapidly indicating a low power issue/RTH/Autoland..
Hit homelock and brought it back, hovered at head height infront of me for a minute, battery indicated 70% remaining (ish).
Landed and plugged into the PC.. bad battery alert.

The design spec is 5200mah the "Full charge" is showing 3770 mah - only 19 charge cycles. Cells appear fine (see my post on "Bad Battery" in the P2 help section)

It's under the 1 year warranty, just, it's on it's way back to Heliguy.com...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl