Taking the next step ( mods galore ) update 3/25/15!

hahaha I had the same problem with that plug. I didn't have a wifi connection and for the life of me couldn't figure it out. I was making sure the camera switch was in the right position then pushed on the plug and got one more click. haha
Yeah, I double checked the pics you sent. You have it connected pretty good.

I am still convinced it is the settings in the assistant... Here is a screenshot of my settings.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having same issues with mine, after trying everything i read in this thread i simply could not get the camera to connect when i had the gimbal hooked up, after finally hooking the original way everything was fine, i contacted neogl and they asked me to send a pic of my wiring which i did, then after a couple weeks i asked them what the next step is and they replied waiting on the supplier. i mentioned to them that i thought it was bad wiring harness and hoped they would have sent another one because i wanted to get this gimbal working, and i mentioned this thread and how i followed jdots recommendations , guess theres not much hope. the motors worked o.k. i put the settings in that are in the pic above but since i couldnt get the camera screen to connect i couldnt try moving the gimbal up or down to see if it would stabilize, it would be ok when it was sitting straight but when i picked up the phantom and moved it around to check stability it would start pointing straight down and would just bounce up and down. i explained all that to neogl but haven't heard anything for a couple weeks. i get nervous every time i have to pry the bushing out of the FC200 gimbal, worry about stripping it .

Yeah, I double checked the pics you sent. You have it connected pretty good.

I am still convinced it is the settings in the assistant... Here is a screenshot of my settings.

View attachment 20308
:eek: If I had my pitch set at 50 my gimbal would jump of me bird :D
Didn't realize the settings were so far apart from the RPG and this one !!

I've had it to 100 and to 5. completely unresponsive... Not sure if there is a fix for that our if I have to live with that. Same speed any setting...

I've had it to 100 and to 5. completely unresponsive... Not sure if there is a fix for that our if I have to live with that. Same speed any setting...
We have different gimbals so that's about right . 5 slows mine down just right ! ;)
Have never set it over 10 as that's what default was and was just to fast for me .
Might set it higher when in assistant again just to see what it does :eek:

Reactions: Intruder101
We have different gimbals so that's about right . 5 slows mine down just right ! ;)
Have never set it over 10 as that's what default was and was just to fast for me .
Might set it higher when in assistant again just to see what it does :eek:
Fling That thing right off the bird haha.
I expressed myself badly last post. Doesn't matter what I set the pitch, it always moves at the same speed. I tried some fixes but nothing helped. I'm trying to speed it up, actually.

All, (@jumper @mrbean @dirkclod

I had done some troubleshooting and here is what I came up with...

Today I went out and tried to re-create the problem. After a few flights and other attempts I couldn’t get my gimbal to do what yours does…

However, finally at the end of all this I was able to “arrest” the gimbal with my thumb, and voila, well, take a look here at the video I shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xDP5DOe6F4

The first 21 seconds are from the Phantom itself, the other 27 seconds are from the outside. Then there are two picture from the back of the roll motor. Make sure yours is about the same. The C clip is still there and the gimbal moves freely. It may be an internal part such as debris or maybe a damaged coil… Check the screws too. Maybe one is not all the way in or too tight.

Let me know if any of this helps...

Reactions: dirkclod
What I have will jump like that if you touch it or any of the cables are binding .
The debris very well could cause that ! Maybe use some compressed air and try blowing it out .

All, (@jumper @mrbean @dirkclod

I had done some troubleshooting and here is what I came up with...

Today I went out and tried to re-create the problem. After a few flights and other attempts I couldn’t get my gimbal to do what yours does…

However, finally at the end of all this I was able to “arrest” the gimbal with my thumb, and voila, well, take a look here at the video I shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xDP5DOe6F4

The first 21 seconds are from the Phantom itself, the other 27 seconds are from the outside. Then there are two picture from the back of the roll motor. Make sure yours is about the same. The C clip is still there and the gimbal moves freely. It may be an internal part such as debris or maybe a damaged coil… Check the screws too. Maybe one is not all the way in or too tight.

Let me know if any of this helps...

My gimbal would do that if it touched anything, or I 'arrested' it as you did Lee. Of course it started to do that as soon as I launched it. I took it off and went back to stock (mostly to rule out the Phantom and it flies well and it's responsive now. I had a good look at the motors nothing seems amiss so I guess it's something in the board or software.

That is probably the last step we'll have to take to get you going.

Here is a close up of the gap of gimbal and wiring:

View attachment 20188
Woah, that is some weird vibrations... I can tell the bottom of the frame isn't shaking as bad as the top. That tells me that it seems to be coming from the roll motor off the gimbal. Maybe.

Did you "plug and play" or did you have to change some wiring?

Also, the space you mention... If the two plates are touching, you are transfering vibrations from the bird to the gimbal. It is then countering. That could be the weird behaviour. Here is a picture of the space on my bird:View attachment 20187
Woah, that is some weird vibrations... I can tell the bottom of the frame isn't shaking as bad as the top. That tells me that it seems to be coming from the roll motor off the gimbal. Maybe.

Did you "plug and play" or did you have to change some wiring?

Also, the space you mention... If the two plates are touching, you are transfering vibrations from the bird to the gimbal. It is then countering. That could be the weird behaviour. Here is a picture of the space on my bird:View attachment 20187
I've tried three of theses gimbals with the same results. I noticed the cable out of the cam are color coded and assume yellow is video. Do you knoe if its 1 2 3 4 on the plug. I want to use my go pro if posable and still use the app

I've tried three of theses gimbals with the same results. I noticed the cable out of the cam are color coded and assume yellow is video. Do you knoe if its 1 2 3 4 on the plug. I want to use my go pro if posable and still use the app
Hi BCongero,

it should actually only be three wires. And it should connect to the yellow-ish. There is brown, orange, yellow-ish ;-) Here is a picture
image.jpg

I hope this clears things up?

Hi BCongero,

it should actually only be three wires. And it should connect to the yellow-ish. There is brown, orange, yellow-ish ;-) Here is a pictureView attachment 21166

I hope this clears things up?

Hey, thanks for the reply. From what I can tell that's the servo and pitch connector. The wire and connector I'm talking about is the banana conn to the cam. I noticed yours is not insulated and can see the colors and yellow is usually video.
What I'm trying to do is use the usb out of the go pro and somehow connect it to the banana plug so I can still use the app.

Finally had a chance to show you a video of what I am talking about. Note that I have followed the cryptic instructions that came with the gimbal and am flying in Naza mode and set the values they suggested to 0.

Finally had a chance to show you a video of what I am talking about. Note that I have followed the cryptic instructions that came with the gimbal and am flying in Naza mode and set the values they suggested to 0.
Hi Phil,

thanks for posting the video and pics. Even thou you started in another thread with your initial questions, it flagged it for me. I see your dilemma, the sedeway vibrations. I think that is what you are rferring to with the gitters?

I've started to notice that on my P2V as well lately. Take a look:

First I thought it was the new black dampeners that came with the gimbal. They seem stiffer and so I thought I will start there. On your bird I've noticed you have the old white dampers? Is that right? And if so, how are they dealing with the added weight?

Next, I blame the props. I did notice on my last video that one prop had some damage and most likely is unbalanced. After that flight I put on a new set and it got better, but not completely gone. I ordered a balancing rod to verify, but the first one that came is was not cut all the way, the props won't thread on,

image.jpg

the EBay seller is sending me a new rod. Hopefully that one is better and I can verify if my props are balanced good enough.

We'll get the rest of the Rat Pack over here to take a look ( @J Dot @msinger @dirkclod @Clampit @Squiddley @Glassman ).

It seems suttle and just enough to be annoying. I am working on my issye as well. When I get my balancer in and if that helped at all, I will post the results. And I'll keep looking.

Rat Pack o_O That makes me Daddy Rat :D Other than something being out of balance I have a different gimbal and can't tell ya
what that is caused by . I think J Dot had the same thing and he will see this. I will tell ya to drop those skid extenders ya got as I've used some like that. I got the Vision+ skids and there taller and I clear when the camera goes down at start up if yours does that to. Is less weight .

@Intruder101 .....Why wait on that rod balancer.jpg I have the Du-Bro and the Rod and the glass and that handle works just as well ! Have balanced on one and checked it on the other and they were the same several times . Just a thought bro !

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
Rat Pack o_O That makes me Daddy Rat :D Other than something being out of balance I have a different gimbal and can't tell ya
what that is caused by . I think J Dot had the same thing and he will see this. I will tell ya to drop those skid extenders ya got as I've used some like that. I got the Vision+ skids and there taller and I clear when the camera goes down at start up if yours does that to. Is less weight .

@Intruder101 .....Why wait on that rod View attachment 23676 I have the Du-Bro and the Rod and the glass and that handle works just as well ! Have balanced on one and checked it on the other and they were the same several times . Just a thought bro !

To be honest, I don't have an exacto knife... hahaha.

To be honest, I don't have an exacto knife... hahaha.
Well wish I hadn't seen one years ago! The kit has 3 of em and one has a red handle with a big blade. Was cutting some
fiber board across the gran and when I got to the grain I didn't stop with the pressure and stabbed myself above my thumb :eek:The red mark is where it went in and the black lines is where they did surgery to put that tendon back together I cut in to ! Duh
cut.jpg The little one is the right size though to fit inside the prop to balance with .:D

Hi Phil,

thanks for posting the video and pics. Even thou you started in another thread with your initial questions, it flagged it for me. I see your dilemma, the sedeway vibrations. I think that is what you are rferring to with the gitters?

I've started to notice that on my P2V as well lately. Take a look:

First I thought it was the new black dampeners that came with the gimbal. They seem stiffer and so I thought I will start there. On your bird I've noticed you have the old white dampers? Is that right? And if so, how are they dealing with the added weight?

Next, I blame the props. I did notice on my last video that one prop had some damage and most likely is unbalanced. After that flight I put on a new set and it got better, but not completely gone. I ordered a balancing rod to verify, but the first one that came is was not cut all the way, the props won't thread on,

View attachment 23674

the EBay seller is sending me a new rod. Hopefully that one is better and I can verify if my props are balanced good enough.

We'll get the rest of the Rat Pack over here to take a look ( @J Dot @msinger @dirkclod @Clampit @Squiddley @Glassman ).

It seems suttle and just enough to be annoying. I am working on my issye as well. When I get my balancer in and if that helped at all, I will post the results. And I'll keep looking.

You are correct, I am using the stock white dampers, perhaps I will switch to the ones that came with the gimbal and see if the helps. As for the extra weight, they don't seem to have an issue with that. I will say though that whatever is causing this seems to be related to the gimbal controller as I have observed just hovering, I can clearly see the gimbal jitter ("slight irregular movement, variation, or unsteadiness, especially in an electrical signal or electronic device") even though the aircraft is in a stable hover.

Side note, I had not been able to successfully do a compass calibration due to the gimbal going bonkers in the second step where you point the nose down. Then I realized I could disconnect the gimbal's power (leaving the camera connected) and was able to to the calibration. I had hoped that was the issue, but after flying yesterday afternoon, that was not the case as there was no change.

I was able to verify my props are balanced using a fiberglass rod I found that fits the inside of the prop perfectly, so that isn't the issue either.

I also tried to do some attitude mode flying rather than GPS thinking that would make a difference, again, no luck.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything, but I will say at this point, I am not optimistic.

@Intruder101 .....Why wait on that rod View attachment 23676 I have the Du-Bro and the Rod and the glass and that handle works just as well ! Have balanced on one and checked it on the other and they were the same several times . Just a thought bro !

Thanks for the input on the skids however, they only add about 20 grams of weight and didn't need to do any additional surgery to the aircraft. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl