Taking the next step ( mods galore ) update 3/25/15!

Just tried a new set of props and just as I assumed there was no difference in performance. I understand that I might not be troubleshooting as fast as you want me to but I put props on the back burner because everything was fine until I added the gimbal.
Well you can mark that off the list !! Now if it's not touching no where and the dampeners are fine I only see one thing left to do .
Take that sucker off and put ya old one back on and see if you can get another one jumber !!
I guess it's possible to get a dud when we get these thing's !

Just tried a new set of props and just as I assumed there was no difference in performance. I understand that I might not be troubleshooting as fast as you want me to but I put props on the back burner because everything was fine until I added the gimbal.
Nice try. Next maybe the old dampers? Two reasons: More space and softer material. Just make sure you have some sort of fail safe on the front of the gimbal. I have a cable zip tie losely on mine.

Reactions: dirkclod
Me neither.
The white dampers are thicker at the collar above the hole and won't let the upper CNC plate compress against the underbelly. At first blush, it would certainly seem they would dampen better

As I understand it, they dampen vibrations coming from the aircraft. In my case the gimbal/camera assembly is where the vibrations are happening. As soon as I launch, the gimbal starts to shutter and shake. If I bring the Phantom to my eye level and yaw it, I can clearly see the camera/gimbal combo wanting to leave the flying platform. Prior to lift off, I can feel the exact same movement if the gimbal droops down and touches the ground then it stutters and shakes in the exact same manner. It's like the motors are going nuts.

, I can feel the exact same movement if the gimbal droops down and touches the ground then it stutters and shakes in the exact same manner. It's like the motors are going nuts.

Crap. Then it is the roll motor. See if Neogl would respond and see if he would exchange it?

Crap. Then it is the roll motor. See if Neogl would respond and see if he would exchange it?

I think so as well, I'll dash off a note to him through the bay and see what he says. Thanks for holding my hand during this troubleshooting.

They are going to raze an elevator here in town in the next few days and I was looking forward to getting some 'steady' video of the operation. Oh well.

I think so as well, I'll dash off a note to him through the bay and see what he says. Thanks for holding my hand during this troubleshooting.

They are going to raze an elevator here in town in the next few days and I was looking forward to getting some 'steady' video of the operation. Oh well.
Try the dampers just for fun before you mail it back...

Logging off for the night. Keep us updated.

Reactions: dirkclod
I had to send my gimbal back to Neogl over a month ago and to this day they are claiming it hasn't arrived. So either they are full of crap or my gimbal is slowly travelling the globe and is on it's way back to me. I have a P3P now so I've been patient, but I don't really know what to think at this point 6 weeks and nothing.

The white dampers are thicker at the collar above the hole and won't let the upper CNC plate compress against the underbelly. At first blush, it would certainly seem they would dampen better

As I understand it, they dampen vibrations coming from the aircraft. In my case the gimbal/camera assembly is where the vibrations are happening. As soon as I launch, the gimbal starts to shutter and shake. If I bring the Phantom to my eye level and yaw it, I can clearly see the camera/gimbal combo wanting to leave the flying platform. Prior to lift off, I can feel the exact same movement if the gimbal droops down and touches the ground then it stutters and shakes in the exact same manner. It's like the motors are going nuts.
Hey Jumper, I am wondering if any of the wiring got swaped during installation. You didn't follow the instruction and disconnect/connect any of the single wires? And the yellow wire going to the birds wire harness is on the far left yellow wire(brown, orange, -->yellow<--)?

This is just too weird and it doesnt make sense foe the gibal to behave like that... And only in the air. Does it behave like that when the rotors are spinning but still on the ground? And how about some screenshots of your NAZA M settings? I would prefer to figure it out on our own, if nothing else just for bragging rights ;).

Hey Jumper, I am wondering if any of the wiring got swaped during installation. You didn't follow the instruction and disconnect/connect any of the single wires? And the yellow wire going to the birds wire harness is on the far left yellow wire(brown, orange, -->yellow<--)?

This is just too weird and it doesnt make sense foe the gibal to behave like that... And only in the air. Does it behave like that when the rotors are spinning but still on the ground? And how about some screenshots of your NAZA M settings? I would prefer to figure it out on our own, if nothing else just for bragging rights ;).
The wire connector will only go on one way so that is the way I connected it, the other red connector will also only go one way then the camera plug. Everything is seated well and I've checked the connections numerous times.

The gimbal/camera combo doesn't shake on the ground with the props going but starts as soon as I launch. At the end of the day it is still not right as it takes a long time to get the gimbal perfectly aligned before I can set the Phantom down for launch. Sometimes it is not level and if it touches the ground it starts to shake. I sent a note to the seller and he asked me for some photos of the install and a vid which I sent to him. Still waiting for a reply.

I had to send my gimbal back to Neogl over a month ago and to this day they are claiming it hasn't arrived. So either they are full of crap or my gimbal is slowly travelling the globe and is on it's way back to me. I have a P3P now so I've been patient, but I don't really know what to think at this point 6 weeks and nothing.
I feel your pain

****, that sucks to hear... Did you purchase it with PayPal? Can they do anything? The bad thing is that you can't get delivery confirmation to China... My gimbal works pretty well, that makes me feel even worse for recommending a product and getting others' bad feedback. Kind of guilty feeling, ya know?

You like the P3? If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of the barebone setup?

Again, sorry you have a bad experience. I and a few other have been lucky, I guess.

I do have paypal option.....but I've read of people that tried to ship to china and some people 6 months later their package showed back up on their porch with evidence of travelling around the globe to countries that are no where near the destination......Don't feel guilty....it's always a risk dealing with china vendors....I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about it at the moment.

The wire connector will only go on one way so that is the way I connected it, the other red connector will also only go one way then the camera plug. Everything is seated well and I've checked the connections numerous times.

The gimbal/camera combo doesn't shake on the ground with the props going but starts as soon as I launch. At the end of the day it is still not right as it takes a long time to get the gimbal perfectly aligned before I can set the Phantom down for launch. Sometimes it is not level and if it touches the ground it starts to shake. I sent a note to the seller and he asked me for some photos of the install and a vid which I sent to him. Still waiting for a reply.
Yeah, it sounds like the information from the main controller is getting to the phantom in a messed up way since the gimbal only feeds off of that unit. If the motor were bad it would do it all the time it's energized.

Could you try to pick it up and move with the rotors off or low idle? That would simulate the bird moving in the air.

Intruder: you can't feel bad for endorsing a product that you are satisfied with as it is still buyer beware, and it is not your fault. I knew, and others do as well, that I was taking a chance going in and I'm ok with that. A hundred bucks and fast free shipping was fine with me.

Update from the seller:
I sent him photos and vid now he says he is sending them off to the supplier, which doesn't make me feel good. hahaha. Time will tell I guess.

Lou: was your gimbal a failure or you just didn't like it?

Yeah, it sounds like the information from the main controller is getting to the phantom in a messed up way since the gimbal only feeds off of that unit. If the motor were bad it would do it all the time it's energized.

Could you try to pick it up and move with the rotors off or low idle? That would simulate the bird moving in the air.

If I pick up the Phantom with it powered up the gimbal acts as one would expect albeit slow and wonky. That is to say if I move the Phantom to a tilt or pitch forward the camera will eventually 'catch up' so to speak. It's not idea but if it didn't shake so bad it would be usable. Having said that, if I put the Phantom down, the camera will still go down sometimes then 'stutter' when the plate touches the ground and I have to nudge it with the thumbwheel.

I'm glad you, and others, have managed to get the unit to work and I'm accepting that I might have a dud.

That is to say if I move the Phantom to a tilt or pitch forward the camera will eventually 'catch up' so to speak.
THAT right there is what I meant with the settings at 0, where you or dirk have the 20 in the roll and pitch. The installation instructions mention that in step 6 or 7. I wished you could get the windows version or I could take a look at the Mac version of the assistant.

It may be that the 20 for the roll is causing the flutter.

The stutter is what I get if I restrict the movement or like you said when it hits the ground...

THAT right there is what I meant with the settings at 0, where you or dirk have the 20 in the roll and pitch. The installation instructions mention that in step 6 or 7. I wished you could get the windows version or I could take a look at the Mac version of the assistant.

It may be that the 20 for the roll is causing the flutter.

The stutter is what I get if I restrict the movement or like you said when it hits the ground...
I tried it at 0 and it was the same.

If I pick up the Phantom with it powered up the gimbal acts as one would expect albeit slow and wonky. That is to say if I move the Phantom to a tilt or pitch forward the camera will eventually 'catch up' so to speak. It's not idea but if it didn't shake so bad it would be usable. Having said that, if I put the Phantom down, the camera will still go down sometimes then 'stutter' when the plate touches the ground and I have to nudge it with the thumbwheel.

I'm glad you, and others, have managed to get the unit to work and I'm accepting that I might have a dud.

Just one more thing: Could you humor me and make sure the white 3.5mm plug into the camera is FULLY in? I remember that I had it almost all the way in, there was a "last click" maybe 1 mm more it went in. It took a little force, not finger breaking but some more force that the DJI plug... I was absolutely sure it was fully seated, but it was not. And I don't remember what that caused, but it did something for me to remember that now.

Let me know. Thanks.

Just one more thing: Could you humor me and make sure the white 3.5mm plug into the camera is FULLY in? I remember that I had it almost all the way in, there was a "last click" maybe 1 mm more it went in. It took a little force, not finger breaking but some more force that the DJI plug... I was absolutely sure it was fully seated, but it was not. And I don't remember what that caused, but it did something for me to remember that now.

Let me know. Thanks.
hahaha I had the same problem with that plug. I didn't have a wifi connection and for the life of me couldn't figure it out. I was making sure the camera switch was in the right position then pushed on the plug and got one more click. haha

Reactions: Intruder101

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj