Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Tablet recommendations

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Ron Phillips, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Ron Phillips

I have been using my iPhone 6 with my p3 but just can't see the screen video feed very good. I am considering buying a tablet even a older model since it will only be used for my drone does anyone have any suggestions and why? Thanks Ron

2. Sinisalo

I always like to recommend the iPad Mini 4, it has the brightest and best looking tablet screen I have ever seen. I haven't even had to use my sun shade with it yet.

3. x11freak

From what I've read in other threads I'm going to get a Nvidia Shield K1... seems to work like a charm. Still not sure what method I'll use to mount it though (P3S)

4. Sinisalo

5. x11freak

Thnx Sinisalo, I've read that thread before... perhaps I'll use that method, all depends how easy I can order the items (from Belgium).

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

Ron Phillips, you can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here.

7. Ron Phillips

Thank y'all just joined the forum so I'm sure y'all have seen this question before.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

8. Russell Boate

I use an Acer Iconia One 7" tablet which was Cdn $88 so probably US $50. It works great and at that price I can afford to have one just for drone flying.

9. mammatus

To be clear: is this one compatible with the Phantom 3 Standard?

Acer 7" Iconia One 7 8GB Tablet (Wi-Fi, Black) NT.LBTAA.001

I'm looking to purchase a Phantom 3 standard this week, but I need to get a tablet as well and, at least for starters (recognizing some others may be more flashy), I'm looking to save a few $$ on the tablet I purchase to use with the P3.

10. msinger

Approved Vendor

11. buford

I posted a few days ago about my kindle fire, the hack I did to get google play, and how well its working. It was only 49$ on amazon, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I hesitate to recommend it though, due to the fact that you have to hack it and install google play on it. It was fine for me, I have time to waste on that kind of thing. But for some of you, it may not be the easiest choice.

12. mammatus

Fantastic -- thank you very much for the quick response. I'm going to order the tablet today.

Are there any options available to purchase an after-market mount that would attach to the back metal bracket on the transmitter (like this: FPV Carbon Fiber Transmitter Monitor Mount for Futaba/JR/Hitec 7-8'' LCD Support ) rather than requiring the drilling mod?

13. mammatus

Whoa - count me curious. Can I get a link to your post about how you hacked it?

14. msinger

Approved Vendor

Drilling is going to be the most stable option, but you could also get the Jellyfish tripod mount along with the Tarot or Rave Aerial bracket.

15. buford

I'm no good at posting links,
    I'm no good at posting links, but the name of the YT video is "new amazon fire tablet, how to get google play store, beginner walk through". There are countless videos on YT on this subject, but this one seemed to be the easiest for me, since the guy spoke pretty good English, talked slowly enough for me to understand, and wasn't 12. LOL

16. buford

If you end up going this direction, and have any problems, just post on here. I went through some weird processes doing it. Mostly I think when I got it all done, I had to turn off the fire and let it sit. I have no idea why, but when I turned it back on in an hour, it all worked. I had all the amazon apps, all the google apps, and most important,
    dji go worked.

17. jbe420

I have the iPad mini 2 bought it off eBay $200 wifi and AT&T it works fine

18. Sinisalo

I hesitate to recommend the iPad mini 2 because the screen is not very bright at all. That is why I had to get the iPad Mini 4

19. Shimien

49$ tablet works

20. buford

****, I was beginning to think everybody was apple crazy. I'm not. An apple is too expensive when I can buy 8 kindle fires for 1 apple.