Tablet for fpv

im confused by these posts too...

I bought a new ipad mini 2 wifi only today...

I havent unboxed my P3 or the ipad yet as waiting on the bloody app.

What is there to gain exactly by having GPS in your tablet, and should I be taking the ipad mini 2 back and getting a better ipad mini that has GPS? - If so which one?

Many thanks

im confused by these posts too...

I bought a new ipad mini 2 wifi only today...

I havent unboxed my P3 or the ipad yet as waiting on the bloody app.

What is there to gain exactly by having GPS in your tablet, and should I be taking the ipad mini 2 back and getting a better ipad mini that has GPS? - If so which one?

Many thanks

GPS on an ipad allows you to see the maps on the fly right then and there. You can change locations. If you don't have it, you can hook up to your wifi at home. Turn on the pilot app and cache all your maps. So go to the flight area in the map, zoom in on all areas you plan to fly and this will cache those maps. Go to another location on the map, cache those files where you plan to fly. Now, turn off wifi and use the app to make sure all your locations show up. Or put it into airplane mode.

GPS on an ipad allows you to see the maps on the fly right then and there. You can change locations. If you don't have it, you can hook up to your wifi at home. Turn on the pilot app and cache all your maps. So go to the flight area in the map, zoom in on all areas you plan to fly and this will cache those maps. Go to another location on the map, cache those files where you plan to fly. Now, turn off wifi and use the app to make sure all your locations show up. Or put it into airplane mode.

Thankyou, so, it would seem, that this is not essential and you can "get away with it" so to speak.

I've also seen that in the future there will be a "follow me" feature on the drone - meaning it will follow you around. That would be immense for sports filming - im assuming no GPS on the tablet doesn't affect this...?

Thankyou, so, it would seem, that this is not essential and you can "get away with it" so to speak.

I've also seen that in the future there will be a "follow me" feature on the drone - meaning it will follow you around. That would be immense for sports filming - im assuming no GPS on the tablet doesn't affect this...?
It would. The P3 doesn't have built in GPS in the remote like the inspire 1. It uses the tablet or cell phone. If you want follow me, use your cell phone. Your remote needs to communicate it's position on the map to the drone. This feature is not active yet, but should be and you will want to use a device with cell coverage.

If you have a WiFi only tablet, you can connect to the Internet from your phone using bluetooth, which uses much less power from your phone and is a lower strength signal unlikely to interfere with the P3 control channel.

For Android devices (settings example for Nexus devices):

To setup bluetooth tethering first link your tablet and phone together with bluetooth (Settings, Bluetooth). On the phone turn on bluetooth tethering (Settings, Wireless & Networks ... More, Tethering & portable hotspot, Bluetooth tethering). On the tablet goto Bluetooth devices, select the settings for the phone you are connecting to, and check the "Internet Access" box.

I should have my P3P by the weekend and I'l be testing with my Nexus 9 BT tethered to my Nexus 6. I'll also test with my Google Tango tablet, but that has a cellular data chip and connection.

I was also thinking of Nexus 7 2013. A bit smaller but bigger than the Samsung S3 I've been using with P2V+ for a year. If it works for the Inspire it should work great for the P3. But I noticed that they just discontinued that model a couple of days ago (4/25/2015) meaning a new version is about to come out? I hate buying gadgets that are obsolete from the get go. Maybe I'll hold on for now and just try it with my Nexus 10 when it arrives.
Will the Nexus 10 fit in the tablet holder? I also have this tablet and it rocks, but it is 7" tall, and I thought I read in a different post that the tablet holder only extends to 6.75". Lemme know once you get a chance to try it. Thanks!

Will the Nexus 10 fit in the tablet holder? I also have this tablet and it rocks, but it is 7" tall, and I thought I read in a different post that the tablet holder only extends to 6.75". Lemme know once you get a chance to try it. Thanks!
My galaxy tab s 8.4" fits nicely and there's easily 2 more inches vertically so you're good.

The mount extends to about 6.75 as you wrote (less is you figure in the pad depths)......
20150505_173807.jpg

Attachments

• 20150505_173753.jpg
    20150505_173753.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 400

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member