Tablet for fpv

Blade Strike, I'm looking at getting an anti-glare shield for my iPad Air after not being able to see the screen on the iPad being used to demo the P3 at all at my dealer last week. Saw on InspirePilots that you'd used the HoodiVision equipment, I just ordered the iPadHat Air. Are you happy with that solution?

Question - won't those larger tablets throw off the balance of the transmitter as it hangs from your neck? I only see one hole on the arm to connect the neck strap to...

I know the Air is light - I like my iPad Mini 2 w Retina Display: good size, light weight, sharp display, strong processor, but best, I already own it and just bought a sun shade.

Running the app alone, and running the app when flying are two different things.
It's a pretty low processor powered tablet, as to be expected at that price point.

With that said, if I had one, I would still be giving it a shot also.

Will definitely report back. Also, working for a mobile game developer, I have access to our QA department devices. 20 or so various devices I can test the app on and report back. Will do just that as time permits (flying drones around the office is actually something we typically do friday afternoons).

I have a ipad mini at this time for ver2. I see that it Is not mentioned for P3. Do you think my mini with wifi and data plan will work for P3?

Welcome to the forum!

Easiest way to find out is go to the app. store and find the DJI Pilot app and see if it loads.

It won't work with generation 1 mini iPad.

Reactions: Skipholiday
Question - won't those larger tablets throw off the balance of the transmitter as it hangs from your neck? I only see one hole on the arm to connect the neck strap to...

I like my iPad Mini 2 w Retina Display: good size, light weight, sharp display, strong processor, but best, I already own it and just bought a sun shade.
DITTO, going to try what I have, iPad Mini2 and a Shield, send back the one that doesn't make me happy :)

Reactions: Fplvert
Based on reading here I bought an Nvidia Shield (wifi) to use with my P3P that's coming. I am really not happy with it. Wifi stutters (both on 5 and 2.4Ghz) and the thing just has all kinds of lag and becomes unresponsive when running pretty much any app after a while. Doesn't recover from sleep very well. All in all it is a great disappointment compared to other tablets I own. I don't trust it for FPV. I've read online and others are having this problem too.

In contrast, I've had a Nexus 10 for over 2 years that is just great - no glitches at all. My old Kindle Fire worked great as does my old Ipad2. The new Nexus 9 is recommended by DJI though and is only a little more expensive than the Shield. I think I'll return the Shield and get a Nexus 9. Anyone else going with Nexus 9?

I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 open box for around $140 from Amazon to use as a monitor. The Shield looked really tempting but since this one is coming up on its first birthday, I am betting that Nvidia will be releasing a follow-up device that runs on the newer Tegra X1 platform within the next couple months. Buying a new Shield right now would probably result in disappointment very soon unless you only use it for flying.

With a 1080p screen, no manufacturer crapware bogging it down, and a quad core processor, the 2013 Nexus is probably the cheapest route to get more than enough power for the P3. This summer, when the next Shield Tablet is released, if that's tempting enough, I can always throw this tablet on ebay or craigslist, get a little money back, and pick up a new tablet.

With all that being said, I had hoped I wouldn't need a dedicated tablet any more after I bought a Surface Pro 3. It looks like iOS and Android tablets still win a few battles... Maybe one day there will be a native Windows 8.1 (or 10) DJI app (I realize I could run Pilot in an emulator but sadly the SP3 also lacks a GPS chip).

I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 open box for around $140 from Amazon to use as a monitor. The Shield looked really tempting but since this one is coming up on its first birthday, I am betting that Nvidia will be releasing a follow-up device that runs on the newer Tegra X1 platform within the next couple months. Buying a new Shield right now would probably result in disappointment very soon unless you only use it for flying.

With a 1080p screen, no manufacturer crapware bogging it down, and a quad core processor, the 2013 Nexus is probably the cheapest route to get more than enough power for the P3. This summer, when the next Shield Tablet is released, if that's tempting enough, I can always throw this tablet on ebay or craigslist, get a little money back, and pick up a new tablet.

With all that being said, I had hoped I wouldn't need a dedicated tablet any more after I bought a Surface Pro 3. It looks like iOS and Android tablets still win a few battles... Maybe one day there will be a native Windows 8.1 (or 10) DJI app (I realize I could run Pilot in an emulator but sadly the SP3 also lacks a GPS chip).

Use my nexus 7 2013 to fly my inspire 1 and p2. It does an awesome job! I did put on an anti glare screen protector. You are right about no bloat on these tablets. It makes a difference!

Reactions: davemex
I was also thinking of Nexus 7 2013. A bit smaller but bigger than the Samsung S3 I've been using with P2V+ for a year. If it works for the Inspire it should work great for the P3. But I noticed that they just discontinued that model a couple of days ago (4/25/2015) meaning a new version is about to come out? I hate buying gadgets that are obsolete from the get go. Maybe I'll hold on for now and just try it with my Nexus 10 when it arrives.

I was also thinking of Nexus 7 2013. A bit smaller but bigger than the Samsung S3 I've been using with P2V+ for a year. If it works for the Inspire it should work great for the P3. But I noticed that they just discontinued that model a couple of days ago (4/25/2015) meaning a new version is about to come out? I hate buying gadgets that are obsolete from the get go. Maybe I'll hold on for now and just try it with my Nexus 10 when it arrives.

I don't quite understand the discontinuation articles. It's a 2013 model. Hasn't it been off the Play store for a year now? It was replaced by the Nexus 9. Anyways, for the low price I paid for an open box model I have zero issues with it being replaced by a newer model if it still makes an excellent controller. As far as I'm concerned it's just a screen for the P3P. If something new does come out I can always sell this one and get it but I'd likely only do that if it had some killer feature not covered by my current array of gadgets.

I don't quite understand the discontinuation articles. It's a 2013 model. Hasn't it been off the Play store for a year now? It was replaced by the Nexus 9. Anyways, for the low price I paid for an open box model I have zero issues with it being replaced by a newer model if it still makes an excellent controller. As far as I'm concerned it's just a screen for the P3P. If something new does come out I can always sell this one and get it but I'd likely only do that if it had some killer feature not covered by my current array of gadgets.

Yep, I only use it to read or fly and besides 7 In is pretty big to hold with the remote IMO. Anything bigger is overkill to me.

image.jpg
This is probably an obvious question for most of you, but which iPad is pictured here? Air or mini?

Technically, that's not an Apple device (no buttons, cameras, the bezels are uneven and much smaller than iPad). It's a mockup to look like a generic tablet. But it most closely resembles an iPad Air.

Technically, that's not an Apple device (no buttons, cameras, the bezels are uneven and much smaller than iPad). It's a mockup to look like a generic tablet. But it most closely resembles an iPad Air.

Good catch. Clearly you were paying more attention than I was!

Use my nexus 7 2013 to fly my inspire 1 and p2. It does an awesome job! I did put on an anti glare screen protector. You are right about no bloat on these tablets. It makes a difference!
Does the Nexus 7 2013 load the latest version of Android? Is the latest version needed? Also, does it matter if I get the 16gb or 32gb version? Seems like the way to go without spending a lot. I see them for about 140 to 199 on Ebay..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik