Tablet for fpv

Has anyone done a comparison between different models/brands that would be suitable for the P3 because apparently my iPad is incompatible (to old)?

Has anyone done a comparison between different models/brands that would be suitable for the P3 because apparently my iPad is incompatible (to old)?
The original iPad is too old, the newer ones are fine.

All devices will suffer in direct sunlight. This is why a hoodi is a must. The only android device that comes close to the a7 ios devices is the shield. It is one of the select few that have an hdmi port as well

How does the shield perform in sunlight compared to the iPad ?
Last year I bought a tab s 8.4, indoors the display is great but outdoors its the same as my iPad mini (1st gen).

How does the shield perform in sunlight compared to the iPad ?
Last year I bought a tab s 8.4, indoors the display is great but outdoors its the same as my iPad mini (1st gen).

The sheild is very refelctive.

I was planning to use a phone or tablet I already have, but I just found a good deal on a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...onze/7796009.p?id=1219291425818&skuId=7796009

I would have preferred the model in white, but the refurbed one in white is $80 more (and the non-refurb one is $180 more).

The Tab S 8.4 has an AMOLED screen that is supposed to perform very well in the sun.

-- Roger

hello! thanks for the info, if it's cheap and it works better! Remains to be seen how FPV performs.
Greetings!
Well Greetings back at ya luciogaston !
Seems ya might have been overlooked
so let me Welcome ya to the forum :)
o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
Reactions: borgqueenx
Reactions: Fplvert
Just read that the screen brightness of the Shield isn't all that great outdoors, even with a shade. Can anyone confirm this please? I am in two minds whether or not to get a Shield or just continue to use my Note 3. Thanks

I was planning to use a phone or tablet I already have, but I just found a good deal on a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...onze/7796009.p?id=1219291425818&skuId=7796009

I would have preferred the model in white, but the refurbed one in white is $80 more (and the non-refurb one is $180 more).

The Tab S 8.4 has an AMOLED screen that is supposed to perform very well in the sun.

-- Roger
It's ok, though I am not convinced it's better than an iPad outdoors.
I have fitted a matte screen protector to reduce glare and you will need a hood if its sunny.

Last edited:
Can tell you from experience that the nexus 7 2013 is the best bang for the buck to fly with. Used it extensively with inspire 1 and p2

I am delighted to hear the Nexus 7 performs acceptably with the Inspire 1, a fact many would have been wondering about, no doubt.

I have used it with my P2V for many months and I think it is a great budget tablet, being small and relatively light with a bright screen that renders pin sharp images. Good to know.

Reactions: eseckinger
Well Greetings back at ya luciogaston !
Seems ya might have been overlooked
so let me Welcome ya to the forum :)
o_O
Hi! thank you very much for having me, I am learning a lot in the forum and hope in the future to make my contribution.
Thanks and happy flights!

It's ok, though I am not convinced it's better than an iPad outdoors.
I have fitted a matte screen protector to reduce glare and you will need a hood if its sunny.

I have been using a smartphone on my P2V that is not nearly as good in the sun as the Tab S should be and it hasn't been too much of a problem. So, while visibility in the sun was a consideration, it wasn't my only one.

Personally, I didn't want an Apple tablet and already have a larger Samsung tablet that I really like. And, at that price, the refurbished Galaxy Tab S was a pretty good deal on a tablet smaller and much faster than the one I have.

-- Roger

I have been using a smartphone on my P2V that is not nearly as good in the sun as the Tab S should be and it hasn't been too much of a problem. So, while visibility in the sun was a consideration, it wasn't my only one.

Personally, I didn't want an Apple tablet and already have a larger Samsung tablet that I really like. And, at that price, the refurbished Galaxy Tab S was a pretty good deal on a tablet smaller and much faster than the one I have.

-- Roger
I was comparing what I have both the iPad mini and tab s.
The screens are very similar outdoors and you do need a matte or anti glare shield fitted.

I was comparing what I have both the iPad mini and tab s.
The screens are very similar outdoors and you do need a matte or anti glare shield fitted.

Thanks. I'll look into glare shields for the tablet.

I was just looking online at sun shades for the Tab S, but I didn't find anything that I liked. I sometimes use a sun shade with my phone, but I don't like how it gets in the way of using the touch screen. Maybe that won't be a problem on a larger tablet.

-- Roger

Thanks. I'll look into glare shields for the tablet.

I was just looking online at sun shades for the Tab S, but I didn't find anything that I liked. I sometimes use a sun shade with my phone, but I don't like how it gets in the way of using the touch screen. Maybe that won't be a problem on a larger tablet.

-- Roger
Like in tablets types, there are lots of screen protectors out there, the good the ugly.
i used this one and it has not effect on the touch abilities.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iLLumiShiel...msung-Galaxy-Tab-S-8-4-SM-T700-/351107987901?

Just read that the screen brightness of the Shield isn't all that great outdoors, even with a shade. Can anyone confirm this please? I am in two minds whether or not to get a Shield or just continue to use my Note 3. Thanks
I have both a Shield and an iPad2 and the ipad is brighter (turn off auto and set it at max) I also had a Nexus 7 for my P2 and it worked great but still suffers from a lack of screen brightness outdoors. I have found that the iPad2 retina is quit good as long as you use a glare protector and a hood, but those are pretty much required for all tablets outdoors. For everyday flying I will use my iPhone 6+ as it is great in sunlight, and use it as a hot spot for my iPad when using it to fly. Will have to test and practice with all options to get the best results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4