Tablet choices - good screen

One is designed very easy, for elderly people and children

What makes that laughable is the fact that iPad is the #1 choice—almost the only choice—in industry, in higher education, in medical research, and in scientific enterprises. My guess is you're an elderly person who is stuck in the era when clunky and unreliable were the rule of the day.

I got two Samsung units: A 10.1" tablet (GT-P5210) that won't fit in the controller clamp (too wide) and a S6 Edge phone.

The S6 Edge phone works much better than the tablet with regards to stuttering in the video, but for whatever reason when it breaks up it is red. The tablet breaks up far more and is often green. Sometimes there is a hesitation between my touch-screen to the bird so I might have to try again once the stuttering stops.

Based on other recommendations on this forum, I tried out an Apple iPad Air 2 plus cellular. What a difference! Zero video breakup or stuttering and seems better battery life too. I really don't care for the iTunes part since I had Apple issues with their Passcode and needed to restore the system from scratch (Which took 14 hours too as the tablet 'sleeps' every 15 minutes if the download isn't done so I have to restart it to resume.). Then I got into an issue with Apple Wallet and the need for the bank and the slow as hell Apple online support that takes 5 days to respond to fix it at their end. Too much forcing of signing up for iThis and iThat too. I was about to drive over the **** thing coming from Windows and Android!

However, the Apple is far better on the video streaming to DJI Go app, and that streaming is what Apple focused on in the iPad plus the faster data "Lightning" cable set over the mini-USB and why they used it over the mini-USB (Other than it can be inserted upside down too, and has more pins and can take a heavier charging load.). No doubt there could be some hardware issues too on the transmission speed out of the mini-USB inside the Androids too. One of my mini-USB cables also shorts out the S6 Edge jack where it will reboot if I plug it in. Another cable's plug gets toasty hot on charging so I probably will burn up the jack or plug at some point with their 2.1 amp charger.

The DJI Go apps are also a bit different in the menu between the two systems. Could be some bad coding in the Android too over the Apple as to why the feed stutters and breaks up at times. If I were to guess, I'd say the tablet breaks up 30% of the time, the S6 Edge phone maybe 15%, and the iPad Air 2 + Cellular zero so far.

Mack

Hi guys,

This question is really aimed at those pilots that have tried several tablets on their Phantoms.

I have an P3 Advance and have just used my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 tablet. Screen was not too bad in the bright light, but there was definite stuttering in the video feed. I believe the problem is in the tablet processing.

So, am looking at getting a different tablet

I am looking for something with pretty good viewing in bright light (will use hood) and no stuttering.

Have bought an iPad mini 3 64gb cellular, but haven't tried it yet (bad weather)

Also looking at maybe going for a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 or an iPad Air 2.

So of these, which would be best? Or something else that will fit the bill?

After bright screen (main requirement) and no/minimal stuttering (secondary rewuirement)

TIA

Sent from my SM-T805Y using PhantomPilots mobile app
I have a Samsung TAB-S, I love it, fast processor hight resolution and no stuttering.

Jim Moody

I use my I phone as a hotspot solved the GPS issue
Using your iPhone as a hotspot will get you internet access and maps, but GPS data is not shared in this way. So if you are using a non-GPS iPad (wi-fi only) as your device attached to the remote control, and then using your iPhone as a hotspot to get internet, it is not the same as using your iPhone as the device attached to the RC. If you use the iPhone directly, you can have the A/C follow you as GPS data is passed the app. You can also reset the home location to your current location if you move, again, since the phone can pass GPS info to the app. In the other config though, you can not do those things.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That means paying more for the ipad with data capabilities, and having a data contract with your carrier, which you don't need with the android just to use the gps feature
Any BT paired external GPS solves the "no internal GPS issue" on WiFi only iPads. No cell service or data contract needed. GPS is always free. External GPS is also more accurate and can give you absolute altitude with a built in barometer. Real pilots depend upon them for accuracy.

I use my I phone as a hotspot solved the GPS issue
Hotspotting will not pull the GPS. It won't work for resetting the Home Point or Follow Me in DJI GO. Try it. You need to pair the iOS device with an external BT GPS device to have GPS on WiFi only iPads. No biggie. External BT GPS devices are available for as little as $100.

I don't know why people knock Android or Samsung. Often people don't compare like for like. Obviously an older tablet won't perform as well as a newer one.
I have used the Galaxy S5 and S7 edge - both perform perfectly. I have also used my brothers TAB S and again perfect.
OLED screens are definitely the way forward the quality is stunning.
IMHO though NO screen is anywhere near good enough in sunlight!
They can make screens that look awesome outdoors but then they look crap in the shop so nobody will buy them!
This isn't only about the tablet. The Andriod version of the DJI GO app is an entirely different program than the iOS version. They may look similar and have similar features, but they are not the same program. DJI standardized on the Air 2 originally, and everything Android was added later. It's not just a tablet choice but also a platform and program choice. You can't run the iOS version on Android, and can't run the Android version on iOS. If you want the manufacturer's first choice for optimal performance, go with iOS. If you don't mind some compromises, Android will also work, and may offer advantages over iOS in hardware features unavailable on iOS. It's a personal choice.

Hi guys,

This question is really aimed at those pilots that have tried several tablets on their Phantoms.

I have an P3 Advance and have just used my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 tablet. Screen was not too bad in the bright light, but there was definite stuttering in the video feed. I believe the problem is in the tablet processing.

I am looking for something with pretty good viewing in bright light (will use hood) and no stuttering.

Have bought an iPad mini 3 64gb cellular, but haven't tried it yet (bad weather)

After bright screen (main requirement) and no/minimal stuttering (secondary rewuirement)

TIA

Hi

I have ordered a nvidia K1 Shield 8" gaming tablet though I'm in a waiting list as they are as scarce as hens teeth, however the cost is £137.00 (UK) the processor is well quick but i'm being it as a full time UAS pilot swears by it, am using a iPad air 2 at the moment but don't want to break it ...again.

Look it up hope this helps

Ronnie

Reactions: Redrider
It also comes down to what you want to spend.Shield about 200, ipad pro about 550 and up I think
Bought a Best Buy Certified "open box" 128GB iPad Pro 9.7" online from BestBuy.com last weekend for $499 with full 12 month Apple warranty. Running perfectly! Certified Refurbished 64GB iPad Mini 4's were $289 the week before. You can still get great deals on current iPads!

If you want the manufacturer's first choice for optimal performance, go with iOS. If you don't mind some compromises, Android will also work, and may offer advantages over iOS in hardware features unavailable on iOS. It's a personal choice.
IMHO the primary reason iOS devices have a reputation for working better than Android is that there are no cheap, compromise iOS devices. There are slews of android phones and tabs with anemic performance specs that work fine for the average user for email and web browsing but are not up to an app like DJI Go. And of course many OPs have tried the cheap way, myself included.

There are very few Android devices classified as high performance game platforms because most of the good games are for iOS. But that kind of performance is required. I googled "high performance Android tablets" and below is what I found:

Google Pixel C - The ultimate but expensive. 10.2-inch LTPS LCD display. 64-bit 1.9GHz octa-core NVIDIA Tegra X1 processor.

Nexus 9 - 8.9" IPS LCD display. 64-bit 2.3GHz NVIDIA Tegra K1 processor.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 - 9.7" and 8" AMOLED display. 1.9Ghz octa-core Samsung Exynos 5433 processor.

NVIDIA Shield K1 Tab - 8" LCD display. 2.2GHz quad-core NVIDIA Tegra K1 processor.

Hi guys,

TIA

Hi Moby. By all means get the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" with the bright screen and the 8 core processor. I have over 158. miles on my P3P using Litchi and my Galaxy, I have 200 GB of memory. (64 internal and 128 GB plug in chip) When connected to my Windows laptop or my desktop both the internal and the external chip become hard drives to Windows. I can move files at will both ways. Wonderfully easy. The galaxy is using Marshmellow. Free upgrade from Lollypop. However both were really fast. Today I am flying my P3P as high as 13,300 feet above mean sea level - still below 400 feet above the ground!
Cheers,
Joe
KC7GHT

If you want the manufacturer's first choice for optimal performance, go with iOS.
Something I have always wondered about: If iOS is DJI's first choice why do they ship the P3 controllers with USB cables?
A high-end Android device will work just as well. There are just fewer choices.
Another reason for staying with Android is that not everyone is married to DJI. A 3D Robotics flight controller (APM, Pixhawk) paired with the Tower ground control app is a very powerful autonomous flight system. The Tower app is only offered for Android.

Last edited:
Something I have always wondered about: If iOS is DJI's first choice why do they ship the P3 controllers with USB cables?
A high-end Android device will work just as well. There are just fewer choices.
Another reason for staying with Android is that not everyone is married to DJI. A 3D Robotics flight controller (APM, Pixhawk) paired with the Tower ground control app is a very powerful autonomous flight system. The Tower app is only offered for Android.

Do you mean the cable that comes with the Phantom is for android and not a Apple product? Because they both plug into USB.
If that's the question you're asking I saw someone pose that question in another thread and I thought it was a great question:)And I wondered the same thing.
But it just hit me and I think I have the answer.The only thing I can come up with is{drumroll}
It's for plugging the Phantom into the computer to get the log files:pThe Phantom has a micro usb port so thats what the cables for.I guess they figure Apple users can afford to buy their own cable since Apple products are so **** expensive:D

Last edited:
All iPad Wifi-only models come without GPS. Required if you want to see where you are relative to the bird.

You can cache the maps for the place you will be flying in before you go out and while you have a WiFi connection. There are many people using iPads without GPS, i.e without cellular and doing it that way.

I have tried two Samsung Tablets. Neither is worth a crap for video. I am trying to stay on the android platform so I am thinking about the Nvadia K1 but they seem to be out of production. Fly Well My Friends

It can be bought on the Nvidia website for 199 USD including the controller and free shipping.
They also have the SHIELD PRO which is 299 USD and which has 500 GB.

Last edited:
I am new to drones but have used Ipad Air2 in the construction field, with some pretty aggressive heat, humidity at 99%, blowing sand, and sweat along with a casual run to get away from wild bores in central Florida.
I have used Samsung, which is a good product, but at the end of the day, Apple has the bulletproof model.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl