Tablet choices - good screen

Seems he must think that the tablet is what defines the video?

I have no idea. The good stuff is on the sd card, not your tablet, so who cares about the streamed video? This is not a cheap hobby, with most people having between $1-$2K invested, and some quite a bit more. The penny pinching that goes on with the tablet selection is rather short sighted, in my opinion. The bright, saturated screen on the Air2 is one of the best out there. Zero lag, no problems in the 100 degree Texas heat, great battery life. I think it's one of the best options available, bar none.

But regardless of your choice, I'm not gonna call belittle you on your choice. Choice is great. To each their own.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi guys,

This question is really aimed at those pilots that have tried several tablets on their Phantoms.

I have an P3 Advance and have just used my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 tablet. Screen was not too bad in the bright light, but there was definite stuttering in the video feed. I believe the problem is in the tablet processing.

So, am looking at getting a different tablet

I am looking for something with pretty good viewing in bright light (will use hood) and no stuttering.

Have bought an iPad mini 3 64gb cellular, but haven't tried it yet (bad weather)

Also looking at maybe going for a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 or an iPad Air 2.

So of these, which would be best? Or something else that will fit the bill?

After bright screen (main requirement) and no/minimal stuttering (secondary rewuirement)

TIA

Sent from my SM-T805Y using PhantomPilots mobile app
I have used several tablets and phones but for me the ipad air 2 beats the lot, excellent in bright conditions.

Just tried the iPad air 1 and while it wasn't terrible it wasn't as good as my iphone 6. I cached the maps but while flying it was not constantly on the screen. i did not know about the zooming in and out before hand so maybe I'll try again. I also lost my video and RC signal at about 2500' away where in the same area i have been 3500' out without a problem on the phone. The $10 a month IS for the data service after I buy the tablet outright. (adding a device to my existing family plan) . They also offer no money up front and you can pay $22 a month for the device (iPad mini 4 price) plus the $10 for service but you have to commit to 2 years and the device ends up costing almost double what i would pay buying it outright. Oh yeah and did i mention I kind of got (very nicely) asked to not fly the drone in my local park ;( but i don't want to hijack a thread so thats a conversation for somewhere else I guess.

Oh yeah - the red arrow on the map (right hand corner) that shows the AC orientation was way off but the compass in the left corner also showing direction was correct.

Almost forgot. I had a little bit of a hard time connecting to the ipad as well. Started everything up. No connection. Restated the app no connection. Shut everything down and started over. No connection. Reset the app again and it finally connected.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Android, Apple... can't we all just get along?

Apple-and-Android-in-love.png

What makes that laughable is the fact that iPad is the #1 choice—almost the only choice—in industry, in higher education, in medical research, and in scientific enterprises. My guess is you're an elderly person who is stuck in the era when clunky and unreliable were the rule of the day.

The fact is, IPads are found in those places due to marketing actions, like Apple donating them to all those places, and marketed to industry in bulk. No one ever said Apple was not king of marketing. Now if you want to give Apple it's due, it's not with the IPad, which is outdone by "many" other less expensive tablets, but with it's desktop where graphic artists find it preferable. IPad with wifi does not even have GPS.

@Davoud - "My guess is you're an elderly person who is stuck in the era when clunky and unreliable were the rule of the day."

Heyyyy that's not nice. I represent that statement! Seriously, age has nothing to do with choosing superior technology. Old codgers can read reviews too. Apple has pioneered some good stuff but their success is primarily due to genius marketing strategy. Witness the cult-like action of people camping out at the door of Apple stores when a new iPhone is released. But Apple is not always at the cutting edge of technology. Rumors are flying that Apple will release an iPhone using OLED display in 2017 and an iPad in 2018. Apple | OLED-Info - guess what you have to buy if you want a stunning OLED display now?
Nothing against Apple. I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro even though I'm a member of the group stuck in the era when....

Last edited:
Hi guys,

This question is really aimed at those pilots that have tried several tablets on their Phantoms.

I have an P3 Advance and have just used my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 tablet. Screen was not too bad in the bright light, but there was definite stuttering in the video feed. I believe the problem is in the tablet processing.

So, am looking at getting a different tablet

I am looking for something with pretty good viewing in bright light (will use hood) and no stuttering.

Have bought an iPad mini 3 64gb cellular, but haven't tried it yet (bad weather)

Also looking at maybe going for a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 or an iPad Air 2.

So of these, which would be best? Or something else that will fit the bill?

After bright screen (main requirement) and no/minimal stuttering (secondary rewuirement)

TIA

Sent from my SM-T805Y using PhantomPilots mobile app
I use a 2nd gen Nexus 7 and it pretty much sucks. Can't keep up and the display is not bright enough. Think of going back to my phone but I like a bigger screen for framing pics.

I use a 2nd gen Nexus 7 and it pretty much sucks. Can't keep up and the display is not bright enough. Think of going back to my phone but I like a bigger screen for framing pics.

Lol thats the problem with these questions about which tablets to use.I've seen numerous post saying how great the Nexus 7{2013}is.I've also read how great the Nvidia Shield is and then someone will say its not and so on and so on.For some reason some tablets work great for some people and not for others.I have an ipad mini 1st gen thats not supposed to work and doesnt work for some others that have tried it but works fine for me

This isn't only about the tablet. The Andriod version of the DJI GO app is an entirely different program than the iOS version. They may look similar and have similar features, but they are not the same program. DJI standardized on the Air 2 originally, and everything Android was added later. It's not just a tablet choice but also a platform and program choice. You can't run the iOS version on Android, and can't run the Android version on iOS. If you want the manufacturer's first choice for optimal performance, go with iOS. If you don't mind some compromises, Android will also work, and may offer advantages over iOS in hardware features unavailable on iOS. It's a personal choice.
I could not disagree more. Not that the point about IOS being the first platform, that is correct. I have and do use both daily, and besides the fact that IOS and Android are two totally different operating systems, the apps are the same. Furthermore, you are not looking at this timeline of development correctly. True IOS was the first, but Android was developed due to demand, and as has been the experience, the Android app upgrades first, then IOS...or has to date. Since the development of the android app is fresher, it is first to be updated. Sooner or later a Windows 10 app will appear and it will all be a moot point as to which tablet is best. There are no features that are available on the IOS app that are not available on the Android app, also the android users have the freedom of using Letchi...which is giving DJI Go a run for it's money......even tho it cost money. Please explain the compromises you refer to when using an android system. As I see it the GPS issue is evidence enough as to which is best. The app is software, the tablet is hardware, the device that marries to the most used app the best and uses "all" it's features well, will be king. That won't be decided until a Windows app is on market. In my humble opinion.

also the android users have the freedom of using Letchi...which is giving DJI Go a run for it's money......even tho it cost money. Please explain the compromises you refer to when using an android system. As I see it the GPS issue evidence enough as to which is best.

Not that Litchi isn't available in IOS though. I'll throw one other in for third party, in that Autopilot is the only product out there that will do altitude adjustments in Follow mode, and it depends on a barometer in the tablet to do so. Right there you're looking at iPad Pro/Air2/Mini4 to achieve. I think we're going to see as the capabilities increase in software, the need for a tablet that supports all those capabilities is also going to be equally important. Too many buy what works right now versus trying to buy higher into the tech curve to cover what's coming. Sometimes you have to self analyze "Where am I going with this hobby?" to determine what's best also.

Last edited:
Not that Litchi isn't available in IOS though. I'll throw one other in for third party, in that Autopilot is the only product out there that will do altitude adjustments in Follow mode, and it depends on a barometer in the tablet to do so. Right there you're looking at iPad Pro/Air2/Mini4 to achieve. I think we're going to see as the capabilities increase in software, the need for a tablet that supports all those capabilities is also going to be equally important. Too many buy what works right now versus trying to buy higher into the tech curve to cover what's coming. Sometimes you have to self analyze "Where am I going with this hobby?" to determine what's best also.
I agree, it won't be long before someone starts producing tablets specifically for UAV pilots. Even though I have several drones, don't crash anymore and have learned the basics, and intermediate skills to fly and not crash, I still feel like a newbie because somewhere everyday I learn something new in the hobby. I have devices that work well with my quads, so I will slow my roll and wait for the "better mousetrap" to come out before dishing out another $500. for a tablet that does not do "everything". My little 6.25 inch Samsung Mega is doing great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20