Tablet and phone will not connect to RC

I don't think DJI would ever "not" allow the RC to be updated via USB adapter. They would have to be separate from all signal devices because these signal devices (cell phones, pads, tablets) etc. and their companies have clearly different agenda's. One does not care about the other. I never saw anything where it said you cannot upgrade via USB adapter or micro SD. You can even update the RC via USB cable from the bird. Here's a link to refresh us.
The best of flights to you.

Can someone please chime in with the versions that eliminated USB updating of the RC so that we don't confuse anyone who reads this thread.
Thanks guys!
DJI did eliminate the USB adapter method to update the RC firmware starting at 1.5.
I believe 1.4 was the last version that allowed the USB adapter method. 1.4 was the version that introduced way-points, follow-me and POI (AKA Drifter).

Last edited:
I got my P3A in mid December, I did the next updates 1.5.3 and 1.6.4 both by downloads to the USB adapter. I think DJI may have said something to the effect You Can now upgrade via iPad or Cell. It would not make sense to close the door to the older method of upgrade. Suppose, your phone went haywire. Do you have to go out and buy another cell phone just to upgrade your p3a/p? Until someone can provide proof that it is eliminated, I refuse to believe it plus, I did it when the latest firmware came out via USB adapter using the video you say is outdated. Keep on Flying.

Unfortunately that video is outdated. It was posted in May back at a time when updating the RC via USB was still permitted. The option to update our RCs via USB was eliminated a couple of months ago, unless of course you haven't yet updated to the FW that stops it.

I dont recall which firmware it was that eliminated the option, though I think that @John Locke was correct and its 1.4 or later. I do know that one style of RC was changed before the other was changed. Now all styles require the RC update to be done via the app.

Can someone please chime in with the versions that eliminated USB updating of the RC so that we don't confuse anyone who reads this thread. @msinger do you recall off hand?

Thanks guys!

I disagree.

Actually I believe the RC via USB upgrade path was eliminated beginning with FW 1.3. My Advanced came with 1.3 & it would NOT allow upgrading the RC to 1.4 via USB. I wound up allowing the Go app to update it to 1.5 which works fine with 1.3/1.4 AC firmware.

DJI did eliminate the USB adapter method to update the RC firmware starting at 1.5.
I believe 1.4 was the last version that allowed the USB adapter method. 1.4 was the version that introduced way-points, follow-me and POI (AKA Drifter).

Are you sure the ability to
Actually I believe the RC via USB upgrade path was eliminated beginning with FW 1.3. My Advanced came with 1.3 & it would NOT allow upgrading the RC to 1.4 via USB. I wound up allowing the Go app to update it to 1.5 which works fine with 1.3/1.4 AC firmware.

Are you sure the ability to upgrade the RC via USB was eliminated? I don't follow the logic of eliminating the ability to manually upgrade via USB and relying solely on a internet upgrade.

I am almost certain I recall reading after a certain version of the controller FW it was Go App-only for updates. I know I tried several different USB sticks attempting to update from 1.3 to 1.4 FW without success. I then for ya-yas put the 1.5 BIN on the card & that wouldn't update the controller either. Only through the app was I able to update to 1.5.70 RC FW.

Are you sure the ability to

Are you sure the ability to upgrade the RC via USB was eliminated? I don't follow the logic of eliminating the ability to manually upgrade via USB and relying solely on a internet upgrade.

I am almost certain I recall reading after a certain version of the controller FW it was Go App-only for updates. I know I tried several different USB sticks attempting to update from 1.3 to 1.4 FW without success. I then for ya-yas put the 1.5 BIN on the card & that wouldn't update the controller either. Only through the app was I able to update to 1.5.70 RC FW.
Thanks sir. Your recollection is accurate. It's not even a question really, so I'm sort of surprised at this point that anyone thinks it's not true.

I checked back and the GL300B RC lost the ability first followed shortly after by the GL300A RC, so some owners lost the ability to update their RC via USB on slightly different FW/App versions than other owners.

I disagree.
It's of course your right to disagree. No worries. I respect your opinion.

Even though you disagree, it doesn't change the fact that the video from May is outdated for anyone who has updated to versions that have eliminated the update RC via USB option.

Note - My only goal here is to make sure we as a community are not posting info that a new pilot may read later and become confused or frustrated.

Cheers with respect sir!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and kirk2579
I disagree.
This is found on page 7 of the DJI instructions to upload RC firmware:

upload_2016-2-21_21-5-50.png

I think this case is closed.

If the OP didn't do his RC firmware upgrade through the DJI Go app, it's likely messed up, hence the communications is broke. If that's the case I suggest he load 1.3.2 firmware using the USB adapter, then use the Go app to update using the latest firmware package which the Go App will automatically load into the RC.

This is found on page 7 of the DJI instructions to upload RC firmware:

View attachment 44633

I think this case is closed.

If the OP didn't do his RC firmware upgrade through the DJI Go app, it's likely messed up, hence the communications is broke. If that's the case I suggest he load 1.3.2 firmware using the USB adapter, then use the Go app to update using the latest firmware package which the Go App will automatically load into the RC.

At least let me humble myself. I had to think long and hard about this. I had never really updated the RC, only the drone. It was done when I received it. I was mostly talking to the OP about the drone. So, I do recall upgrading the drone via USB which as I am getting from you guys that this is possible and the RC upgrade via USB is not. So, I thank you guys for your persistence and assistance in allowing me to think and learn. With Respect.

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel