STROBON Cree® LED Strobe Lights

Can you say that there is a significant enough difference in brightness to justify upgrading to the CREE?
I've only ever owned the Cree version. Here's a video that shows the difference:

It's hard to tell how much brighter the Cree version are in the video, but you can see they are brighter.

Here are the mounts a buddy made for me
20170507_185747.jpg 20170507_185820.jpg 20170507_185901.jpg 20170507_185908.jpg 20170507_190309.jpg 20170507_190320.jpg 20170507_193424.jpg 20170509_132244 crop.jpg

So- using these mounts it looks like the lights are pointed at 45° angle at each leg- and have you tested them at dusk/night to be sure it won't affect the camera?
It looks like it won't- but I'd like to know.
If I did this, I'd put red in front and white on rear.
Pretty cool...

Hi guys. I got my strobes last week this is where I placed them on the Phantom 3. I must say they are blinding. Here is my YouTube link to video of them

Johnsctt78- what kind of antenna is that? Can it be used with the P3 Pro? Or only a P4?

So- using these mounts it looks like the lights are pointed at 45° angle at each leg- and have you tested them at dusk/night to be sure it won't affect the camera?
Pretty cool...
I have the strobes on order, but I questioned another member as to where he found them and he said on eBay, so I just did some hunting for the rest of you.

Last edited:
These strobes are awesome - I've got two white ones for night commercial work. I've had them 2.5 miles away and still visible. So small and light and so bright.

I wanted to be able to easily take them off when I wasn't using them so the drone can stay as close to stock shape and weight as possible, so I attached them with Scotch Dual-Lock (should be available somewhere local too):

Amazon.com : Scotch Reclosable Fasteners, Clear, 1 x 3-Inches, 2 Sets (RF9730) : Scotch All Weather Fasteners : Office Products

It's stronger than velcro and doesn't lose grip over time.

I've never had trouble seeing the flash at night, but know that if you floor it and the props enter your FOV, you'll probably see them. When I'm filming for keeps, I tend to fly slower, and it's not been as issue. Surely positioning is important here; I've got one mounted on the very top next to the DJI decal and one on the bottom of the landing gear all the way toward the back. My intent here is for a strobe to always be visible in every direction while keeping the flashes away from the camera and the front landing gear which could reflect back on the camera. Another bonus is that when the strobon's not attached to the bottom, the aircraft still sits square on its four pads, so no complications with landing. These are a fantastic addition and SO cheap - absolutely no reason not to get them!

Received my one white and one green the other day. I absolutely love them and can't recommend enough!

Don't look right at 'em close up....they WILL temporarily blind you!

I'm going to mount them on my Polar Pro light frame with double lock tape. That way, I can remove as a total one-piece light unit. This will allow me to fly lighter, if I wish. Also, can charge both setups (cree strobes and Polar Pro) as a removed unit.

I'm thinking of mounting the white one at the center top of the Polar Pro frame, which would be right over the DJI insignia on top of the birdie.

The green one I'm thinking of mounting over the rear of one of the rear facing Polar Pro verticle light strips. This would block one of those LED lights in the strip, but what the heck, its a nice flat area.

Amazon.com: PolarPro DJI Phantom 3 LED Lights White/Red Headlight/Taillights: Camera & Photo

Edit:

Changed my mind.

The above would have made the CREE's permanent with the Polar Pro. Good in some ways, as mentioned above.

But I wanted the option to fly with the CREE's in the daytime, while removing the Polar Pro lights to reduce weight...should I choose.

I doublesticked the white light on the upper side of one of the rear arms, closest to the P3A top.

I doublesticked the green one to the side of the Marco Polo saddlebag.

CREE lights not attached to Polar Pro.

At least until my two light pods from Germany come in. Then I'll re-evaluate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarkington Studios
These strobes are awesome - I've got two white ones for night commercial work. I've had them 2.5 miles away and still visible. So small and light and so bright.

I wanted to be able to easily take them off when I wasn't using them so the drone can stay as close to stock shape and weight as possible, so I attached them with Scotch Dual-Lock (should be available somewhere local too):

Amazon.com : Scotch Reclosable Fasteners, Clear, 1 x 3-Inches, 2 Sets (RF9730) : Scotch All Weather Fasteners : Office Products

It's stronger than velcro and doesn't lose grip over time.

I've never had trouble seeing the flash at night, but know that if you floor it and the props enter your FOV, you'll probably see them. When I'm filming for keeps, I tend to fly slower, and it's not been as issue. Surely positioning is important here; I've got one mounted on the very top next to the DJI decal and one on the bottom of the landing gear all the way toward the back. My intent here is for a strobe to always be visible in every direction while keeping the flashes away from the camera and the front landing gear which could reflect back on the camera. Another bonus is that when the strobon's not attached to the bottom, the aircraft still sits square on its four pads, so no complications with landing. These are a fantastic addition and SO cheap - absolutely no reason not to get them!

These things are awesome, I used the scotch fasteners on them. I can see them in the daylight, even a few hundred feet in the air when my Phantom is hovering above me!

Sorry guys I've been busy filling shirt and graphic orders to work on the light holders. I promise I will get to them soon.

Reactions: DazzauksDad
Pretty cool...

They are pointed at a 45 in the pic. But they will point at any angle you point them. I am currently flying them in a full scale aircraft layout with red front left, green front right and white both rear.

However with lots of daylight air time, I think I will orient lights according to conditions. For instance, red is most visible to me with a completely clear blue sky. White seams more visible with clouds.

Those are not the links for my mounts.
20170509_132244 crop.jpg
They are made in Louisiana, America :cool:

Msinger, you may remember we traded a bunch of emails on the P4 charger lead caps a while back. You did a small redesign and sent me some more, which work great. I was trying to get you to print these Strobon holders. :D

Strobon Mount for DJI Phantom
A great link for Phantom Help BTW :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT