Space Needle drone strike.

I like how this thread got hijacked by talk about a dropped coin... LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Ron Davis
Whoever owns it might not have registered with the FAA, but I bet it has a serial number and that will be enough to trace it back to the owner from the sales transaction as most high ticket items are tracked by serial number in POS systems.. I wonder if this would be jail time or dollars - if considered an act of terrorism perhaps men in black suits would visit with a free ticket to Gitmo. Whoever it was is an idiot and I wish them the worst for the impact it will have on drone users..

Here's the full video.

From what I've read, the guy is trying to get it back from the police. Looks like they've made good use of his SD card. :)

Why aren't those guys wearing harness(es)??

I'm surprised that the seaplane base at the end of Lake Union isn't a restricted area in the GEO system.

It's a really poor choice of places to fly, there's new choppers, sightseeing helicopters and seaplanes in the vicinity on a regular basis.

Definitely was an Inspire ....

I'm surprised that the seaplane base at the end of Lake Union isn't a restricted area in the GEO system.

It's a really poor choice of places to fly, there's new choppers, sightseeing helicopters and seaplanes in the vicinity on a regular basis.

Yeah, you can see hundreds in the video....

Another report

Thursday, January 12, 2017 06:23PM
SEATTLE (KGO) --
The FAA is investigating a video that surfaced online showing a drone crashing into the Space Needle in Seattle.

Two workers were on the needle at the time of the crash, and were nearly hit.

The drones owner went looking for it after the crash, but security guards at the Space Needle had already handed it over to police.

The owner is now facing a $5,000 fine and nearly a year in jail for reckless endangerment.

I haven't check the airspace in that area, but I'll give my 2 cents on it after thinking about it today.....

Seaports & heliports don't really mean anything to a hobbiest or commercial pilot. Yes we need to be aware of our surroundings, but just because your next to a heliport doesn't mean you can't fly. All metropolitan areas are surrounded by heli ports, I mean there everywhere. If he was in the vicinity of an airport or restricted airspace, the drone would have not lifted off.

It's pretty clear to me from the video that the drone lost connection a decided to go home. If that was the case, I don't really see fault on the operator. Yes we could take necessary actions to prevent this, but this looks like a 100% accident with zero negligence involved. The cops need to give the drone back, and the FAA should have a lil sit down with the gent explaining thier safety concerns.

Look at the bottom line. The pilot was trying to get a shot by flying his drone legally. There was a mishap during the flight which resulted in complete loss of control, and finally a crash.
Then the local news happened and that's when it all went downhill..... Should of heard the comments from my coworkers after they seen this on the news........ The news is keeping the non droners in fear and steering some uneducated pilots wrong too... We all need to quit watching the news! It's easy, I started about 7 years ago and it really changed my life:)

I haven't check the airspace in that area, but I'll give my 2 cents on it after thinking about it today.....

Seaports & heliports don't really mean anything to a hobbiest or commercial pilot. Yes we need to be aware of our surroundings, but just because your next to a heliport doesn't mean you can't fly. All metropolitan areas are surrounded by heli ports, I mean there everywhere. If he was in the vicinity of an airport or restricted airspace, the drone would have not lifted off.

It's pretty clear to me from the video that the drone lost connection a decided to go home. If that was the case, I don't really see fault on the operator. Yes we could take necessary actions to prevent this, but this looks like a 100% accident with zero negligence involved. The cops need to give the drone back, and the FAA should have a lil sit down with the gent explaining thier safety concerns.

Look at the bottom line. The pilot was trying to get a shot by flying his drone legally. There was a mishap during the flight which resulted in complete loss of control, and finally a crash.
Then the local news happened and that's when it all went downhill..... Should of heard the comments from my coworkers after they seen this on the news........ The news is keeping the non droners in fear and steering some uneducated pilots wrong too... We all need to quit watching the news! It's easy, I started about 7 years ago and it really changed my life:)
Not sure if it's possible to avoid flying over people where he was, if he did fly over people then it would be illegal wouldn't it?

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not sure if it's possible to avoid flying over people where he was, if he did fly over people then it would be illegal wouldn't it?

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's not illegal so to speak. It's against the guidelines. The guidelines state not to fly over crowds of people, in the same sentence referring to stadiums. I feel it's totally possible to fly over a parking lot while obeying this guideline.

The needle is NOT legal... reason? For one, it's a historic landmark and park. Two, it's sitting right in the middle of several airports. One is at the Komo 4 News building otherwise known as Fisher Plaza. They land helicopters there all day for news purposes. Thirdly, there are tons of SeaPlanes fly right past the needle windows to land at Lake Union. I've been to the top of the needle hundreds of times. Seen tons of seaplanes flying by the windows.

Lastly, I know the guy who runs the entire property and attraction. They claim to have a disrupter to jam Drone Signals to keep them away from the Needle proper. He wouldn't tell me what or how, except to say they had been presented with something that would confuse the drone and make it land or turn back. I don't know if they ever did anything with it for sure. But anything is possible.

They told me all the time to fly my drone around the needle because they had been getting bombarded with them in the last two years. Everyone wants to film it

It's not illegal so to speak. It's against the guidelines. The guidelines state not to fly over crowds of people, in the same sentence referring to stadiums. I feel it's totally possible to fly over a parking lot while obeying this guideline.
No its not in the same sentence:
"
AA HomeUnmanned Aircraft SystemsGetting Started ▸ Fly for Fun
Fly for Fun

"You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely."
"Read and understand all safety guidelines"

"
Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements"
I think that in an FAA administrative hearing or a civil court of law the quoted material would make this flight (looks like controlled airspace on the B4ufly map AND there are almost always large groups of folks going in and out of the Needle) as well as workers who were endangered, that both administrative judges and benches judges would interpret this flight as NOT "always fly safely " based on the "Read and understand all safety guidelines" as posted. In my experience in various courts and administrative hearing in ground transportation, If I were the pilot I would be getting very good (expensive) legal representation. The real downside is Seattle's City Council is now looking at passing drone regulation with the intention of getting the FAA to issue stronger in city flight rules.

Last edited:
The needle is NOT legal... reason? For one, it's a historic landmark and park. Two, it's sitting right in the middle of several airports. One is at the Komo 4 News building otherwise known as Fisher Plaza. They land helicopters there all day for news purposes. Thirdly, there are tons of SeaPlanes fly right past the needle windows to land at Lake Union. I've been to the top of the needle hundreds of times. Seen tons of seaplanes flying by the windows.

Lastly, I know the guy who runs the entire property and attraction. They claim to have a disrupter to jam Drone Signals to keep them away from the Needle proper. He wouldn't tell me what or how, except to say they had been presented with something that would confuse the drone and make it land or turn back. I don't know if they ever did anything with it for sure. But anything is possible.

They told me all the time to fly my drone around the needle because they had been getting bombarded with them in the last two years. Everyone wants to film it

So reading a sectional chart, the space needle is in fact in class G airspace. Meaning it is 100% legal to fly there.

What does "historic landmark" have to do with flying drones?

If the space needle organization has any type of weapon which can disrupt flight of a drone, this needs to be reported to the authorities. Do you have any factual information or a contact number that can confirm this?

IMG_0828.JPG
"
Fly for Fun

"You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely."

"
Safety Guidelines
I think that in an FAA administrative hearing or a civil court of law the quoted material would make this flight (looks like controlled airspace on the B4ufly map AND there are almost always large groups of folks going in and out of the Needle) as well as workers who were endangered, that both administrative judges and benches judges would interpret this flight as NOT "always fly safely " based on the "Read and understand all safety guidelines" as posted. In my experience in various courts and administrative hearing in ground transportation, If I were the pilot I would be getting very good (expensive) legal representation. The real downside is Seattle's City Council is now looking at passing drone regulation with the intention of getting the FAA to issue stronger in city flight rules.

"
Fly for Fun

"
Safety Guidelines
I think that in an FAA administrative hearing or a civil court of law the quoted material would make this flight (looks like controlled airspace on the B4ufly map AND there are almost always large groups of folks going in and out of the Needle) as well as workers who were endangered, that both administrative judges and benches judges would interpret this flight as NOT "always fly safely " based on the "Read and understand all safety guidelines" as posted. In my experience in various courts and administrative hearing in ground transportation, If I were the pilot I would be getting very good (expensive) legal representation. The real downside is Seattle's City Council is now looking at passing drone regulation with the intention

Here's our registration card.....

First of all you guys have to realize a few things-

1. The Space Needle is Privately owned and operated by the Wright Family. They can do whatever they want, just like you can.
2. No I don't have factual anything. Just heard talk about it, or thinking about it, not sure. I doubt they would too... but I've heard local fliers having signal issues around the needle? Maybe just a coincidence?
3. The Space Needle Building, while being the ONLY privately owned Historic Landmark in the nation, is surrounded by City Parks; I.e. Seattle Center
4. There are laws that say specifically that flying in, around or over Seattle Center is prohibited as of June 2016.

I was staying at the Maxwell Hotel, and had my Mavic poised to do it. I really wanted to. But I kept having visions of something bad happening, and it crashing down on hundreds of people. People are everywhere at all times of the day. I used to have to drive my car into the loading dock and would always have to slowly avoid people! I am not a big "soapbox" drone guy and say do what you want. BUT, that inspire could have rolled off the edge and killed someone. It's not a "maybe" it's lethal at 600' in the air.

I was always aware of the Seaplanes and Heli's flying around. If you fly behind the needle it is easy to get in their way.

Lastly for the ones saying it's legal...
3fb83c48179e418a01ed1d050aaf2caf.jpg

By the way I assume this includes Gasworks park and many others. Seattle took a huge stand on Drones after some ding dong tried to fly through the "big wheel" on Alaskan Way!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl