Space Needle drone strike.

Be interesting to see if it was registered and had the handy dandy FAA number on it. [emoji33]
Given where they were flying I wouldn't bet that they were responsible enough to register. Kind of cool though that, along with a crashed drone, you also get a nice memory card to hand over to the authorities.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Banksy
Also interesting that he or she was flying above 400'. The Space Needle is 605' tall.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Technically, the FAA rule is 400' near or over a structure. So if the Needle is 605 feet tall, he could be legal up to 1,005 feet as long as he stays within 400 feet of it. There is a question similar to that about a radio tower inspection on the Part 107 test.

However, the problem may soon be solved as one WA rep is wanting to make flying a drone over anyone's property trespassing without their consent: (WA HB1049) WA - HB1049. This could make WA state the new Sweden and ban them outright unless over your own property. Same guy trying to keep drones 600 feet from whales too.

It looks to me like it was on a RTH mission but without obstinate avoidance - doesn't it? It was speeding up the whole time until it crashed...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JesterPhotog
It looks to me like it was on a RTH mission but without obstinate avoidance - doesn't it? It was speeding up the whole time until it crashed...

It does, doesn't it? Wonder if the operator was on the other side on the ground and flew around the backside, lost signal along with all the the Wi-Fi radio signals going on within the tower (Didn't Microsoft install some super speed Wi-Fi system in it a few years ago?) and caused it to go into RTH and fly into the tower at a pretty good speed?

Reactions: skyeboysteve

That was thought while viewing the clip.

The area beneath the Space Needle ALWAYS has lots of people milling about. If a coin dropped from that high it would probably kill someone let alone a UAV.

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

The odds are actually almost 0 that a coin would kill anyone dropped from that height.
operative word is "almost". If any incident was going to cause an injury of fatality, it would probably be some dip wad like this violating a whole bunch of rules and common sense concepts. just like the old saying, "it only takes one OH S&*%T to wipe out a thousand 'at ataboys'".

Yeah, a coin in a vacuum dropped from 100 ft would have a velocity of around 150 ft/sec/ Coins have lousy aerodynamics, so in air it would be a lot less- perhaps 100 fps (only around 70 MPH). Probably leave a good bruise and might put out an eye if you were really unlucky, but hardly a fatal blow.

operative word is "almost". If any incident was going to cause an injury of fatality, it would probably be some dip wad like this violating a whole bunch of rules and common sense concepts. just like the old saying, "it only takes one OH S&*%T to wipe out a thousand 'at ataboys'".

Naw.. the operative word is 0 in this case. It would be some great fluke of nature and physics. Never say never except when dropping a coin is my motto...

Reactions: Cactus Wren

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj