Sonar or Radar to avoid collusion with Trees..

Reaction score
I find it very difficult to estimate how close the vision+ is to trees for example because of the ultra wide angle lens when i use FPV.
Most times i cannot see the drone as its too small too far so i Rely 100% on FPV and was wandering if there is an add on module which would be self powered and send a signal to either the phantoms IMU or to the phones vision app to alert of eminent collusion and/or stop the drone or increase hight automatically.

That would be a neet trick wouldnt it?

Easy on solid objects - trees are much more difficult. Too many twigs and sticky out bits that no radar would ever cope with.
I do wonder how long before they have proximity sensors though. And ground following radar or a radar altimeter would be great. Or possibly a laser similar to the ones used in adaptive speed control on cars but pointing downwards.

Wibble said:
Easy on solid objects - trees are much more difficult. Too many twigs and sticky out bits that no radar would ever cope with.
I do wonder how long before they have proximity sensors though. And ground following radar or a radar altimeter would be great. Or possibly a laser similar to the ones used in adaptive speed control on cars but pointing downwards.

i hear you!

Can't be too hard. My car has a backup sensor and most cars have blind spot monitors. The only issue would be how much power it consumes. Probably not too bad. I bet newer models will have it sooner or later. Adding it on to an existing drone and modifying the software to work with it would be a challenge for sure.

Ya ever think about using your eyes and brain to avoid trees. It has worked for me for years. I guess they can make these so automated that you don't even need to be there. Just set it out on the ground and go back inside to watch tv.

rbhamilton said:
Can't be too hard. My car has a backup sensor and most cars have blind spot monitors. The only issue would be how much power it consumes. Probably not too bad. I bet newer models will have it sooner or later. Adding it on to an existing drone and modifying the software to work with it would be a challenge for sure.

of course you are correct.. its not a matter of power but integrating with the drone central nervous system..

but it could be an add on for the moment like the gps trackers and communicating via wifi band and to the vision app or other app.

Monte55 said:
Ya ever think about using your eyes and brain to avoid trees. It has worked for me for years. I guess they can make these so automated that you don't even need to be there. Just set it out on the ground and go back inside to watch tv.

the point is to get an nice fluid low level flight video result, there is no point flyting 100m up where you can't see anything and you dont get the 'speed' feeling. flying low just above the objects, like the sea, or trees, is dangerous but the result is amazing!

Lol I agree with that! However all the best videos use lots of editing. A collection of awesome clips joined together. You really do need to be watching the thing if you want to get close in like that.
I have a fast powerboat so when the weather improves I will be getting those shots over the sea when I am right on it's backside!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl