Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

btekcan said:
Hımmm thanks so much. Did you test distance with stock RX unit P2 ?
Not really....I went out to 1600M with stock remote-which is a mile. But then switched over to the 14SGH and went 2000+ M, and am able to turn 360 degree's, and still have video too!! But, I'm using an Helical antenna for that.

I don't think there is any range increase between stock remote or the Futaba. I only did like 6 flights with the stock remote before putting it in "storage".

ianwood said:
Remind me to post the v5 profile this weekend!

Hi Ian

Just that gentle reminder about v5 of your profile ;) Keen to see what you have done and how you've set it up.

btekcan said:

Haven't done long BVR flights in a while, but several months ago went 3.9km with 14SG and stock P2 receiver. Dozens of times over 2km, prior to FAA edict. ;) Then switched P2 to Futaba R7008SB receiver that comes with 14SG. Similar range. On any given day, 6's whether FPV starts to get snowy or Rx flirts RTH on you. Typically I would climb straight up to 100m, then gradually climb another 100m over first 500m horizontal, then hold 200m AGL until turnaround point. Fun stuff. Of course, with my 20/10 vision, I had eyeballs on the bird all the way out and back. Or so my attorney assures me.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
btekcan said:

Haven't done long BVR flights in a while, but several months ago went 3.9km with 14SG and stock P2 receiver. Dozens of times over 2km, prior to FAA edict. ;) Then switched P2 to Futaba R7008SB receiver that comes with 14SG. Similar range. On any given day, 6's whether FPV starts to get snowy or Rx flirts RTH on you. Typically I would climb straight up to 100m, then gradually climb another 100m over first 500m horizontal, then hold 200m AGL until turnaround point. Fun stuff. Of course, with my 20/10 vision, I had eyeballs on the bird all the way out and back. Or so my attorney assures me.

Kelly
What Edict? The FAA doesn't make Edicts-that's Congress' job :)
I typically don't go above 100M ever....but I can see why you could get the range your getting.
I always fly BVR...take-off climb and go forward in GPS mode, put Goggles on, and fly. I know the area I fly around intimately. I always take a zig-zag course out and back, so my take-off position is unknown to those that see the aircraft. I also don't fly over people.
I regularly stop at 2km....that's far enough for me, and really, I start running out of land and end up over our Lake if I go much further-or, I end up over "civilization"...another "no-go" for me.

So, to summarize; I don't believe the Futaba with or w/o receiver in the aircraft will increase your range. Nor do I think using the stock remote over the futaba will increase anything.
I would advise those doing long distance flights to start off with small distance of 500M first. Get used to the area you fly in, so you can look on your screen/goggles, and be able to instantly point your finger to exactly where the aircraft is, at all times.
Then go out to 1KM..then a bit further.
There's nothing like that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see "F/S Home" on the bottom left of your screen, and you move the remote, and nothing responds. You are at that point, completely out of control of the aircraft-not a good feeling. Keep toggling between GPS and Atti til you get RC signal back.
FS will disappear from the screen, once you have remote control back..but, "home" will still be displayed until you take the aircraft out of fail safe by switching from GPS to Atti..you can then switch back to GPS if you like and fly back.

btekcan said:
Still no any news about the v5 settings ?

No. The haters pissed off Ian and he's on vacation. I don't blame him either. He's done a bunch for the community and the way he got treated by some is no less than deplorable. I suggest you use v4 and patiently wait. No need to ask for it. If and when he updates this thread, it'll be here.

Diesel31 said:
btekcan said:
Still no any news about the v5 settings ?

No. The haters pissed off Ian and he's on vacation. I don't blame him either. He's done a bunch for the community and the way he got treated by some is no less than deplorable. I suggest you use v4 and patiently wait. No need to ask for it. If and when he updates this thread, it'll be here.
Which thread/forum did this happen in?

It had to do with his work on the Declination fix. There were some impatient people that felt it was unfair for him and the group working on it to have a beta version resolving the TBE.

Are there written instruction for the latest profile? I have a Mac so I'm having issues trying to get Ianwood's profile on my T8FG, but I can do it manually if I had directions...Thanks!

Diesel31 said:
I'm pretty sure I had to use my wife's PC as Futaba doesn't support Mac.
Yea, that.
Also-re-read the instructions. You need to down load a profile software from futaba. Plug your card into a card reader on your computer-that's assuming you already formatted the card in your remote, then with the futaba software, you need to "mount" the card.
Once that's done, click on the new profile, and drag it to position 5 on the list you see there. Then click un-mount and remove the card.
Load the card into the remote, turn it on, scroll through models-when you see Phantom 2, highlight, select Copy, then let it copy into memory. When that's done-remove the card and save it somewhere you can find it.
turn the remote back on, model select, select Phantom 2-load, then turn off the remote again. Turn it back on and you should have Phantom 2 as the default model.
Now-you may need to bind your Phantom 2 to the new profile/remote.

When that's all done-hook your P2 up to Naza-after you've done a hardware calibration in the remote-HW Calibration. And do a calibration in Naza. check all switch positions work correctly, etc.
And always make sure the yaw trim knob is in the center-listen for the beep.

Everything I wrote is basically from Page 1-it's all there.

Well I think I got it! Everything seems to check out. I had a lot of problems but that is my fault for not knowing PC's to well and for that matter the Futaba and P2 either. It finally sunk in though and I finished it and it tested well in the front yard. Now for a bigger test later when it cools down a bit. I think I just need to work on the gains a bit still to get it perfect. Below are 2 short video's I did a few weeks ago with the stock controller, pretty smooth but using the T8FG should make my filming even better with the yaw and tilt especially. Thank you for the profile!
https://vimeo.com/100586451
https://vimeo.com/101130704

Great looking profile. I searched this giant thread but didn't find out if there are any written instructions for setting up the slow moving gimbal. I don't have easy access to a Mac, plus I'd prefer to do it myself so that I have an understanding of what is happening and can then make adjustments. Anyone willing to offer instructions and screenshots of the values? Im fairly fami,air witht futaba and can handle DR and expo just fine, but how this works is making me scratch my head.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Found written instructions for something similar here:

http://itsreal3d.com/Tiltinstructions.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wan3tU-edRg

I was looking for the same thing but ended up figuring out how to do it based on the instructions on page one.

What I am wondering now is, has anybody who has done this experiencing more tail waggle than before? I have flown twice since the change and I seem to have more waggle. I do know it was breezy on my first test flight day and definitely windy on the test 2nd day. But it seems like more fishtailing than before. I don't know if it is from the Futaba, the GPS, or because it's in NAZA or all or none of the above. Any ideas anyone?

ianwood said:
Latest profile: T8FGS profile v4 for Phantom 2

Here is a profile for the T8FGS. It should get you off the ground (so to speak). As always, proceed at your own risk! Note, this profile is compatible with the Futaba 14SG transmitter as well (including the new version 4 firmware) but as I do not have a 14SG, I cannot test it. (Maybe someone can send me one!)
. . . .

!

Ian,

I'm close to buying either a T8FG(S??) or 14SG and I got referred to your above post to get a feeling for whats involved.

Since I'm flying a DJI V1.1.1 (and not a P2), I'm wondering how similar the setup would be with my model Phantom. Is there any way you could hit on the "major" differences (if any) to help me know if its possible and if so what any major differences would be?

It won't work with the Phantom 1 unless you un-install the current receiver in the aircraft and install a Futaba FAAST receiver.

The P2 receiver is different. It's already FAAST compliant and all you need to do is bind the 8FG or 14SG to the aircraft.

havasuphoto said:
It won't work with the Phantom 1 unless you un-install the current receiver in the aircraft and install a Futaba FAAST receiver.

The P2 receiver is different. It's already FAAST compliant and all you need to do is bind the 8FG or 14SG to the aircraft.

I believe that's incorrect... the V1.1.1 Rx is FAAST compliant and compatible with Futuba Tx's. It's one of the several reasons I originally bought the v111. The v111 really had so many enhancements that it was the ideal choice if you wanted to stay away from the "smart" battery (forced upon you) in later P2 Phantom models.

and also:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9761

OK-does it have a "bind" button on the receiver?
I had to install a futaba receiver into my P1.2(just before 1.1.1). I went with the FHSS Futaba T8J at the time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl