Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

MStacey said:
Is this the sort of thing you are referring to when you say snap Yaw Ian. P2 V3.04 ,H3-3D, Very Calm morning, Speed approx 5m/s. My hand is not on the left stick ( mode 2 flyer). I have checked batteries to ensure yaw motor has not been rubbing / catching

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/100484445[/vimeo]

Not really. I just made the term up to describe what I've seen in the H3-3D and the newer firmwares. Occasionally when you try to yaw very slowly, the Phantom will resist the yaw input for a second or so and then it will overcome it and unload the built up yaw too quickly.

ianwood said:
Occasionally when you try to yaw very slowly, the Phantom will resist the yaw input for a second or so and then it will overcome it and unload the built up yaw too quickly.

Here's my yaw response calibration. You can see that the intercept is very much not at the origin, meaning that the first part of any rudder control input does nothing at all. Very annoying.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 9.32.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 9.32.51 AM.png
    30 KB · Views: 560
Very interesting. Is that a function of NAZA?

Kelly

SJBrit said:
ianwood said:
Occasionally when you try to yaw very slowly, the Phantom will resist the yaw input for a second or so and then it will overcome it and unload the built up yaw too quickly.

Here's my yaw response calibration. You can see that the intercept is very much not at the origin, meaning that the first part of any rudder control input does nothing at all. Very annoying.

I've seen the same results with fine yaw trim control via LD. With very low inputs it will start to yaw and then go back as if it were correcting an uncommanded displacement. I suspect that the yaw gain setting might allow some control over that behavior, but I have not tried it yet.

This is slightly off-topic, but possibly of interest to some of you Futaba jocks. I just ordered the Eagle Tree Vector product, with temp sensor and true air speed sensor, for a motor glider that I am adding to the arsenal. One of the Eagle Tree tech guys said "why buy expensive Futaba receivers, when FrSky makes Futaba-compatible receivers that cost a lot less, have RSSI, and are very reliable". Long story short I am integrating the 14SG + FrSky TFR8SB + ETS Vector. Receiver is all of $40, and longer antennae are $2. Big difference versus Futaba equivalents.

Hoping to get RSSI on the OSD overlay coming back through FPV. Eagle Tree Vector also does telemetry back through the video overscan. It also has flight stabilization, RTH, and myriad other features. Someone out there will likely try it in place of NAZA, I predict, though that's not me.

Will post back in a few weeks on 14SG+TFR8SB if of interest to Futabans here. Though not sure how to get the RSSI feed back in a P2/iOSD world. Food for thought if Ian gets into the OSD business.

Kelly

ianwood said:
Played with the expos a little this weekend. Made them a little more responsive to match the 3.04 firmware (eliminates the snap yaw in 3.04). Also did some tweaking on the radial mode where you can simply turn the dial to get it to rotate around an object. Still need to work on the other shooting mode and haven't even looked at using the heli mode and swash mixes. Not sure the latter will be part of v5 unless there's a compelling reason. Unless we decide to cram something else in there, I can probably post up v5 this weekend.

I suspect Ian is busy but would love to see the V5 profile or perhaps you are tuning it to go with the next DJI release of software 3.5 ?

MStacey said:
ianwood said:
Played with the expos a little this weekend. Made them a little more responsive to match the 3.04 firmware (eliminates the snap yaw in 3.04). Also did some tweaking on the radial mode where you can simply turn the dial to get it to rotate around an object. Still need to work on the other shooting mode and haven't even looked at using the heli mode and swash mixes. Not sure the latter will be part of v5 unless there's a compelling reason. Unless we decide to cram something else in there, I can probably post up v5 this weekend.

I suspect Ian is busy but would love to see the V5 profile or perhaps you are tuning it to go with the next DJI release of software 3.5 ?

Distracted by the compass issue and getting my video done. I'll do some work on it and post it up this weekend.

This is my first post on this forum. I have been following this thread with particular interest as I have just purchased a Phantom 2 and a Futaba 14SG to go along with it. I can't wait to load this profile and fly my setup. Just wanted to say to ianwood and all the others who are taking the time to create and especially "share" their work, Thank you so very much for what you are doing! I wished that I had the ability to do this type of work too. Just hope I can load it without messing something up. Thank You again!

This is also my first post here and I will soon be going through my "initiation" with RC flying. I am an enthusiast photographer/videographer (but an industrial engineer by education and a finance guy by profession). When a close friend of mine decided to get into RC airplanes, it triggered my interest and after some long readings I could not resist the quadcopter route which seems like a match made in heaven: flying and photo/videography in one. It simply was irresistible. Went on to draw up a long list to configure a Phantom 2 + H3-3D based platform. This one discussion thread was so influential to me in terms of leveraging all the contributors' prior experiences in maximizing P2's performance e.g. both controller and FPV range, antenna types, placements and so much more. I have to admit Ian Wood's tremendous contribution to develop the programming for Futaba 8FG and his kindness to make it available for others is what really got me into this and it certainly cost me quite a bit as I bit the bullet and went ahead to order the Futaba 14SG (which I understand is compatible with Ian's programming). The "bird" will be delivered tomorrow and I will probably need some time to complete the assembly. I checked declination here in Cleveland and it appears to be about -8 degrees. If I understood it correctly, it is kind of borderline in terms of the likely impact on P2. I hope DJI will soon release the improved firmware.

By the way, I will be putting an ND filter on the GoPro Hero3+ hence balancing will be necessary. I saw Ian's solution which seems to help balance with minimal extra weight through leveraging momentum but I am afraid of winds during flying can create unpredictable and changing resistance hence leading to an unbalanced situation in the air. I found some self-adhesive counterweights on eBay that I want to try (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Counterweight-s ... OU:US:1120). As these will need to be put right on the camera holder/gimbal, there will be less momentum use hence will need higher weight but suspect it will be a robust solution. Has anyone tried these?

Uh.. I have bought a T14SG two weeks ago, opened it and removed the black cover which was mounted on the left switch (three screws). The T14SG left stick behaviour/feel now is exactly the same as the right stick behaviour/feel. I did not need any spares.

Howto:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpaOrs5Hdl0[/youtube]

btw: please remember to recalibrate the sticks as well as the DJI compass when done.

ianwood said:
Remind me to post the v5 profile this weekend!

We are waiting new profile 4 eyes, I hope it will be include throttle stick center parts also.

Regards

I feel just like a kid on Christmas morning wondering what Santa left me and then can't wait to go outside and play with it. Even at my age I still like that feeling! :D

btekcan said:
ianwood said:

We are waiting new profile 4 eyes, I hope it will be include throttle stick center parts also.

Regards
You can program that yourself easily-instructions for making the flat throttle curve are on page 1. I've done that on both my 14SGH and my T8J.

havasuphoto said:
btekcan said:
ianwood said:

Regards
You can program that yourself easily-instructions for making the flat throttle curve are on page 1. I've done that on both my 14SGH and my T8J.

Is this parts ? And are you happy with v4 with P2 ?

Not present in this profile is a flat spot in the throttle curve to help with the non-centering stick. If you have the non-centering stick and you want to keep it that way, you may want to program a small flat spot in the middle of the throttle curve so that when you put the stick close to center, the Phantom will hover as opposed to slowly descending or rising if you didn't center it perfectly. If you need this, go to MODEL MENU > THROTTLE CURVE and set these values:

No parts....you don't need a spring kit or self-centering throttle. Just program the curve and try it-once you get used to it, you'll forget about having a spring loaded throttle.
Yes, I'm using V4 with my P2, and it works just fine. I have a 14SGH

btekcan said:
Ah ok I have also spring kit. But I'm not sure v4 compatible or not
Yes-it's compatible.
And yes, I have H3-3D and no issues. Using white balls, 2 pieces of string instead of the plastic clips, and using ear plugs at the moment inside the dampers-but I don't think it's helping much. The white balls are fine by themselves.
Just realize that when you're flying over 20m/sec, you are going to get some micro bouncing-and there is no fix for that. You just need to fly slower.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing