Selling photos taken during flight - CAA UK

Very nice! Thank you so much! (I wasn't doubting you, I had heard that once or twice before, but I had also heard the opposite, so I wanted something solid that I could refer back to and you provided that very quickly!) :cool:

No worries, I am the same way...."trust but verify"

Reactions: GMayberry
The short answer to your query on what you need to do to sell your photos
1 take off
2 take a photo
3 find a buyer
4 take their money
5 spend your money on another quadcopter
End

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
The short answer to your query on what you need to do to sell your photos
1 take off
2 take a photo
3 find a buyer
4 take their money
5 spend your money on another quadcopter
End

To be fair, this thread was created to ask about UK law in respect of the CAA and flying drones. Your suggestion would break the law if you didn't have a Permission from the CAA. There will be lots of people doing as per your suggestion but there's the risk of a massive fine - not worth it for me, especially as running a business! I'm not here to rain on anybody's parade - just pointing out the facts.

UK

Im just replying with a light hearted tongue in cheek answer as im sure everyone will not do as i say (unlike myself who thinks the governing bodys just want to make more money by squeezing every last drop out of people who just want to fly, tske photos and have fun . There shouldnt be a TAX on fun so SELL SELL SELL [emoji106]

Straight from the FAA....

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2015/Williams-AFS-80 - (2015) legal interpretation.pdf

I copied and pasted from the pdf the below, it messed up some words....

Whether an individual taking pictures or videos or gathering other infmmation using a model aircraft under the section 336 carve-out could later sell those pictures, videos, or other information would depend on the person's original intentions in conducting the operation. Ifthe individual's takes the pictures or videos or gathers other information as part of a hobby or recreational activity, then a later decision to sell some or all of those pictures, videos, or other information would not change the character of the operation as part of a hobby or recreational activity that falls within the section 336 carve-out for model aircraft. No FAA authorization for that operation would be required.

This is crazy. How can anyone prove that you were planning to sell the images before they were taken? Surely this is a massive gap in the law? If I am planning to take some photo's of a particular area this weekend. And next weekend I decide to advertise them for sale, thats legal?

FAA is USA & I would have thought that you would still need the required license to sell not that you weren't planning to sell.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl