Selling photos taken during flight - CAA UK

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a leisure Phantom 3 Pro flier, I'm careful to follow the rules etc and enjoy taking photos and videos whilst in flight.

I've got quite a collection of photos now, some great shots of castles (taken from safe, legal distances) but as a none commercial user without CAA approval am I right in thinking it's illegal for me to sell these photos?

I've taken a look at the CAA's info page multiple times (Unmanned Aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority) but it doesn't seem all that clear in what I'd need to do in order to be able to sell my photos? and currently I can't afford to spend £1.5k on lessons, etc...

Links, guidance for photography with suav's would be very welcome!

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm a leisure Phantom 3 Pro flier, I'm careful to follow the rules etc and enjoy taking photos and videos whilst in flight.

I've got quite a collection of photos now, some great shots of castles (taken from safe, legal distances) but as a none commercial user without CAA approval am I right in thinking it's illegal for me to sell these photos?

I've taken a look at the CAA's info page multiple times (Unmanned Aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority) but it doesn't seem all that clear in what I'd need to do in order to be able to sell my photos?

well you could always do what they do out here in Spain, you don't charge for the photos but for the editing, cropping etc

There are ways around payment ,,,, dont mention it to anyone or ask for cash " wink wink say no more "

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey all,

I've taken a look at the CAA's info page multiple times (Unmanned Aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority) but it doesn't seem all that clear in what I'd need to do in order to be able to sell my photos? and currently I can't afford to spend £1.5k on lessons, etc...

Hi. You absolutely cannot sell any imagery (photo or video) that has been taken using a UAV (drone) without a Permission for Aerial Work as granted by the CAA. There's absolutely no wriggle room on this - it's black and white.

UK

So can you get past per
Hi. You absolutely cannot sell any imagery (photo or video) that has been taken using a UAV (drone) without a Permission for Aerial Work as granted by the CAA. There's absolutely no wriggle room on this - it's black and white.

UK
So if you get permission (how?) can you sell past photos or just future ones?

Last edited:
You will need to get your PFAW (Permission for Aerial Work). There are loads of providers. Google 'RUSTA' - very good. Takes around 3 days for the core training sessions and exam, then you have to write a 40 page ops manual (or thereabouts - template provided) and then a half day flight exam. As for using past images, you can't because you weren't granted permission when you took them! But then if the images don't illustrate when they were shot, who'd know?; you'd have to ensure that the images don't show a disregard of CAA regulations (such as a shot that clearly shows you were above a road).

UK

In US you can sell anything you took while doing it as a hobby after the fact, as long as your intent was not to sell it beforehand....

UK
Party pooper [emoji3]

UK

so I've broken the (law/rule?) in the past, but to be quite honest I get as much pleasure giving aerial photos away taken with my phantom,if the receiver gives me a gift after ok but how about my other method of taking aerial photos, a very long (15 mts) extending pole with a camera on top, any (law/rule) on that?

Reactions: Grae
so I've broken the (law/rule?) in the past, but to be quite honest I get as much pleasure giving aerial photos away taken with my phantom,if the receiver gives me a gift after ok but how about my other method of taking aerial photos, a very long (15 mts) extending pole with a camera on top, any (law/rule) on that?

Sounds great to me. I fully agree! Don't know about poles - probably not! [emoji3]

UK

Hey all,

The short answer to your query on what you need to do to sell your photos
1 take off
2 take a photo
3 find a buyer
4 take their money
5 spend your money on another quadcopter
End

Reactions: teccer
Straight from the FAA....

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...iams-AFS-80 - (2015) legal interpretation.pdf

I copied and pasted from the pdf the below, it messed up some words....

Whether an individual taking pictures or videos or gathering other infmmation using a model aircraft under the section 336 carve-out could later sell those pictures, videos, or other information would depend on the person's original intentions in conducting the operation. Ifthe individual's takes the pictures or videos or gathers other information as part of a hobby or recreational activity, then a later decision to sell some or all of those pictures, videos, or other information would not change the character of the operation as part of a hobby or recreational activity that falls within the section 336 carve-out for model aircraft. No FAA authorization for that operation would be required.

Reactions: henick
Very nice! Thank you so much! (I wasn't doubting you, I had heard that once or twice before, but I had also heard the opposite, so I wanted something solid that I could refer back to and you provided that very quickly!) :cool:

I have applied for a 333, and I know someone who has a pilots license, but he has no idea how to drive a WalMart r/c car, not to mention a Phantom! haha And legally... he would have to be the person-in-control if used commercially.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj