Screw inspection = very bad day

I used standard super glue by Loctite. So far so good but I'm curious about gorilla super glue.
I just bought some Loctite 5 minute epoxy, but i'm debating whether to use it or not. I don't want to void my warranty, but then again I don't really want to be without it for 6+ weeks.

I honestly don't see how gluing the shell could prevent the wobble on descent, but if it does, it does....

Got any close up pics of your glue job?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not so crazy about epoxy because I think it would make too much of a mess and it's viscosity wouldn't allow for it to get into the seams as easily as super glue or the gorilla impact super glue. Super glue seems plenty strong enough. At least as strong for the seams as the original screws and probably more. How does it stop or at least reduce the wobble? By keeping the motors and that part of the fuselage from twisting so much. The top being bonded to the bottom provides a lot more strength there. There isn't much of a mess to be seen on mine after gluing. At least not on mine unless I look very close.

20150630_091844.jpg

Last edited:
This is the only place where the super glue got a little messy. I waited too long, more than 8 seconds, before wiping the excess. After the super glue is dry, use a Mr Clean dry erase pad to buff out any mess or shiny area from the glue. It's the best thing I've found. Almost not aggressive enough but does the job.

20150630_092608.jpg

Well guys, guess what my replacement Phantom has now... More cracking!

You can bet that I've been watching for this after every flight... After 15 flights on this replacement P3P, it now is cracking on the two arms on the battery side around the same screws. I can't even begin to express how this makes me feel.

DJI, what are you going to do about this? I'm afraid that I will not be suggesting this product anymore to anyone until I see some action on your part to resolve this significant QC issue. Actions speak louder than words...

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsPapa

You can bet that I've been watching for this after every flight... After 15 flights on this replacement P3P, it now is cracking on the two arms on the battery side around the same screws. I can't even begin to express how this makes me feel.

DJI, what are you going to do about this? I'm afraid that I will not be suggesting this product anymore to anyone until I see some action on your part to resolve this significant QC issue. Actions speak louder than words...
So is this the one you glued or a new one?

This is a new unit that I purchased after sending the first one back to the seller for a refund.
So the one you sent back you glued the seems and they are gonna refund you?

As for the new one that sucks! Sorry about that

So the one you sent back you glued the seems and they are gonna refund you?

As for the new one that sucks! Sorry about that

I never glued it or even opened it. It was in the condition it was in when I found the cracks.

'Sucky' is far from how I would describe this.

Reactions: AbsPapa

Did you contact DJI? If so what did the say

Did you contact DJI? If so what did the say

I'm not interested in anything they will offer. I need it for business reasons and I cannot be without it right now. This is why I purchased a second one before even getting a refund for the first unit.

These cracks are very hard to see and are sometimes invisible until you gently twist the motor back and forth. I thought i had only one crack on one of the arms until I tried this technique while inspecting the rest of the holes.. That's when two more became visible.

I'm not interested in anything they will offer. I need it for business reasons and I cannot be without it right now. This is why I purchased a second one before even getting a refund for the first unit.

These cracks are very hard to see and are sometimes invisible until you gently twist the motor back and forth. I thought i had only one crack on one of the arms until I tried this technique while inspecting the rest of the holes.. That's when two more became visible.
Funny how @bladestrike said this is not an issue when apparently it is, and I'm sure not many are aware of it.
One really has to look at the shell and inspect to find them. They are there...

Silverstoned, why do you think I never sent mine in. Mind you, I have the highest respect for your patience to send it in. A patience I don't have. DJI, I honestly feel, has been in denial of this issue. An issue helped by a few factors. First is bad pilots who crash a lot and subsequently relegate any cracks to the post crash damage department. Then there are owners completely ignorant of the fact that their phantoms, be they two or three, are cracking without them knowing it. They crack period. And they crack fast. Overtightened screws aren't the issue as much as shells which are way too thin at too stressed a part. When it is this sensitive to over tightened screws, why aren't any over the inner screw holes cracking when they are screwed by the same assembler at the factory??? Because the phantom has thicker plastic inner screw holes that's why. There is NO solution other than either finally a proper redesign addressing thickness of material at arm ends, or super gluing the shell. There is nothing else. I love everything about phantoms, including the form factor which I love. But the quality of the shells and resistance to stress is more than lacking and people need to A, inspect their craft. B, speak up.

Possibly the plastic material they are using is inferior?

Possibly the plastic material they are using is inferior?

If it is, then the inferiority of the particular plastic in question never once showed a crack inward of the light locations on the P1, P2 or P3. I think it's more down to substandard thickness around the most highly stressed part of the craft which are the arms from the lights on out. The could have thickened the shells there after the P2 issues but just put in top to bottom clips to save the craft from an all out split from screw hole failure. But those clips aren't enough. Yes they would save the craft from a full split on one arm, maybe even mid flight, but don't do any help in keeping the bottom of the arm from twisting way past design range from loss of the top shell structure after a side by side, middle screw hole failure.

Silverstoned, why do you think I never sent mine in. Mind you, I have the highest respect for your patience to send it in. A patience I don't have. DJI, I honestly feel, has been in denial of this issue. An issue helped by a few factors. First is bad pilots who crash a lot and subsequently relegate any cracks to the post crash damage department. Then there are owners completely ignorant of the fact that their phantoms, be they two or three, are cracking without them knowing it. They crack period. And they crack fast. Overtightened screws aren't the issue as much as shells which are way too thin at too stressed a part. When it is this sensitive to over tightened screws, why aren't any over the inner screw holes cracking when they are screwed by the same assembler at the factory??? Because the phantom has thicker plastic inner screw holes that's why. There is NO solution other than either finally a proper redesign addressing thickness of material at arm ends, or super gluing the shell. There is nothing else. I love everything about phantoms, including the form factor which I love. But the quality of the shells and resistance to stress is more than lacking and people need to A, inspect their craft. B, speak up.
You shouldn't have to spend this much time explaining why your ship cracked. DJI knows about it. They should immediately respond to your issue. Not wait, but respond to your complaint. The fact that they don't should say something to you/us about their concern for their customers. C'mon DJI. Some of us are having problems. What are you going to do about them?

Reactions: bighi
Guys, we need to raise awareness of this issue. And I mean like, yesterday. As for post crack standard operating procedure, there are two choices. Sending it in or super gluing the arms with the best CA one can find. But at the least its time for a good, fresh, New YouTube video on the subject. My shell is now completely glued top to bottom. It works but is far from a a far more elegant solution that DJI is quite capable of. That solution being strengthening the shell. Enough of the over tightening argument. Here is why I have issues with it. Chances are that the same person who tightens those two screws between the motor area and lights on a P2 is the same individual tightening all the others in the center of the shell. Why, why, why don't the others develop stress cracks on the shell from being too tight? Of course because there is more than enough "meat" in the plastic there to not require an assembler to be ridiculously careful with torque. Of course, that is if one bothers with the too tight argument as the entire source of the problem. While it has merit, if the shell was as strong in the arm ends as it is in the center, you could have a chimpanzee tightening the screws and we wouldn't be discussing this problem here. Thickness is the issue.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart