Screw inspection = very bad day

I wonder if amazon is even making money on dji phantoma? It's a matter of time before they stop carrying them with all the headaches they have to deal with as a result of dji incompetence

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

Got a call from DJI tonight. The lady on the phone said she reviewed my video and pictures I sent andsaid she would be sending me a new unit on Monday. She wants me to send mine back once I get mine.

Light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so.
Great news sir. I'm thinking that a giant wave of people will soon reach out to DJI for replacements. You may have beaten the mad rush!

Great news sir. I'm thinking that a giant wave of people will soon reach out to DJI for replacements. You may have beaten the mad rush!
Yes, they will recycle all internals into New P3s, glad I have one now.

Well, it looks like Amazon came through for me. I filed an A-Z claim and they contacted the seller. Seller just sent me an email saying to return it and they will issue me a refund. I hope they fix this so I can get another one at some point.

This appears to be getting big fast. It feels likeDJi is aware now and might be on the cusp of making a decision about this problem (the one replacement offer from DJi, one from Amazon and the comment posted about Bladstrike offering a replacement)?

Yes, they will recycle all internals into New P3s, glad I have one now.
Agreed. A new shell will cost them only pennies, and like you said the returned internals can be recycled. As this grows, most in the future will probably get refurbished units and not even know it.

Going to a birthday party at the beach today and he wants me to bring my P3 so I am. I might put some zip ties on the arms where the cracking is as a temp solution.

Going to a birthday party at the beach today and he wants me to bring my P3 so I am. I might put some zip ties on the arms where the cracking is as a temp solution.
Use gorilla duct tape, if you don't believe how well it works, try to peal it back off and you will see.

Reactions: dirkclod
I'm trying to think through the issue a bit and understand better what is happening. I hope you guys don't mind a question.

Why do you think that loosening and tightening (less) the screws would help. It seems to me that as soon as the screws are snug, that would be enough for the stress to transfer to the bosses and eventually cause cracks. Anything tighter than snug would not matter much, right? Perhaps maybe looser screws would become even looser from the stress, and as a result the cracks are avoided because the stress is relieved before cracks occur?

What do you all think?
Then you'll have too much movement from the motors. It's really a no win here until DJI strengthens the shells. Or glue for extra strength. We have no other choice with the current equipment.

Finally, finally I don't feel alone with this problem. Back when the phantom 3 started being delivered I came in here asking new owners about cracks. You guys can dig up my old posts. A good question considering I had cracks on every phantom 1 and 2 I owned and I owned plenty. I was curious as hell if they solved the issue once and for all considering the development costs of the phantom 3 which included a shell redesign. A couple of guys posted but really I might as well have been asking for new Virgin Mary sightings. Hence I figured, man, I gotta take my chances cause these guys still don't know how to look for cracks. And of course, the DJI folks always sort of not spending too much time on stress crack threads. And if they did it was always, oh, must have been the pilot. Mind you, most of us who are pissed about this never ever crash and hand catch. Anyway, I figured I'd order two in case one cracked cause dealing with DJI can often times seem like being a pilot in the Soviet Union and complaining to Mikoyan design bureau about stress cracks on a MIG. No way sir, you the pilot screwed up because a MIG is the best craft known to man. Sort of a put up or shut up when it came to phantom 2 and 3 stress cracks. But finally, since so many of us bought at a very close period of time, the issue, a massive one at that, is getting traction. And it should because this is utterly ridiculous to have in such a short period of time and on a craft that is a total overhaul and refinement of a prior craft which already suffered from cracks. Different location, sure, but cracks nonetheless. Let's see what DJI will do because this time the stress crack thread will not die a slow death. Inform other phantom owners about this matter and we will finally have a chance at a phantom where we owners can concentrate on flying and not looking for cracks and crazy gluing.

Finally, finally I don't feel alone with this problem. Back when the phantom 3 started being delivered I came in here asking new owners about cracks. You guys can dig up my old posts. A good question considering I had cracks on every phantom 1 and 2 I owned and I owned plenty. I was curious as hell if they solved the issue once and for all considering the development costs of the phantom 3 which included a shell redesign. A couple of guys posted but really I might as well have been asking for new Virgin Mary sightings. Hence I figured, man, I gotta take my chances cause these guys still don't know how to look for cracks. And of course, the DJI folks always sort of not spending too much time on stress crack threads. And if they did it was always, oh, must have been the pilot. Mind you, most of us who are pissed about this never ever crash and hand catch. Anyway, I figured I'd order two in case one cracked cause dealing with DJI can often times seem like being a pilot in the Soviet Union and complaining to Mikoyan design bureau about stress cracks on a MIG. No way sir, you the pilot screwed up because a MIG is the best craft known to man. Sort of a put up or shut up when it came to phantom 2 and 3 stress cracks. But finally, since so many of us bought at a very close period of time, the issue, a massive one at that, is getting traction. And it should because this is utterly ridiculous to have in such a short period of time and on a craft that is a total overhaul and refinement of a prior craft which already suffered from cracks. Different location, sure, but cracks nonetheless. Let's see what DJI will do because this time the stress crack thread will not die a slow death. Inform other phantom owners about this matter and we will finally have a chance at a phantom where we owners can concentrate on flying and not looking for cracks and crazy gluing.

Out of curiosity, where do you live, or more importantly perhaps is what kind of environment do you mostly fly in?

I always fly high as well, playing around trees is something for the toy quad to do. As an aside, I was thinking of taking my P3 to Zillertal with me. No issues with Austria and quads?

Use gorilla duct tape, if you don't believe how well it works, try to peal it back off and you will see.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435963017.369350.jpg

Guerrilla tape and CG mod...god it sickens me to even think I had to do this...

Test flight soon, and I'll save a battery for a first night test flight later....

I always fly high as well, playing around trees is something for the toy quad to do. As an aside, I was thinking of taking my P3 to Zillertal with me. No issues with Austria and quads?

I wholeheartedly agree. If one just must have a video of that tree near where they stand, go fly something smaller and cheaper. DJI didn't go and deliver a light bridge equipped craft for dicking around trees. Anyway, no worries in Austria. Just shoot me a PM.

One more day of a lot of flying and super glue is still holding like a champ. Seems like a solid solution. Flying has still been mostly over the Adriatic sea.

org_0bc1a42fc66e0350.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: snowghost

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj