Screw inspection = very bad day

So far so good with my third Phantom, almost an hour of fligh time... I went ahead and made a second pass with Loctite in the areas where the gaps were more noticeable. It's rock solid now, probably twice as rigid as it came from the factory. I have a good feeling about this modification.

Just backed out all screws and retightened. One screw was really tight, all the rest were moderately tight. I have only flown it once but no cracks that I can see yet. I will go the glue route when they first appear and leave it at that.

Just backed out all screws and retightened. One screw was really tight, all the rest were moderately tight. I have only flown it once but no cracks that I can see yet. I will go the glue route when they first appear and leave it at that.

I forgot to mention that I also backed out the screws on mine and torqued them down gently. I think this is an important thing to do... But I will also say that I already tried doing this on my second Phantom, no other modifications, and it did not hold up either. That's the only reason why I decided to take no chances with my third and glued it up from the get go. I'm not interested in seeing any more cracks. I'll probably lose it if I do. Hahaha... Ha.

Last edited:
That's great to hear. Did you happen to ask if they know what caused the cracks? It's one thing to have it happen to you once, but twice is something completely different.

I forgot to mention that I also backed out the screws on mine and torqued them down gently. I think this is an important thing to do... But I will also say that I already tried doing this on my second Phantom, no other modifications, and it did not hold up either. That's the only reason why I decided to take no chances with my third and glued it up from the get go. I'm not interested in seeing any more cracks. I'll probably lose it if I do. Hahaha... Ha.
I'm trying to think through the issue a bit and understand better what is happening. I hope you guys don't mind a question.

Why do you think that loosening and tightening (less) the screws would help?

It seems to me that as soon as the screws are snug, that would be enough for the stress to transfer to the bosses and eventually cause cracks. Anything tighter than snug would not matter much, right?

Are you guys thinking that looser screws would become even looser from the stress, and as a result the cracks are avoided because the stress is relieved before cracks occur? Is that why you think loosening the screws will help in some way? Won't that just make the P3 wobbly?

What do you all think? What benefit is seen with loosening the screws?

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Got a call from DJI tonight. The lady on the phone said she reviewed my video and pictures I sent andsaid she would be sending me a new unit on Monday. She wants me to send mine back once I get mine.

Light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so.
Great news!

UPDATE:

Got a call from DJI tonight. The lady on the phone said she reviewed my video and pictures I sent andsaid she would be sending me a new unit on Monday. She wants me to send mine back once I get mine.

Light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so.
How long have you owned it? Way past the 30 days?

Anyone else see or have cracks in these locations? I'm going to check my P3 when I get home later.

Yes, I'm pissed. I have cracks on mine and its never seen a bump or crash. I've only babied. This is a problem for sure. I just noticed this.

We all know that screw torque isn't the issue silver. Hell, that's why when I ordered the phantom 3 I went ahead and ordered 2 not trusting DJI to have strengthened the third generation phantom shell. But now we know how to strengthen them. One of these days I'll take my extra new one out of the box and glue it. This time with even less mess :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435926619.554300.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435926721.184078.jpg

Here are my cracks. DJI wants me to send it in for repair. He said I would probably have to pay for it. I am trying to get them Amazon or HeliDirect to just refund me. Gonna check out the 3DR Solo if I can get a refund. Such an obvious defect that will eventually just get worse until it falls out of the sky. I am not willing to glue a $1200 product.

View attachment 23767
View attachment 23768

Here are my cracks. DJI wants me to send it in for repair. He said I would probably have to pay for it. I am trying to get them Amazon or HeliDirect to just refund me. Gonna check out the 3DR Solo if I can get a refund. Such an obvious defect that will eventually just get worse until it falls out of the sky. I am not willing to glue a $1200 product.

Strange that Kman above got offered a new unit sent out, even before he returned his yet you have to go through the months+ long repair service, i would bring this up in a call for sure - Adam

Strange that Kman above got offered a new unit sent out, even before he returned his yet you have to go through the months+ long repair service, i would bring this up in a call for sure - Adam

I am going to call US support back today and bring this up. I also sent them an email earlier this morning with pictures and also pointing out that others have received replacement units not offers of a repair. Also made a claim with Amazon and emailed the actual store in Massachusetts that I purchased it through via Amazon. I know they wont help me though because I talked to them yesterday and they said there is nothing they can do if the package is opened and over 14 days. I bought it May 26.

I can understand why Amazon can't help anymore, but DJI should be able to replace yours just as they did Kman's. blade strike offered me the same thing too, but I had already sent my first unit back to the original seller. He ended up contacting them in order to acquire the unit for 'study.'

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT