Screw inspection = very bad day

I checked my P3 with 6 hours on it--mostly hand catch landings, and my P2 V+, thankfully no cracks on either at this point. Very concerning though. Will inspect closely every flight.
Check it at 10 hours. Surprise.

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker but first time poster. I wish I had done more homework on the P3P/A. I ordered mine from newegg yesterday and THEN started looking at other forums and then I landed here. Luckilly I contacted newegg and talked to their rep. The bird was scheduled for delivery today but the rep said all I needed to do was refuse the package from UPS. No restocking fee , no return ship fee. So, I refused the package today and its on its way back to newegg. I got really lucky on this and I truly feel for all the folks that have a fractured bird and the headache that goes along with it. I dont care what anyone says: pay 1200 for a new item, there should not be any issues with it. I have the P2V+ and love it but was wanting something more...so besides another DJI product, what are my options ? Dont really wanna spend 3k on an Inspire and give money to DJI for producing sub par products...

If you get the Loctite 401 instant adhesive, the included tip is perfect for the job. My technique simply involved glueing about 2 inches at a time, while keeping the seam orientated so that the glue is pulled in by gravity. Immediately after applying the instant adhesive, wipe off any excess... Like within 5-8 seconds. I did get a little sloppy in some areas by applying too much glue and taking too long to wipe it off, but it's hardly noticeable. Once this stuff dries, it ain't comin' off.

Buff any dried excess with Mr Clean dry eraser pads. Not perfect, but not too aggressive either.

A paper towel wiped it off well. I ended up glueing most of the perimeter of the shell. The only areas that didn't get any glue are the sections on the front arms where the stickers wrap over the seam and also the rounded portion that's on the outer most part of each arm. I focused on the flatter sections on the seam.

It's one of those things where just the arms from end of the lights area on to the end is enough. But, then you say, hmm what the hell, let me do the whole thing since I've gotten pretty good at it and besides, he whole thing bonded won't hurt. So I did the entire perimeter on the seam. It becomes one piece. A lot more solid.

A paper towel wiped it off well. I ended up glueing most of the perimeter of the shell. The only areas that didn't get any glue are the sections on the front arms where the stickers wrap over the seam and also the rounded portion that's on the outer most part of each arm. I focused on the flatter sections on the seam.

Me too, hehe, that's the only section that didn't get glue :)

You made a mistake rejecting the delivery, if you did. This is a fantastic machine, fantastic control, great flying ability, great range, and great photo/video. MINE HAS CRACKS too. I don't care. I glued them up. It's fine.

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker but first time poster. I wish I had done more homework on the P3P/A. I ordered mine from newegg yesterday and THEN started looking at other forums and then I landed here. Luckilly I contacted newegg and talked to their rep. The bird was scheduled for delivery today but the rep said all I needed to do was refuse the package from UPS. No restocking fee , no return ship fee. So, I refused the package today and its on its way back to newegg. I got really lucky on this and I truly feel for all the folks that have a fractured bird and the headache that goes along with it. I dont care what anyone says: pay 1200 for a new item, there should not be any issues with it. I have the P2V+ and love it but was wanting something more...so besides another DJI product, what are my options ? Dont really wanna spend 3k on an Inspire and give money to DJI for producing sub par products...

You made a mistake rejecting the delivery, if you did. This is a fantastic machine, fantastic control, great flying ability, great range, and great photo/video. MINE HAS CRACKS too. I don't care. I glued them up. It's fine.

What glue did you use and how did you apply it? Any more cracks since?

I put it on the crack and along the seam on the affected arms. I did not do nearly as nice a job as was demonstrated by someone else, much earlier - like 10 pages up -- in this thread.

Anyone discussed on here a possible 3d printed clip on support system.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Finally got an email from DJI Support via ZenDesk ticket 161305 at 3:30pm PST. Email is from a "B. G." at DJI Support. His comment on my ticket says, "assisted customer over the phone"

Funny thing is no one has called me. Is DJI Support really this incompetent?

I agree. The fact is that the DJI Phantom 3 is the best value and performance drone you can buy at this time. That's why DJI gets away with all these little annoyances.

You should have accepted it and backed out the screws and hand tightened them. If it still cracks in 10 hours, glue it and buy a new, possibly redesigned shell in a few years if you haven't upgraded by then.

Should I just glue the shells together or should I take the top off and put some epoxy around the screw holes on the bottom part of the shell and around where the motors screw into the shell?

Should I just glue the shells together or should I take the top off and put some epoxy around the screw holes on the bottom part of the shell and around where the motors screw into the shell?

You could do both, but I believe that adding epoxy only around the screw holes will not solve the lack of rigidity. IMO, without more rigidity, it is bound to happen again.. Probably in a new location. I suppose you could try gouping it on if you want to avoid losing the ability of opening the shell. I plan on trying the hot knife method if the day ever comes where DJI updates the shell design. Until then, I have no reason to need to open the shell.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164