San Diego no fly zone?

Reaction score
Hey im new to the forum, had the p3a for about a month and am down in san diego for the week. Specifically mission bay. I went for a sunset flight today when some security guards at the park approached me and said i couldnt fly it here. I went out to a point that was away from the campground and took off. I got a warning saying that i was in an area where i was responsible for my quad which i knew already so i took off flew for maybe 3 minutes at about 40ft in the air and a few people coming by on bicycles were saying that i needed to not fly anywhere around here and i would have my phantom confiscated. They were law enforcement, just randoms. I didnt want an argument or anything so i just came back and landed. Probably like 2:45 secods of actual flight time. I can not find a good flight map, the 3 or 4 i found showed me in the 5 mile radius of the airport and to stay under 400ft, which i thought was the rule everywhere anyways????
So can someone direct me to a map showing where i can and cannot fly down here?? Or maybe a local who knows?

Thanks

Gonna be in SD next week. I looked up areas where I can fly and pretty much most of SD is NFZ. However from La Jolla going north looks good. I didn't see any NFZ areas there. I'm planning to shoot along the beaches. Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone came up to me and told me I have to go somewhere else. In case that happens, that's what Litchi is for. I pre plan the mission, launch from somewhere where no one would bug me, come back, then get out of Dodge. But if no one says anything, great.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Gonna be in SD next week. I looked up areas where I can fly and pretty much most of SD is NFZ. However from La Jolla going north looks good. I didn't see any NFZ areas there. I'm planning to shoot along the beaches. Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone came up to me and told me I have to go somewhere else. In case that happens, that's what Litchi is for. I pre plan the mission, launch from somewhere where no one would bug me, come back, then get out of Dodge. But if no one says anything, great.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Hmm on the dji link posted above it looks like most of san diego is in the yellow area which as i understand you can fly you just cant go over 400ft up. Which i thought was the law everywhere

If you're looking for a safe place to fly, I would not use a Chinese no fly map. The one I use is airmap.io.

Of course, you can't rely on a map alone - you will have to use common sense as well.

BTW, here is the current DJI no fly map: DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones

Reactions: N017RW
Hmm on the dji link posted above it looks like most of san diego is in the yellow area which as i understand you can fly you just cant go over 400ft up. Which i thought was the law everywhere

Not if you are close to an airport. And there are several airports around SD area. Many military installations. Regardless of any flight maps, in my experience a lot of people are against drones because they don't know much about it. All they know are the negative publicities. And they think drones are out to spy on them LOL. With that said, expect more of your experience at Mission Bay to happen again and again. You are right on with what you did. It's best not to argue especially with authority figures. If you really want to shoot at Mission Bay, do it with the Litchi app and create a waypoint mission. Launch somewhere where you can see the entire area but no one around you. Execute the mission from there. Even if you loose signal, it will continue with the mission and come back (RTH). Just make sure you don't run out of battery juice. The other day I was at a park and the same thing happened. I was told to go somewhere else. But I really had to get the shot. I moved to the parking lot and executed my Litchi mission from there. Took about 5 minutes and I got my shot.

some of those listed are old, airports that are completely shut down and so forth

also what is "warning" out in the middle of no where a yellow circle

If you're looking for a safe place to fly, I would not use a Chinese no fly map. The one I use is airmap.io.

Of course, you can't rely on a map alone - you will have to use common sense as well.

BTW, here is the current DJI no fly map: DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones
Thank you for the great link, and this shows mission bay as ok to fly. Im guessing the security doesnt want drones flying around for personal reasons and the passer by didnt know wat he was talkin about. Ill try to locate a police officer today and see if he/she happens to know if im all good to fly around this area.
Thanks for the help and im hoping to get litchi soon and start playing with it.

There an app named Hover which is pretty helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl