Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

chippy jfl said:

Yep, I did.

It comes with landing leg extensions, which means it won't fit in my flight case fitted to the aircraft;
It's not plug-and-play - watch the installation video, you need to take the lid off the aircraft and there is some soldering to do;
The connection to the gimbal means you can't use a lens filter kit;
I notice in their non-flying demo video they didn't have the camera lead plugged in to the camera for some reason...
Comes with 7th channel lever;
Price is rock bottom!

Doesn't carbon fibre have a tendency to mess with 2.4 and 5.8 transmissions? Or is that only if you have whole frames and fuselages of the stuff?

Pull_Up said:
Doesn't carbon fibre have a tendency to mess with 2.4 and 5.8 transmissions? Or is that only if you have whole frames and fuselages of the stuff?

100% sure it is not made of real carbon fiber but some cheap carbon/glass fiber sandwich board.

OK, I know this is off topic, but I'm bored waiting for new news. I thought of a really cool FPV solution for the Vision today. Hook up a iPhone (or android) using the HDMI out to a FatShark Dominator HD set of FPV goggles. You would not need to buy ANY of the extra modals for the Dominator HD as it comes with HDMI. IPhone in pocket or on Controlled, and 45º FPV view with telemetry in the goggles. No fuss no muss, nothing extra on the bird or controller (except extreme range antennas :roll: )
OK, OK, back to the regularly scheduled thread.......

Pull_Up said:
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8774

:)
Killjoy... Boo!!
By the way, the Dominator HD does not come out until mid April and will have the widest FOV so far, 45º, and the 1st one to accept HDMI direct, a more elegant solution as it only takes one thin, short Mini HDMI cable to be in business.

First off: I think the design is crap, the plug is not angled, there is need for soldering and leg extensions should not be nessary. Two small screws to hold the main part of the gimbal to the base plate through two rods seems flimsy. A part from that it it off topic :)

A note: To my best knowledge, carbon fiber is actually radiolucent? http://carbonfiber.com/faq.aspx?q=1&c=1
But there are A LOT of posts all over the internet, where people discuss this matter, always in connection with RC airplanes and quads...

onesNzeros said:
I'm order 962. Why have I not got shipment notification yet??? Geez! It's been a whole 5 hours since I placed the order!! :lol: :lol:

your statement is funny now..you are 962..come back in 3 years and review this post when you get your gimbal.

I have another question, though.. with you folks that are installing this gimbal and having your capacitor on the board blow, who is responsible for this? Is RP paying to replace your boards or you? I see this capacitor blowing out thing is because of people pulling/inserting the white camera plug while the Phantom is powered on. Who is to blame? And if this has slowed production of the RP gimbal, how can RP possibly fix a problem which is clearly a DJI design issue? If that is the case, why has production of the RP gimbal pretty much come to a halt?

oh, btw..my original rp gimbal purchase which I cancelled was #367 if you are wondering. it's march 27th. look up when this went live. good luck.

tizzl10 said:
I have another question, though.. with you folks that are installing this gimbal and having your capacitor on the board blow, who is responsible for this? Is RP paying to replace your boards or you? I see this capacitor blowing out thing is because of people pulling/inserting the white camera plug while the Phantom is powered on. Who is to blame? And if this has slowed production of the RP gimbal, how can RP possibly fix a problem which is clearly a DJI design issue? If that is the case, why has production of the RP gimbal pretty much come to a halt?

oh, btw..my original rp gimbal purchase which I cancelled was #367 if you are wondering. it's march 27th. look up when this went live. good luck.
Don't Search much or have terrific reading skills? Last paragraph:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6508&p=88530

Searching further for "capacitor" will advise you hot-plugging the camera cable is ill-advised and potentially lethal to your Vision (NOP) or to the camera (NoPic) or to its wifi (bind repeater failed) all of which have happened to members already w/o RP or by hot-plugging an extension cable. RP's connector has already been resolved & no one will receive an RP with a potentially faulty connector.

iDrone

chippy jfl said:

Comparing that to the RP gimbal is like
Comparing a Kia to a Mercedes. You get what you pay for...

To those who talk about selling their P2V for a P2...if you're waiting on a RP gimbal....why? RP will have mounts for the GoPro and other cameras and the Zenmuse will only do a GoPro.

Scottrod said:
chippy jfl said:
To those who talk about selling their P2V for a P2...if you're waiting on a RP gimbal....why? RP will have mounts for the GoPro and other cameras and the Zenmuse will only do a GoPro.

Had the RP gimbal been released in a reasonable rate of production I would have been all over it as an all in one solution, as I love the versatility of the vision.I have 2 needs for the thing, stills and video. But I have secured a few contracts to do some aerial video and still photography work that starts mid May, and I can't wait any longer. One of these contracts will pay 5k, enough for 3 X vision + Zenmuse plus all the other goodies needed.

What I am going to do is keep my Vision for the stills, as I think it is a superior platform to the P2 for calibrating, and controlling the shutter via remote. I will add the P2 + Zenmuse +++ for my video needs. A retailer here is selling a RTF P2 package with 7" screen, 2 batteries, DJI video link and iOSD mini for $1649. I already have a GoPro 3+ Black so I am good there. So with my current kit I will have 4 batteries, and 2 platforms that will work well for their intended purposes. I am building my own little Airforce it seems lol.

If all goes well, I will definitely be looking at a rig to accommodate a 5D next year. I have done well making a nice little side income doing run of the mill photography since the explosion of the DSLR market, and I truly think this is the next level. I feel for you guys in the US, that can't jump in this market commercially, there are some awesome opportunities right now if you know where to look. When you are quoting companies that have been use to renting frikking helicopters to do the work I will be doing, anything under 10k is a drop in the bucket to them.

For those who have bailed out of their RP orders waiting on a fancy new gimbal from DJI, what do you then do when there is a problem with it and you have to rely on the wonderful DJI after sales service ?? :lol:

At least RP has some customer service and problems get sorted ! - wait for DJI to sort it and your phantom will be covered in cobwebs and dust from non use ! (promptly puts tin hat on)

;)

Geert said:
pyrophantom said:
For those who have bailed out of their RP orders waiting on a fancy new gimbal from DJI, what do you then do when there is a problem with it and you have to rely on the wonderful DJI after sales service ?? :lol:

At least RP has some customer service and problems get sorted ! - wait for DJI to sort it and your phantom will be covered in cobwebs and dust from non use ! (promptly puts tin hat on)

;)

Good point Pyro.
As one of the first P2V owners I had to deal with several issues including invalid battery.
My bird dropped out of the sky once for no reason, fortunately little damage.
I wrote about 17 emails to DJI . 16 emails were unanswered. Just got 1 email back 2 sentences long to let me know that I should keep my pins and battery contacts clean. The dealer told me I have to accept that things can go wrong when playing with RC toys and accept it. At that point I considered the sell my PV because of the lack of service but eventually I didn't.
There is nothing more frustrating when you have a problem and the manufacturer or dealer is not responding.
Believe me, you don't want to deal with DJI's customer service.

This can't be said from Rotorpixel.
Every question I had was answered immediately or within a reasonable time.
The issue I had is straighten out.
I am pretty sure RP will continue with this excellent customer service.

you have got a point there my p2v came down for no reason loads of damages did not e-mail DJI as when I have emailed them in the pass they have never got back to me once. DJI customer service is not the best in the world and god knows when am going to get my p2v back for the dealer as they and got to wait to see what DJI say

Being on this thread is like being on a kids' roundabout - everything keeps coming round again...

Yes, there are cheaper gimbals... Yes they are shipping now... Yes, there are more expensive gimbals... Yes, some people don't like waiting... Yes, there are other options available... Yes, people who've taken other options keep coming back here to tell us all about them... Yes, it appears some people like collecting plastic Chinese gimbals... Yes there was a small batch of gimbals with a QC issue on soldering... Yes, people affected have been dealt with... Yes, the people who had an issue have come back to say they are happy with RP handling of it... Yes, Keri's start-low-volume-with-a-new-assembly-process practice paid off in catching this... Yes, most people are still waiting patiently for this one despite the other options available... Yes, it appears a lot of people aren't looking purely at a price point but at features and future uses.

Can you stop pushing me round now Dad, I think I'm going to be sick...

Pull_Up said:
Being on this thread is like being on a kids' roundabout - everything keeps coming round again...

Yes, there are cheaper gimbals... Yes they are shipping now... Yes, there are more expensive gimbals... Yes, some people don't like waiting... Yes, there are other options available... Yes, people who've taken other options keep coming back here to tell us all about them... Yes, it appears some people like collecting plastic Chinese gimbals... Yes there was a small batch of gimbals with a QC issue on soldering... Yes, people affected have been dealt with... Yes, the people who had an issue have come back to say they are happy with RP handling of it... Yes, Keri's start-low-volume-with-a-new-assembly-process practice paid off in catching this... Yes, most people are still waiting patiently for this one despite the other options available... Yes, it appears a lot of people aren't looking purely at a price point but at features and future uses.

Can you stop pushing me round now Dad, I think I'm going to be sick...
come on simon you have got to have a laugh with some of the thinks that people say on here even you put the odd joke up. boys and they toys and lets face it the RP gimbal is a new toy and everyone wants to be the first kid in the street have it

I'm always up for a laugh (as you know if you've seen any of my videos) but it's just getting a bit boring seeing the same old things coming around for the third or fourth time...

Still, on a more relevant note... Keri, if we want to take the gimbal to another aircraft and use the upcoming gopro mount will you be able to supply an adapter for the power/camera socket so we can just solder a jack plug lead into another aircraft making the gimbal easy to swap back and fourth between Vision and other? Would make swapping over plug and play once you'd fitted the new power take-off to aircraft two. I'm sure I could do it myself if I was a handy solderer but I like the way you made the gimbal-to-Vision cable and plug - much neater job than I'd ever be able to do!

WeaponsHot said:
gunslinger said:
WeaponsHot said:
Although many other factors could be compared between these two prototype procedures, the outcome is already clear. While 3D printing is extremely useful in the early stages of a product, injection molding is absolutely the best path to take when creating a more formalized and finalized prototype.

read the entire article here.
https://www.thalmic.com/blog/3d-printin ... lmic-labs/
:D

Of course there are a lot of other factors that play into this. Are there other items you could injection mold? Do you plan on being in the manufacturing business for the long haul, and feel you'll have other items that might make injection molding more attractive, etc...

-slinger

Roger That, that is why you use a contract manufacturer and amortize (the piece price is increased by some percent to cover the tooling) the tooling over the production run, so you don't have to be in that business. And the electronics also lend themselves to Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS). Spent 15 years in that business.
But it all depends on lot sizes, the more you build the cheeper it is, your quality and repeatability goes up as well as your profit margin. You can do the final integration and testing or the EMS company can do that for you as well called "turn key". With 30 day payment terms you don't have to pay them until 30 days later after the product ships. Great if you have a backlog, bad if your product is not on the market yet. This Enables you to focus on the next design, customer service and marketing. Without expanding those things-no sales. Its a very familiar do loop. The Brains of the outfit gets caught up in manufacturing of the product and is not allowed to be the brains he/she becomes the fixer. Myself I love being on the manufacturing floor, I miss it.

+1 (I miss manufacturing as well... Nothing like actually producing something... )

Now that Keri is back in the saddle... Give him a chance. I was a bit disappointed when I found out he was heading to the Domican Republic for whale studies a few weeks ago. I believed the promises made to get this process rolling and boost production was more important (at least from my own perspective).
However, thats water under the bridge. If he gets busy as he claims he is going to.. And starts pushing more than a handful of gimbals out the door every week, then i will be patient.... It was not seeing any progress or broken promises, that i was concerned with early on,... all of that seems to have been resolved now, i hope.

Lets give him a chance now he is overseeing the process again.

2 cents.

The Rookie

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3